Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,044 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default T-Mobile and local Best Buy contradicting one another

I'm coming upon my upgrade, so I wanted to find out what kind of 4G speeds my city gets. This map says I'm in a "very strong" 4G zone. I'm roughly 25-30 miles from a HSPA-42 city, so a T-Mobile support community mod estimated that I may be in a 21 Mbps zone.

I went to my local (same city) Best Buy, and there I was told on two separate occasions by two different mobile department employees that the city does not get 4G! The second one went as far as to say that T-Mobile is probably the best 3G network in town, and give me a ballpark speed of 0.5 Mbps. Yes...half a megabit per second.

So my question is, who do I believe?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: T-Mobile and local Best Buy contradicting one another

They are both right! well mostley. HSPA-21 and HSPA-42 are both 3g standards, and not true "4g" standards such at LTE. T-mobile calls HSPA 4g because it is faster then most LTE networks, so they say "why don't we just call this stuff 4g since its much faster anyway?" Well, the 0.5 mbps part is probably not true, but dont quote me on that. T-mobile is pretty good on speeds, check the tmobile map, and then go with the tmobile people instead of best buy.

Global Posts
    6,044 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I was pretty clear the second time I went in that when I said 4G I meant HSPA+, and the Best Buy gal knew what she was talking about (both of them, actually.)

I also did a speed test with the Fancy Speed Test app, and it did clock my 3G down at 0.5mbps However, that doesn't really tell me much, as T-Mobile does admit that they have poor 3G coverage in my area. So technically both Best Buy and T-Mobile could be right...

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berryraptor View Post
    They are both right! well mostley. HSPA-21 and HSPA-42 are both 3g standards, and not true "4g" standards such at LTE. .
    By the way, LTE isn't 4G either only LTE Advanced is 4G.

Global Posts
    6,044 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by DannyAves View Post
    By the way, LTE isn't 4G either only LTE Advanced is 4G.
    This is true. The standards have been heavily bastardized by the mobile industry. However, a max of 0.5 mbps, as told to me by Best Buy, and HSPA+, as told by T-Mobile, are just too far apart...

I guess I'll start looking for someone locally with a HSPA-42 phone, and request them to do a speed test.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    This is true. The standards have been heavily bastardized by the mobile industry. However, a max of 0.5 mbps, as told to me by Best Buy, and HSPA+, as told by T-Mobile, are just too far apart...

I guess I'll start looking for someone locally with a HSPA-42 phone, and request them to do a speed test.
    Here in South Florida both my Android HSPA+42 phones rarely get less than 15mbps download and most times over 20 and sometimes over 25.