Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Switch to Tmobile from Verizon?

So I'm kicking around the idea of switching to Tmobile from Verizon.

Pros
    • $20 cheaper a month bill than Verizon
    • Can get the 8900 for $49 thru amazon
    • I think I can tether it with my carputer for free unlike Verizon
    • GPS with Tmobile not locked down like Verizon

Cons
    • My contract isn't up with Verizon so it would be $105 fee
    • Never had Tmobile so I'm not sure about coverage even though the map shows good coverage in my area
    • Most friends/Family have Verizon but I could add them to myfaves with Tmobile
    • Have to sign a two year contract

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Jedi Master

Global Posts
    5,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    cushion

If cost is your main concern I say go for it. Just check the coverage maps for your area
    CrackBerry Abuser

The Tmo coverage maps are pretty accurate, so if it shows good coverage in your are I would say go for it.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask nicely please!

My area would not be as much a concern as coverage where I travel. We are on the road a lot and T-Mobile does not have coverage in many of the places we go. That is immediately a deal breaker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

T-mobile sucks. I am in NYC area, and the coverage in this area supposed to be good, but my phone calls dropped all the time. Call quality is nothing compared to Verizon. I've had Tmobile for about five years, and the service sucked, I only had them because it was cheap, $49 for 3000 regional minutes anytime. If your only concern is money, then go for it, but if service quality is of concern, I think you will be dissapointed with Tmobile. After all this time with tmobile, I've switched to Verizon, and it is much better, though twice as expensive for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

T-mobile won for me because of the UMA calling and the cheaper rates. Verizon does have better coverage and in more places but it's not worth the $25+ per month (no UMA) for me.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
    T-mobile won for me because of the UMA calling and the cheaper rates. Verizon does have better coverage and in more places but it's not worth the $25+ per month (no UMA) for me.
    Yeah thats another pro I was thinking about. I think I'm going to go play with the 8900 and make my decision.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,573 Global Posts

I made this switch in 2003 and never looked back. at the time I was paying $105 a month for less minutes than T-Mo offered for $40. in the beginning the service was spotty but nothing bad enough to make me seriously consider leaving. depending on your area this might be a great choice for you.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    PIN
    Can You Hear Me Now?

Don't forget to add the UMA calling if you do switch for $9.99 saves on the minutes using wifi!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    236D4F4

My mom did it last year with my little brother. She had 2 lines 1400 minutes unlimited family text and PDA plan for her Treo. She got the 1000 minutes 2 Curves both with data and unlimited text and said she was paying about $40-$50 less a month. She paid 200 something for the cancelations but has been extremely happy and made her cancelations back and then some in the year since. I recomend it
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I am not sure why you would even think of changing to T-Mobile if there is no coverage in many places you go. I once thought of changing to T-Mobile, from what I have been told by users that in the city it is ok, but my dad who is a truck driver said about 60% of the time he had weak or no signal due to the poor coverage.

Now I have never used T-Mobile, so I don't know much about the service just giving my opinion.

CrackBerry Genius

I went to T-Mobile from Verizon. I was going to go to college and wanted a cheaper phone. MyFaves was also good too, so I could talk to all my friends/family unlimited.

Luckily, my coverage has been fine where I am. I get data service all the way from PA to Upstate NY (and back again) and it's great. Sometimes there isn't T-Mobile service here on campus but there is also a nearby Cellular One tower which my phone latches onto, so it's not a problem.

My plan on Verizon was 450 min (40 bucks), data plan - also took away from my min (15), 5,000 texts (25)...

Now, I get 300 min and myfaves (40), truly unlimited data AND messages (35) and insurance (6)
    Last edited by Artemis68; 02-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry User

T-mobile service compared to Verizon isn't that great from what i've been told.
    CrackBerry User

In terms of getting signal that is ^
    CrackBerry User

I jumped ship from Verizon to T-Mobile due to cost. So far it's been working out great. Great service, cheaper plans, more minutes and uma. I'll admit, I haven't gone camping or mountain biking like I use to do where I would get service, but do to economy I may not be doing that for a while, lol.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by ok4a56 View Post
    I am not sure why you would even think of changing to T-Mobile if there is no coverage in many places you go. I once thought of changing to T-Mobile, from what I have been told by users that in the city it is ok, but my dad who is a truck driver said about 60% of the time he had weak or no signal due to the poor coverage.

Now I have never used T-Mobile, so I don't know much about the service just giving my opinion.

Going by the coverage map on tmobile website it looks like I will have good coverage everywhere I go, I just asked my friend who has tmobile and he says he gets pretty good service. I don't travel for work or anything.

Thanks for all the comments so far!
    CrackBerry Abuser

My question is how are you getting a 8900 for $50 on Amazon? I was calling tomorrow to finish my order for a new 8320 with a contract after Verizon as well, but I cannot afford to shell out for the 8900 right now. But if I can get one for $50, SIGN ME UP!

I just looked on the Web site and pretended to be ordering one so I could see the final prices, and the only price I am getting is 149.99. Is there a hidden $100 mail in rebate I am missing or something?
    Last edited by coreyrva; 02-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    236D4F4

My friend got there's at walmart.com for 99.99 with a 99.99 rebate

CrackBerry User

If you have good coverage then I say go for it.

I switched from Verizon, was having to many problems with their service in my area and 2 failed phones and 2 failed batteries. A cheaper bill, gsm, no roaming were some good reasons to switch. But then I don't make much phone calls, just email and text so it was not a big deal to me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by JJfromthe813 View Post
    My friend got there's at walmart.com for 99.99 with a 99.99 rebate

Whoa. In Store or online?

EDIT:The plans that they give you to choose from to make it $99 are not very convenient for me. Most are family plans.
    Last edited by coreyrva; 02-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Toxa View Post
    I am in NYC area, and the coverage in this area supposed to be good, but my phone calls dropped all the time.
    I have had TM service as Omnipoint>Tm for more than 12 years. In New York City I have never had dropped calls. For a BB sometimes this is an OS problem that can be corrected with the current OS upgrade.

As far as service dead spots in NYC .. these exist for all carriers due to the size and density of some buildings.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    236D4F4

Quote Originally Posted by coreyrva View Post
    Whoa. In Store or online?

EDIT:The plans that they give you to choose from to make it $99 are not very convenient for me. Most are family plans.
    Yeah I think he took the unlimited plan then changed it online after he got the phone
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have verizon and my daughter in Atlanta switched to T-mobile. I constantly lose her as she drops calls. Its common for her to say " I'll probably lose you when I turn down this street but I'll call you back". That NEVER happened when she was with Vz.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Well I placed the order last night so we shall see!! I think I'll be happy with it, and I won't feel like I'm getting violated by the big red anymore!

Thanks for all the comments/help!
    CrackBerry User

and if you dont like it you have a 14 day buyers remorse period.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast