Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Wi-Fi calling problem

I’m having a wi-fi calling problem with my Q10 that I’ve not seen mentioned in any threads. When on a call, I often get a little “bloop-bloop” sound (sort of like a busy signal) and then the call often seems to drop. I say “seems to drop” because I hear nothing, but the party on the other side says they have no idea I can’t hear them and go right on talking. I thought this problem was unique to my office, where I have an unfortunate combination of very poor wireless coverage AND very poor wi-fi coverage. But today I had the same problem in a location where I had excellent wireless coverage (albeit roaming) and pretty good wi-fi. I turned off wi-fi calling and had no problems.

Any suggestions? I hate to leave wi-fi turned off because there’s so many places (including home) where T-Mo coverage sucks, but wi-fi coverage is pretty good. (BTW, I have wi-fi calling set to “wi-fi preferred.”)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    972 Global Posts

may have you unactivate and reactivate wifi calling
    -Yar I be a pirate according to Phil & Co. at Android Central because I run 10.2 and I sideload!

BBM me at 2B9797D9
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,882 Global Posts

I get the "blooping" sound when I am on the edge of a wifi signal strong enough to allow wifi-calling to work. You might want to try on a few other routers, but if the wifi signal is solid this shouldn't 't happen.
    If Evolution is Outlawed, only Outlaws will Evolve.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Glad to hear it's not just me, Scrannel. Do you also have the call break up and/or drop completely? So it sounds like it's occuring when the wi-fi signal is marginal--maybe the phone is trying to figure out whether to stay in wi-fi calling, or shift back to wireless (or maybe it does drop out of wi-fi calling, and since the wireless signal is so weak, the call gets dropped.)

Shoot, that's annoying--damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've put in three service tickets to T-Mo and the wireless signal hasn't improved, so I guess the signal just isn't enough to penetrate my building. I'm thinking of bringing in a router to work and setting up my own little hot spot. (Assuming our IT folks don't throw a fit....)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,882 Global Posts

I don't get a dropped call when marginal as I always walk three or four feet and I'm good. It can't transition to cell reception as it could in the days of UMA. If it drops the wifi signal it drops the call. Not sure what you mean by filing a ticket with t-mo to improve your wifi-signal. They could help you possible with cell reception. But it does sound like where ever this is happening you are getting a signal that's just weak enough to cause your problem.

My home has several buildings that are outside the range of house wifi with no hard wire capabilities. So I use a pair of Netgear Powerline Ethernet Adapters You plug one into a regular power outlet and run a cable to it from your regular router. Then, where ever you plug in the second Powerline, you get a very strong signal. So, of course, you can attach a router ( think the newer ones have built-in wifi), and wifi-calling works just fine. At work...?
  6. GJW
    CrackBerry Addict

The beeping does indeed happen when your wifi signal is iffy.

I've also found that sometimes the phone gets in a state where wifi calls will last only 15 to 30 seconds and then it drops the call. I find that the only way to recover from that state is to reboot the phone.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,882 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    I've also found that sometimes the phone gets in a state where wifi calls will last only 15 to 30 seconds and then it drops the call. I find that the only way to recover from that state is to reboot the phone.

Posted via CB10
    I was having this issue and, as I mentioned i another post, a call to T-Mo resolved the issue. Took them about four to five days.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

has anyone had a problem where wifi calling wont connect at all even though you have a strong wifi connection? up until a couple of days ago, my phone connected without a problem . ive tried force closing the app, turning it on and off and finally deleting the connection and re adding it. thanks for any help you guys could offer.

*edit* i was able to get it working again by deleting and sideloading the bar. for some reason bbworld was telling me that wifi calling wasn't available for my phone.
    Last edited by hawklet00; 08-13-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,766 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hawklet00 View Post
    *edit* i was able to get it working again by deleting and sideloading the bar. for some reason bbworld was telling me that wifi calling wasn't available for my phone.
    Could you tell me the name of the bar file(s) you sideloaded? And if you have a link to a specific set of instructions you used to sideload, I would appreciate that as well.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Could you tell me the name of the bar file(s) you sideloaded? And if you have a link to a specific set of instructions you used to sideload, I would appreciate that as well.
    If you need the WFC bar file, 10.1.1.127 can be downloaded from the 10.2.1.2156 package straight from BB: http://cdn.fs.sl.blackberry.com/fs/q...-v7+signed.bar

With that said, the bar by itself cannot repair a broken link to the server. If WFC is down and deleting/reinstalling the bar corrects it then it's purely coincidental. Either the server finally reset itself and authenticated the IMEI or whatever hiccup was in the system cleared itself at the same time. The app is just an on/off switch and cannot give WFC functionality to a radio file that doesn't already have the feature enabled. I'm sure you're aware of this by now but it bears repeating for others.
    Thanked by 2:
    hawklet00 (08-19-2014),  raino (08-19-2014) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

modifier...you beat me to posting the link, but i would not have been able to give that explanation. Thanks!
    Thanked by:
    modifier (08-20-2014)