Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cocothehouseboy
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Beware of end of contract scare tactics from Telus reps.

Tonight my wife got a call on her blackberry from a Telus rep apparently from India. The call started by informing her that her grandfathered contract would expire in two months and that she would not be able to extend it in any way, the only option she would have would be to get a new blackberry and sign a new contract. The rep told her she had to do this with in one months time and that he had annotated her account to show this. When my wife said she was perfectly happy with what she already had and did not want to change phones or plans the rep again told her she had only 30 days to go get a new phone and contract or she would start to have problems with her current phone and contract.

At this point she was in tears and was asking him why this had never been mentioned before and all he could say was this is the way it is and you have 30 days to get a new phone and contract before you start having problems. This conversation went on for thirty minutes and the rep was so convincing that she thought she had no choice. My wife and I talked about it for a few minutes and I even said to her that this sounds like some kind of a scare tactic to clear out old stock before BB 10 takes over.

She decided to call customer service and guess what. Her contract does expire in two months but not to worry said the CS rep as you can just pay it month to month until such time you decide to upgrade. Great what about this annotation on my account stating I have 30 days before I begin to have problems she asked the CS rep ? Well guess what, the annotation was actually there from this person. The CS rep said they would file a complaint against this other rep. But still my wife was put through **** by this person for no other reason I can think of other than to get rid of what will be unsellable stock in two months.

Hopefully this will help some one else if they get the same kind of phone call, and if any of you mods want to post this else where you have my blessing.

Shame on you Telus.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,098 Global Posts

I agree...this is a shameful tactic. I have a feeling it's more about the plan than the phone, though.
    Several friends have experienced this kind of "strong arming" tactic with different phones. Telus wants
    the contract.

Good for her in standing her ground.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

She should demand some kind of satisfaction (discount on the next phone or plan) for the BS she had go go through. I used to be with Rogers and one thing they did when i didn't extend my contract was they increased my monthly plan amount by about $25 by taking all the discounts i had.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Does she have a retention plan with free/discounted features that have expiry dates tied to the contract end date?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Unfortunately each company always seem to have a few bad seeds working for them. I would encourage anyone who gets a call like that to call into client care to report it. These calls do have a digital trail.

It's been about 10 months since I worked at a TELUS dealership but there's no such thing as a forced change to a plan or phone due to a grandfathered plan.

If you are currently on contract and you are close to renewal, you may receive calls from these reps who will try to get you to renew. Nature of the business.

But you do not have to resign to ensure continued service. Once a contract expires, the plan continues. The only thing that changes is that there is no fee to cancel if you so choose.

The only real pain point with the whole contract renewal and plan process is if you have an old plan back from the CDMA days. Most of those plans are not supported on the HSPA/LTE network and you will need to change your plan if you want to renew a contract or even if you buy a device outright.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by killthelights64 View Post
    Unfortunately each company always seem to have a few bad seeds working for them. I would encourage anyone who gets a call like that to call into client care to report it. These calls do have a digital trail.

It's been about 10 months since I worked at a TELUS dealership but there's no such thing as a forced change to a plan or phone due to a grandfathered plan.

If you are currently on contract and you are close to renewal, you may receive calls from these reps who will try to get you to renew. Nature of the business.

But you do not have to resign to ensure continued service. Once a contract expires, the plan continues. The only thing that changes is that there is no fee to cancel if you so choose.

The only real pain point with the whole contract renewal and plan process is if you have an old plan back from the CDMA days. Most of those plans are not supported on the HSPA/LTE network and you will need to change your plan if you want to renew a contract or even if you buy a device outright.

Current hearings between the CRTC and Telus have revealed that there is a 10% DISCOUNT on your service at TELUS if your contract term is over, and you go month to month. Reference: the Nation Post
    CRTC wireless hearings: Telus opposes $50 cap on excess fees | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

In another article (which I cannot find for the life of me), the Senior VP of Telus, Ted Woodhead, said that the discount information is on the Telus website, but I cannot find it there. My suggestion would be to call customer service and ask about this directly. My contract expires in 1 month, and I will be pursuing this.
    lalingo likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cocothehouseboy View Post
    Current hearings between the CRTC and Telus have revealed that there is a 10% DISCOUNT on your service at TELUS if your contract term is over, and you go month to month. Reference: the Nation Post
    CRTC wireless hearings: Telus opposes $50 cap on excess fees | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

In another article (which I cannot find for the life of me), the Senior VP of Telus, Ted Woodhead, said that the discount information is on the Telus website, but I cannot find it there. My suggestion would be to call customer service and ask about this directly. My contract expires in 1 month, and I will be pursuing this.
    That must be new. Or not advertised. I didn't even know about it. On the website right now they are advertising 10% discount if you bring your own phone to Telus and sign up month to month.

CrackBerry Abuser

I have a strange call almost two week ago telling me I could upgrade my phone and when I said I already did they asked what phone I was interested in and I said I already upgraded I am NOT interested and they hung up on me.
    I immediately contacted Telus and had them add my name to a no contact list or something similar.
    Former: Motorola MicroTac- Motorola V120x - Nokia 3280 - Audiovox 8600 - Audiovox 8410 - Samsung A920 - LG Vx8500 (Chocolate) - BlackBerry Pearl 8130 - LG Vx9700 (Dare) - BlackBerry Curve 8530 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - BlackBerry Torch 9810

Current: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB WiFi; BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB WiFi; BlackBerry Z10!!!

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

UPDATE:
    My wife and I both upgraded our phones when the Z10 came out and after telling the sales people about my wifes phone call we were both able to keep our already grandfathered plans on our new contracts. The sales people were concerned about the call and did not want to loose repeat customers. We were both very happy when we left the store.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

as a poster above mentioned the only thing I would be concerned about is that occasionally the loyalties department adds on things like caller ID or other features which are free or discounted for the duration of your contract. In these circumstances your monthly bill will go up after the end of your term.

Also its a common misconception that you have to change out of a grandfathered plan. You do not always have to do so. As long as you are happy with the plan exactly as it is you can often keep it, provided your services are compatible with your new hardware. One example of where this would not work is some of the plans which had free bbm, social media or data for the older OS 7 series and below. This data feature is not compatible with the z10 or other smartphones so that would not work on your new bb.