Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default t-mobile false advertising

I recently added a second line and purchased a bb 8900 from t-mobile. My secondary use for this phone was for tethering on my laptop. The t-mobile web site advertises EDGE in my area. The customer service department as well as the bb device department both confirmed that I had EDGE in my area. upon receiving the phone and doing set up I immediately became aware that edge was not working(no edge on the display and slow browsing). I called t-mobile bb support and went through the paces. After further investigation by the bb support team it was discovered that the Edge on my area tower was down and not in the budget to be fixed at this time. I was asked to give it a month and check back. It has been three months now and still being told not in the budget to be fixed! To top it off, they will not honor their rebate program and tell me if I cancel they will charge me another $200.00 dollars! wtf! I have spent hours on the phone trying to get some help or cooperation from t-mobile with no resolve! this has been very disappointing. any advice out there would be appreciated!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Contact the BBB and your attorney general against T-mobile.
    If they are providing services that aren't working then they need someone to light a fire under their **** to get moving to either credit you or fix the problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm going through a similar problem in Savannah, Ga.

For almost a year I had great EDGE coverage where I work. Since about Nov.2008, EDGE coverage is very poor and the PAM experience is miserable.

They wont cancel my service and let me go to a another carrier. So I'm stuck until next December, Unless I want to pay ETF.

The only thing you can really do to improve the browsing experience is to get used to waiting for pages to load.
    In God We Trust
    CrackBerry Addict

From what you described, that certainly fails to meet the legal elements of false advertisement, BUT you certainly do deserve a refund or cancellation without penalty, since they told you that you would have EDGE coverage and that was a deciding factor for you choosing to pay for their services.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

it is so frustrating that they would treat a willing and wanting customer this way. I suspect the situation won't change with the edge coverage with them focusing on the 3g roll out. so I am supposed to take in the rear is what they are really saying to me. and trying to sting me with the cancellation fee is really below board for anyone with any character.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's not false advertising, and it's not misrepresentation. The people at the store obviously were not informed that your tower was down for the count.
    While I also feel it's BS they did not honor the rebate program, I'm actually torn on it for you, as 1.) you needed the required plan for the rebate to be in effect through time of processing, but 2.) you obviously couldn't for these reasons.

It's frustrating, but really, in this economy, you can bet if they're telling you it's not in the budget to be fixed, IT REALLY ISN'T. I'd say either take the paces, sell the phone on craigslist, or say screw it and leave. It's up to you.
    --<3 aaammmyyy.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

it was customer service and bb support that told me the edge was good, and I get charged every month for full bb services. i have no local store.
    CrackBerry User

T mobile is a horrible carrier w/substandard customer service. I really don't see them lasting much longer anyways. They will likely be bought out by a larger carrier soon. They just can't keep up. I got away from them by proving I had horrible signal @ my house which voided my contract. Now I have Verizon and my phone works everywhere. Great CS too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I had a problem with their retail clerk lying to me (you might have seen my thread on it) and Customer Care rep took care of me.
    I was civil about the whole thing and the outcome was very satisfying.
    She gave me $100 credit towards my account without forcing me to get data plan and I dont even have to send the rebate in.
    It all depends on how you behave on the phone and obvioulsy what kind of person is on the other end of that line.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

yep, I have been civil the whole time, never raised my voice or said anything harsh. I am an easy going person , but after months of slaps in the face it becomes hard to turn the other cheek. I am waiting on a call from my attorney now. I have given t-mobile the opportunity to make things right and they refuse. It is ridiculous that they would sacrifice my near 200.00 dollar a month plan over a 100.00 rebate. I could live with the lack of edge, but the whole lack of respect from the carrier has really been bewildering .
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I hear ya. You would think that companies would do everything it takes to keep you as a customer.

Best of luck to you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jbizzl View Post
    T mobile is a horrible carrier w/substandard customer service. I really don't see them lasting much longer anyways. They will likely be bought out by a larger carrier soon. They just can't keep up. I got away from them by proving I had horrible signal @ my house which voided my contract. Now I have Verizon and my phone works everywhere. Great CS too.

I hope you didn't write that with a straight face. t-mo is a great company with excellent customer service. T-Mobile ranked highest among all wireless providers in Overall Customer Care Performance, above all its competitors and significantly ahead of the industry average in the 2009 J. D. Powers survey.

The statement about not lasting much longer is hilarious. You do know that they are a subsidiary of a very large German company, don't you? Who do you think this larger company is that's going to buy them out?

As to signal quality, you can have problems with any carrier, depending upon where you're located.

That said, on a given day with a given service rep or reps, you can have problems with any carrier. And I feel for those who do.
    Last edited by editguy; 03-27-2009 at 05:14 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I give two thumbs up to the Customer Care rep on the phone but the retail people leave a lot to be desired. Unless you come on a forum like this one they will never tell you anything and just try to hose you. Again I am just talking about one specific store I dealt with. I am sure there are retail reps who will go and beyond to keep their customers happy and coming back for more.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by smyke View Post
    I give two thumbs up to the Customer Care rep on the phone but the retail people leave a lot to be desired. Unless you come on a forum like this one they will never tell you anything and just try to hose you. Again I am just talking about one specific store I dealt with. I am sure there are retail reps who will go and beyond to keep their customers happy and coming back for more.
    I agree that the stores are a different matter. You will probably find a lot more inconsistency.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    PIN
    k in the face from service outages

FlexPay support sucks though... They are the most clueless bunch of people. And I can barely understand them

Hope I can get on a regular contract soon
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    PIN

I had a very different experience with t-mobile then this. I moved to an area where the site says they have edge, but i dont hardly get any service here. I called up t-mobile, they waved my bill and early disconnect fees, for me to switch to verizon, well verizon had worse service in this area, so in turn i ended up back with t-mobile. Maybe i am just lucky or you happened to get new people when you called in. I have always had really good luck / service with t-mobile in the last 8 yeas i have been with them.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24a9d757

Quote Originally Posted by jbizzl View Post

horrible maybe for you remember service differes from region to region im in washington DC and i get the same amount of coverage as VZ but pay WAAAYYYYY less and last time i checked this is crackberry not a verizon fanboy site but anyway if the company has not been able to provide you the right service u might actually have to switch to a different company and maybe pursue some legal action because failing to have usable service is a perfect reason for them to waive your contract..dont be scared to put your foot down for the services you pay 4