CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Activating Telus Storm 9550 To use on Rogers Network

Hey guys im wondering if any of you telus users can help me out with something. I am planning on buyin a telus blackberry storm 2(9550) and getting it unlocked to use on my rogers network,however i am wondering if I will need to get it activated by telus and pay another 30 dollars or whatever it is ontop of the full price or if there is another way to go about activating the phone. I have got some responses and people have said I can go to rogers and ask them to allow the phone to be used on their network or possibly get it activated from somewhere other then telus for cheaper. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I'll handle this one guys...

Storm2 9550 is a CDMA Phone. It does now work with the Roger's Network since it's GSM. The Storm2 9550 is a CDMA Phone that only has a GSM Signal that works with the 2100mHZ frequency.

the 2100mHZ frequency is NOT used in North America, which is why/how the Storm2 is a World Phone.

So, to recap:

You CANNOT unlock a Storm2 to use the Rogers Network cause the Storm is a CDMA device and the Roger's Network is a GSM Network. They are two different technologies that are not capable with each other

So, to recap again:

You cannot use a Storm2 9550 on the Rogers Network
    CrackBerry User

allow me to retort:

the 9550 supports 2G technologies (it's a quad-band GSM phone), as such you CAN use the 9550 with the rogers network, but you will only get EDGE connectivity. don't expect 3G utms.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

lol neither reply answered my question ahhaha
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    PIN
    point

Don't tell rogers anything. Get the device (ensure that its new and that the PIN's never been used), unlock it, pop your sim card in, make sure you have a valid blackberry data plan on your account, and go register on the rogers BIS site and go to town. That answer your question? :P
    Signed,
    A Certified CrackBerry Addict with 7 too many BlackBerry's.
    Former Telus Communications Employee (not Mobility)
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by fraunhofer View Post
    Don't tell rogers anything. Get the device (ensure that its new and that the PIN's never been used), unlock it, pop your sim card in, make sure you have a valid blackberry data plan on your account, and go register on the rogers BIS site and go to town. That answer your question? :P
    haha thats more like it...yup that pretty much answers it now hopefully it works because someone else told me they got their storm 2 phone unlocked but it had the activation required message on their phone after and they had to beg telus to give them the activation code which is specific to each device or something.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jessgo03 View Post
    haha thats more like it...yup that pretty much answers it now hopefully it works because someone else told me they got their storm 2 phone unlocked but it had the activation required message on their phone after and they had to beg telus to give them the activation code which is specific to each device or something.
    Just unlocked my Telus Storm 9550 and got it working with Rogers... partially. From what I can tell, it connects in EDGE mode and data and browsing works. However, no luck with email yet.