CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Google Talk - Service Not Enabled on T-Mobile Prepaid?

I have the prepaid Unlimited Talk and Text plus 100MB Data plan.

I've been using an unlocked Blackberry 8320. Internet apps like Gmail, Google Sync, and Google Maps work fine, except for Google Talk.

Everytime I try to launch Google Talk, the error message "Service Not Enabled on this Handheld" appears.

Is this IM service not available for this plan? Or do am I missing a configuration?

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Google Talk is a native RIM app, which requires a BlackBerry specific BIS plan to connect to RIM's servers and transfer data. T-Mobile's prepaid sim cards don't offer BIS plans, just generic data so most official Blackberry apps won't work. Third party apps, like gmail, google sync, etc, run over generic data and wifi, which is why they work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I see. What if I am able to download the T-Mobile service books and install them offline. Would that enable me to "bypass" the need for a BIS plan but yet still allow me to use GTalk?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It won't. Generic T-Mo service books only do so much, and without the BIS plan to continue to update the books over-the-air as you use the phone, they're essentially useless. Also, keep in mind that people on CB don't respond kindly to looking for ways to bypass the system; I tried it once and was slammed, so keep in mind that it's highly frowned upon in this community. Now I can't imagine life without BIS anyway.

There isn't a way around it to use the official Google Talk app from RIM. Any app made by RIM won't work until you add a BIS plan. However, there are some third party apps that include Google Talk in their repotoire (I know I spelled that horrendously. My internal editor weeps.) These third-part IM apps will work with your generic data plan. I've been moving all weekend and am too tired to list them off, but if you check out some threads in the third party app forum, I think you can figure it out for yourself.

Best of luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I always knew that I wouldn't be able to use BBM, but I never realized I couldn't use Google Talk too. Live and learn.

Thanks for the info! I will check that third-party forum out.
    CrackBerry Newbie

can anyone send me the service book to enable this without bis
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    PIN
    215B4058

I have the same calling plan that you described and pay an additional $10.00 for BIS which allows me to access/use all native RIM apps such as BBM & Google Talk. My total monthly cost is $59.99, $49.99 for 100MB of 3g/4g and unlimited calling/texting and $10.00 for the BIS option. I've never had a problem with any feature. I do this bcz I don't like contracts especially when I initially provided my BB. I will probably go under contract to get the lower price on a 9930 though.