CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Warning! No prorated billing for porting out of T-Mobile

I recently left T-Mobile for AT&T. Just so you know, T-Mobile will NOT prorate your final bill. My billing cycle ends on the 19th. I left on the 4th. But they charged me for the full month. That's actually what it says on the contract, so you should really port your number right before your billing cycle ends.

Furthermore, if you have a corporate or educational institution discount (I had 15% off through my school), they will NOT apply the discount on your final bill. I don't really have a copy of the contract for the discount, so who knows if this is legit or not.

Perhaps T-Mobile wants to make sure that people who leave T-Mobile never come back to T-Mobile by leaving a sour taste in their mouth.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by hp215 View Post
    I recently left T-Mobile for AT&T. Just so you know, T-Mobile will NOT prorate your final bill. My billing cycle ends on the 19th. I left on the 4th. But they charged me for the full month. That's actually what it says on the contract, so you should really port your number right before your billing cycle ends.

Perhaps T-Mobile wants to make sure that people who leave T-Mobile never come back to T-Mobile by leaving a sour taste in their mouth.
    This is not true. All accounts are prorated except for FlexPay. Please re-examine your bill and double check the dates
    Was my post informative or helpful? Click Thanks
    Please do not send me PMs
    Ex TMO employee that welcomes questions. Try my username on GoogleTalk or @gmail.com
    Feedback Thread
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am not sure T-Mobile does this or not but ATT and Verizon does not prorate and give you credits back, so I would not be surprised if TMO does this.

What's interesting over at Verizon and ATT is that although they don't prorate your plan, they DO prorate your minutes, which is BS.

For example: You have a plan for 500 minutes and pay $40 a month, you leave in the middle of the month to TMO. You don't get $20 back for leaving early but if you do go over 250 minutes (half of 500), they will charge you overage!

So it's always good to remember leaving on the last day of your cycle so you can get all that you paid for! Or at least leave when you are below your prorated "usage".
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I'm calling bull aswell. All bills are prorated day by day. Check the dates on the final bills.
    Used to work for T-Mo. Now I deliver to you hot, steamy, cheesy goodness that is PIZZA!!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisCell View Post
    This is not true. All accounts are prorated except for FlexPay. Please re-examine your bill and double check the dates
    I am on a legacy plan and am told that my ETF's are not prorated. I know it's not what he's talking about but it is something people need to know if they are on one of the old plans that have been grandfathered in. So if I were to leave TMO 1 day before my contract ends I will be charged a $200 ETF.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by TheBronx View Post
    I am on a legacy plan and am told that my ETF's are not prorated. I know it's not what he's talking about but it is something people need to know if they are on one of the old plans that have been grandfathered in. So if I were to leave TMO 1 day before my contract ends I will be charged a $200 ETF.
    easy solution:
    Dont leave haha, jk. i have left tmo for like a week to try out the droid, but tmo prorated everything.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Talking there is a way around it if you didnt sign up recently

Here are their terms and conditions:
    t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print =true]Unsupported Browser

They did put a clause in their Terms and Conditions where they wont prorate you on the latest two revisions(See Section C). The older versions do NOT have this.

Do note per their T&Cs "Did you activate (or renew) service prior to July 24, 2011? If yes, please click the date for the applicable version of the Terms and Conditions:" so the older versions of the T&Cs are what is applicable to you dependent on when you signed up for service.

If you are an older customer, that Clause does not apply to you and you have a fight.

When you call TMobile start by asking when you signed up and then figuring out what T&Cs apply to you. Then kindly ask the rep to show you on your T&Cs does it state that they wont prorate. Explain you see it on the newer versions, but not the ones you agreed to. They cant.

They will tell you that the terms and conditions are subject to change (they do not say that) so ask them to show you where that is. They cant.

You will likely have a heck of a fight. Took 3 phone calls and a few escalations before someone finally conceded and agreed that I was right. Have them put a note on the account and then call right back and verify they put the note.

Its possible, but its a pain.
    Thanked by:
    drtuto (02-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

It took me LOTS of reading and 4 representatives, but your post saved me $167.43 which brought my bill from $177 to under $10!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Luckily I landed in the 2008 Terms and Conditions or I'm not sure I would have had any ground to fight it. I was livid to find out they were billing me for a whole month when I only used 2 days though! Thanks Again chrisfarker!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just found this out as well, they want $166 dollars from me for 9 days of usage.

I spoke to three different people and all three stuck to their guns on it, two of them hung up on me.

I don't know if I should fight or not, it justifies to me that I made the right decision to leave.

If I don't pay it, they screw my credit up, so I can't win with that.

This clause is only in the latest TOS, the wording changed from "you may" to "you will".

I have been OUT of contract with them for over two years, meaning the last contract I signed was most likely 4 years ago when this wasn't the rule.

What should I do, because I'm tired of arguing with them and getting hung up on.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I sent them a check, I didn't have it in me to fight it...

I'm just glad to be DONE with T-Mobile once and for all!

It is SO nice to have the phone I want (T-Mobile still doesn't have it) and it works every single place I go (unlike T-Mobile's spotty service).
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default I had to sign up just to respond

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfarker View Post
    t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print =true]Unsupported Browser

They did put a clause in their Terms and Conditions where they wont prorate you on the latest two revisions(See Section C). The older versions do NOT have this.

Do note per their T&Cs "Did you activate (or renew) service prior to July 24, 2011? If yes, please click the date for the applicable version of the Terms and Conditions:" so the older versions of the T&Cs are what is applicable to you dependent on when you signed up for service.

If you are an older customer, that Clause does not apply to you and you have a fight.

When you call TMobile start by asking when you signed up and then figuring out what T&Cs apply to you. Then kindly ask the rep to show you on your T&Cs does it state that they wont prorate. Explain you see it on the newer versions, but not the ones you agreed to. They cant.

They will tell you that the terms and conditions are subject to change (they do not say that) so ask them to show you where that is. They cant.

You will likely have a heck of a fight. Took 3 phone calls and a few escalations before someone finally conceded and agreed that I was right. Have them put a note on the account and then call right back and verify they put the note.

I had been with T-mobile for numerous years, and they just wouldn't give me a better deal than I could get elsewhere, so even after giving them three chances I left. And they tried to bill me for the entire month. I did research and had to register here to let you know that it worked for me as well. They wanted to charge me $117.38, and ended up charging me $32.42. It was not too difficult, either, you just have to be firm and polite (at least that is what I did). The first guy said I didn't give them 30 day notice, so I didn't get a prorate. I asked him to show me in the terms and conditions. He pointed me to a line. I asked if this is the T&C that applied to me, and no, it was the earlier version, so we switched to that page online and I asked for him to show me again the appropriate line, as what I read didn't apply to me ( I was past my 2 year contract at the time). He put me on hold to get the correct account manager. I was on hold for a long time, then was picked up by a new representative. I asked her to read the notes, and she said there must have been a system error, and changed my account, very pleasantly, to the correct amount.
    JUST FYI I do want to say I was always happy with my T-mobile service when I had a contract with them. Well, as happy as you can be with a cell phone service provider...

ChrisFarker, you rock! Thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default It's true - at least on my bill - T-Mobile does not pro-rate

I read this thread and some posters said not true, but it is true, at least in my case. My last billing cycle was 11/8/12 to 12/7/12. I left T-Mobile on 11/29/12. I was billed for a full month. I did the math and the difference, if pro-rated, would be almost $20. Guess I'm lucky I ported out near the end of my billing cycle. Just dumb luck. If this is common practice among wireless carriers, then it stinks. I left T-Mobile because I moved 120 miles away from Chicagoland. My new home has terrible T-Mobile coverage (2G at best).
    CrackBerry Addict

I can believe them not prorating a month. However the stories about termination fees for phones out of contract are suspicious at best.

If you want abuse, trying quitting Verizon. I'll spare you the details, but the funny thing is after Verizon treated me like fecal matter, they started spamming my email and snail mail to get me to go back. Verizon is certifiably insane.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default It's true

I had been with t-mobile for 8 years.
    I ordered a new phone with new service in late September. I received the new Verizon phone on the 29th. My billing cycle with T-mobile started on the 27th. I had no control over when things started or ended or any hint of why I should care.
    T-Mobile charged me a full month for 2 days of service. I called and they said it was in my terms of service.
    I pushed a little more but they wouldn't budge on the issue and I don't have time to deal this.

I was pretty happy with them as a provider and now they've gone straight to the gutter. I will NEVER go back.
    Deplorable business practice.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thumbs up Chris Farker rules!

Originally Posted by chrisfarker

Updated info:

Just wanted to let everyone know, this really works. My dispute with tmobile was similiar, I ported my service on Dec. 23, 2012, my billing cycle ended on the 20th. tmobile was billing me $124.00 for 3 days of service. I went step by step with tmobile through the terms and conditions. It took 2 calls and almost 2 hours but I was able to dispute the charge based on my original terms and conditions from 2008. I was almost ready to send them a check when I found this forum. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post Chris. Your info helped tremendously. My final bill with tmobile is $11.58. I will happily send them a check! You have to do the research and have the terms and conditions open on your screen so you can go line by line with them. The first 2 operators insisted that even if I was correct, they had no way to credit my account and that I would have to final a formal written complaint to tmobile customer service to receive a credit on my bill. The final supervisor agreed with me and issued the credit. Something else to be aware of, the first time I called the normal greeting messages played. When I called back the second time as soon as I identified myself with my telephone number and last four of SS, a message immediately played telling me that the call could be recorded for quality and training purposes. Be polite and respectful to whomever you are talking with

Once again thanks for the info

Signed a former tmobile customer, thank god!