Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is T-Mobile dropping UMA

There was a post following an article regarding T-Mobile's continued support for UMA on new devices over on TmoNews. Is there any traction to this speculation?

I know that the Tmo Blackberry supports UMA and that is what is driving my toward this device rather than the AT&T version.

Cheers.
    Berrynubee
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't know if this is true or not, but it would make a bit of sense with their new plan layout. TMO is shifting direction if you ask me, almost to the point of being an upscale version of MetroPCS. They're all about unlimited plans at lower prices.

With unlimited plans comes less of a need for UMA, which users primarily used to make phone calls without using minutes. It really does stink if that's their reasoning though, because UMA helps in some other ways.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

They dropped their $10 UMA / unlimited calling option, so the primary purpose of UMA is to provide a connection where you don't have one. I have a friend downstate who has no T*Mo coverage at his place, and I am on UMA all weekend. If they were to drop it, I'd probably have to consider shopping other cell providers and see what pricing is like.
    Enjoy yourself.. Enjoy others too if given the chance...

GO CUBS GO!!!

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

I don't think tmobile should drop uma. Even if their network expands uma relieves some of the congestion. As more and more smartphones crave for data. Tmobile will have the same problem as ATT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

With 3G coverage comes less of a need for UMA. Also, I've yet to see an Android device have UMA capability. Blackberries and other handsets have.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    CrackBerry Abuser

I sure hope they're not dropping it! That being said, I'm still paying (as of the bill I paid today) $10 for unlimited uma calling on my family plan. Also, 3G does not take the place of uma - I use it primarily inside my well-built, 50 year old house. I get no signal inside, 3G, edge, gsm or otherwise. If they dropped uma, I'd need to get a land line again.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure the recently released Motorola Cliq is an Android phone with uma calling.

Last edited by xeju; 02-12-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    785 Global Posts
    PIN
    33163F2B

If they drop UMA, I'm out.
    www.twitter.com/billydasco

8700g,8300,8100,8320,8900,9700,9650,9930,Playbook

Proud to Serve USAF
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,422 Global Posts

I just received this text from tmobile

"Free T-Mobile Msg: T-Mobile charges for international dialing, including Wi-Fi calls. Please monitor your usage and visit T-Mobile.com for current rates."

Anyone else get it?

CrackBerry User

does that mean no more free uma calls from international location back to usa using tmobile uma?
    CrackBerry Addict

Yep, this is correct according to TMO rep I just hung up with. The rep told me that it is the system glitches. Guess what it took them over years to figure this glitches

My guess is that all rep have been trained well to provide this answer (system glitches) rather than saying TMO has dropped this feature going forward

My guess is that not for long unlimited UMA calling for domestic might get dropped too. This is just purely my speculation. If that happens, I will jump ship after 8 years royal customer with 5 lines with them.
    CrackBerry User

I just called 611 and was told that the uma calling is still free from abroad back to US and that there's no system changes that she was aware of.
    The charges only apply to calls made to non-US numbers. Can somebody else please confirm?
    Thanks a bunch.

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by rennfahrer View Post
    I just called 611 and was told that the uma calling is still free from abroad back to US and that there's no system changes that she was aware of.
    The charges only apply to calls made to non-US numbers. Can somebody else please confirm?
    Thanks a bunch.

Yes please. Any relaible TMO rep here to confirm this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Bs, when u connect to uma, t-mo can't detect if u oversea or not. U using wifi and not their network. So keep on using it, they won't be able to tell.

CrackBerry Newbie

"Reliable" + "TMo rep" = nonsense. Sorry, but two just don't coexist. I just spent an hour this week fixing the mistakes another rep made a couple of weeks before when swapping out my unit under warranty?

What about the time I declined insurance and they added it to my line, anyway?

Or what about the time they updated my handset, and cancelled and recreated my account without telling me? Not so big a problem as the fact that they did it in the name and SSN of someone else.

Etc.

At least they're friendly.

Edit: Oh, and if they drop that advantage of UMA, I'm probably gone for a Tour2 on Vz.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Spankypoo View Post
    "Reliable" + "TMo rep" = nonsense. Sorry, but two just don't coexist. I just spent an hour this week fixing the mistakes another rep made a couple of weeks before when swapping out my unit under warranty?

What about the time I declined insurance and they added it to my line, anyway?

Or what about the time they updated my handset, and cancelled and recreated my account without telling me? Not so big a problem as the fact that they did it in the name and SSN of someone else.

Etc.

At least they're friendly.

Edit: Oh, and if they drop that advantage of UMA, I'm probably gone for a Tour2 on Vz.
    For whatever it is worth, this only affects international WiFi call. All domestic WiFi call remains unchanged from what I was told.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

I don't quite understand why people are so quick to jump ship if they get rid of UMA. Is there another carrier that offers wifi calling that I'm unaware of?

CrackBerry Genius

I hope T-Mobile doesn't drop UMA. I mean, I'd probably end up staying with them anyway but I do like UMA for when I don't have coverage...
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by danielcj View Post
    I don't quite understand why people are so quick to jump ship if they get rid of UMA. Is there another carrier that offers wifi calling that I'm unaware of?

No, there's not. But for many people, UMA is really needed.

So for some, if T-Mobile drops UMA, people will have to move to another carrier that offers better coverage to make up for the lack of UMA (such as Verizon).
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by doxa sub750T View Post
    For whatever it is worth, this only affects international WiFi call. All domestic WiFi call remains unchanged from what I was told.
    How can they tell if it is international or domestic wifi when connected thru wifi? The answer is they can't!

CrackBerry Genius

I'm not doubting that doxa is telling the truth here....it's just, reps wouldn't ever know information like this. Ever. They do CS and help with sales, they aren't kept in the loop AT ALL about possible future changes like this. I think the reps that doxa talked to are either just reading from a script that they must follow or they just BS'd.

I was told by many reps months ago that I'd be charged if I used UMA overseas to call home. Well, that's obviously not true. I don't see why this would be any different here.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by xeju View Post
    Edit: I'm also pretty sure the recently released Motorola Cliq is an Android phone with uma calling.

Unfortunately there are no non-BB smartphones with UMA on T-Mobile except the Shadow 2009
    Was my post informative or helpful? Click Thanks
    Please do not send me PMs
    Ex TMO employee that welcomes questions. Try my username on GoogleTalk or @gmail.com
    Feedback Thread
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

I was just in malaysia in december and my bb ran exclusively on wifi for calls back to the US and for all my emails/web browsing. No charges on my bill.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisCell View Post
    Unfortunately there are no non-BB smartphones with UMA on T-Mobile except the Shadow 2009
    i beg to differ
    there's a nokia also with uma
    forgot the number
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the Heifer!

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisCell View Post
    There's also a Sony Ericsson G705, but i don't know of anyone using it w Tmo's service.
    When Cows Graze in a pasture full of Blackberries, they go MaAd!!
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by rennfahrer View Post
    i beg to differ
    there's a nokia also with uma
    forgot the number
    It's either not a smartphone or not a T-Mobile sponsored device.

The Sony Ericsson mentioned above isn't a T-Mobile sponsored device either, nor is it a smartphone, I don't believe.
    Was my post informative or helpful? Click Thanks
    Please do not send me PMs
    Ex TMO employee that welcomes questions. Try my username on GoogleTalk or @gmail.com
    Feedback Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast