Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What happend UMA Nov 12th Bold 9900 Update?

Whatever happened to the UMA and possible Hotspot update that was to be released in November via T-Mobile?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

The same thing that hapens to all othe rumor dates. It came and went, that's why I don't put much faith on those rumor updates.

CrackBerry Abuser

I really don't think it's going to happen. Wish it would, because I'd really like to purchase the 9900, but I can't do without UMA.
    CrackBerry Abuser

False advertising! We better get our OS update from T-mobile before November Ends!
    8320 > 8220 > 8900 > 9700 > 9780 > 9900
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Got2bBold13 View Post
    False advertising! We better get our OS update from T-mobile before November Ends!
    Yeah, that's not going to happen either.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,106 Global Posts

The latest rumor is December, at least until December comes and goes.

CrackBerry Abuser

According to some people on the T-Mobile BB forums. The release date for the UMA feature will be 1st quarter of 2012. My guess is March 2012.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

The Canadians don't have UMA either, yet. At least as far as I know. It is a RIM problem. Not TM.
    BB 9700 -- wife replaced her dying BB 8900 w. HTC 4G Slide 8/11. TM had no "up-to-date" BB at the time.
    T-Mobile U.S. (Waiting til next April to see whether to stick w. BB or go Android - if my phone lasts that long)
    CrackBerry Addict

install the lastest leak... os7.1 uma is in there and its working on tmo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Screen shot to prove its in there please.
    CrackBerry User

I just installed OS 7.1 and it has WiFi calling which is similar to UMA, it has a new logo, and it basically does not inerswitch between the tower and wifi, where UMA did it, but it's a great feature for those that have bad service at home.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    280a8807

Quote Originally Posted by akraus88 View Post
    I just installed OS 7.1 and it has WiFi calling which is similar to UMA, it has a new logo, and it basically does not inerswitch between the tower and wifi, where UMA did it, but it's a great feature for those that have bad service at home.
    did you have to delete vendor files and stuff? i was going to install this but i will probably wait for the official version to install on my bb9900.....no hurry since i'm not using yet anyway.
    pin: 2b09bd74
    Austin, Texas, USA

Started with a 7510 to a 8830 to a 9630 to a 9700 to a 9900....and now a Q10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Good to hear that UMA exists at last. I didn't think they would every release it. I doubt we will see an official release here in the U.S. with any vendor.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

It's then end of November. . .damn it. . .I want my update!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts
    PIN
    25B1B168

Um just try 7.1 leaked for the 9900
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    827 Global Posts
    PIN
    25B1B168

I used it UMA on tmo and mobile hotspot works great good.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I can confirm WiFi/UMA calling with T-Mobile on my BB Bold 9900 running OS 7.1 It is not as capable as the Bold 9700....but it works.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:2847118E

Quote Originally Posted by dagerlach View Post
    I can confirm WiFi/UMA calling with T-Mobile on my BB Bold 9900 running OS 7.1 It is not as capable as the Bold 9700....but it works.
    Barely, for me.

Why create such a kick new device and take out one of its best predecessors abilities?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by highline View Post
    Barely, for me.

Why create such a kick new device and take out one of its best predecessors abilities?

Highline -
    When you say "barely works" - are you talking about connectivity or voice quality or both?
    Supposedly, this is simply "wifi calling" - not real UMA that can jump between tower and wifi.
    UMA quallity was almost as good as cell most of the time.
    BB 9700 -- wife replaced her dying BB 8900 w. HTC 4G Slide 8/11. TM had no "up-to-date" BB at the time.
    T-Mobile U.S. (Waiting til next April to see whether to stick w. BB or go Android - if my phone lasts that long)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Highline, I agree with you. It's transceiver seems much weaker than the 9700. I have found areas in my house that used to be just fine with my 9700, but now get a warning from the 9900. That being said, I'm still using the old T-Mobile Linksys router which should probably be upgraded.
    CrackBerry Newbie

The switchover between wifi and cell tower never worked for me anyway on my 8520. I really like the warning tone when you are about to drop wifi signal, but I was really confused the first time I was on a call and heard it. Overall I think the quality is good and I'm just happy to be able to use wifi calling.

T-Mobile apparently is expecting the 7.1 update sometime in the future because I saw this on their Smartphone Mobile Hotspot FAQs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What happend UMA Nov 12th Bold 9900 Update?-img_00000013.jpg  
    Last edited by tonymanifesto; 01-06-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

Who at T-Mobile do I have to yell at? A "leaked OS" just sounds like a bad idea. . .and I'm still kind of confused about the lack of NFC. . .
    CrackBerry Abuser

AfroZeher,

They aren't leaked OS at all. They are usually a newer OS for another carrier that hasn't been adopted by your carrier. In most cases you will find that the OS is stable and provides you with features your carrier for one reason or another has opted to remove.

David
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dagerlach View Post
    AfroZeher,

They aren't leaked OS at all. They are usually a newer OS for another carrier that hasn't been adopted by your carrier. In most cases you will find that the OS is stable and provides you with features your carrier for one reason or another has opted to remove.

David
    OS versions normally have to be tweaked for each carrier. Eg. In the past att took off the option to tether. TM needed the option to use UMA. Many times an OS for one carrier will work on another - but often there will be glitches.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2a26ceb1

They need to hurry up.