Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation FINALLY! Some UMA legacy people answers!!!!!

Been trying to get some answers about UMA and free minutes answered for like a YEAR and finally got some GOOD correct information.

For those who have the UMA legacy plans and UMA PHONES( not WIFI)..........

As UMA wasn't being incorporated into any Tmobile phones anymore so many of were panicking what to do if we wanted to keep our legacy plans without using up our bucket minutes once our UMA phone was dead and gone.

FINALLY after a year of incorrect answers I have the answer.

If you have a legacy plan with bucket minutes ( and the UMA add on), you CAN get a WIFI phone( not UMA) and it WILL work to keep giving you free bucket minutes.
    The CATCH is it MUST be WIFI CALLING phone only. If it is just WIFI ENABLED it will draw minutes from your bucket.

So the specs must say WIFI CALLING and not WIFI ENABLED.

Also on the downside is that all the new PHONE FIRST phones available at this time are WIFI ENABLED . That means you will have to salvage an old UMA phone from somewhere or spring for data on that line to get a wifi WIFI CALLING data first phone. This really sucks for those of us who need new phone first phones as I do for my younger kids.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

I don't know what the difference is between WiFi Calling and WiFi Enabled.

The only difference between UMA and WiFi calling is that on a phone with the UMA feature you can be on a call made on WiFi and leave the WiFi area and continue the call on the network and the billing will be UMA/WiFi. On phone without UMA if you leave the WiFi area you will drop the call.

However in order to benefit from either feature you have to have the Talk Forever Mobile feature on your account for $9.99 a month.

I'm not sure why it took you a year for get the information you have since it's be mentioned here on CB many times.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by eds817 View Post
    I don't know what the difference is between WiFi Calling and WiFi Enabled.

The only difference between UMA and WiFi calling is that on a phone with the UMA feature you can be on a call made on WiFi and leave the WiFi area and continue the call on the network and the billing will be UMA/WiFi. On phone without UMA if you leave the WiFi area you will drop the call.

However in order to benefit from either feature you have to have the Talk Forever Mobile feature on your account for $9.99 a month.

I'm not sure why it took you a year for get the information you have since it's be mentioned here on CB many times.
    I'M NOT SURE WHY...... You are rambling on about something I wasn't even talking about!
    If you never had a UMA PHONE and an original UMA legacy plan then you won't get it. As stated in my post... Not talking about WIFI plans . NOT talking about plans at all , as a matter of fact so why are you trying to tell me about plans? i was talking about people who had the original UMA PLAN and UMA phones.
    By the way you are wrong again about $9.99 . Lots of us got $0 and it was NOT the talk forever mobile!

I guess this why I started the WHOLE POST for UMA LEGACY PEOPLE.
    CrackBerry Master

There are two ways to UMA. There was a $10 a month extra where you could call anywhere in the US if you used your phone via UMA over WIFI.

The other way to UMA is to make a call over wifi without any additional fees. However, the minutes you use over UMA count against your total minutes.

I have used UMA in the second way. Either in office buildings where the T-mob signal didn't reach, or in places where there was no T-mob service.

I believe BB7 didn't have UMA. I'm on a 9780 using BB6. UMA works fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    PIN
    2891E655

you can add wifi calling which is UMA for free on the plan. tmo no longer charges for it. It does not use minutes or anything. I've tested this and confirmed it with tmo several times.
    CrackBerry Master

From the T-Mobile website. Note the phrase "uses monthly plan minutes.".
    -----------
    There is no additional monthly charge to use the Wi-Fi Calling feature on your handset. Wi-Fi Calling uses monthly plan minutes for the following:

Calls made from the US to US numbers
    Calls made from the US to international numbers (subject to international rates)
    Calls made from outside the US to US numbers (not charged roaming)
    Calls made from outside the US to international numbers (subject to international rates, but not charged roaming)
    Note: You must disable Data Roaming when traveling internationally to avoid incurring data roaming charges.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post
    There are two ways to UMA. There was a $10 a month extra where you could call anywhere in the US if you used your phone via UMA over WIFI.

The other way to UMA is to make a call over wifi without any additional fees. However, the minutes you use over UMA count against your total minutes.

I have used UMA in the second way. Either in office buildings where the T-mob signal didn't reach, or in places where there was no T-mob service.

That was how I used UMA on my 8900 as well. It was great for use indoors where signal was spotty or non-existent. I was always on UMA at my in-laws.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by gariac View Post

Not true>>>> as I stated when I started this thread>>> legacy people were able to add UMA for $0 and it did NOT deduct minutes from your bucket. i have years of bills to prove this!!!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Paintedeyes View Post
    you can add wifi calling which is UMA for free on the plan. tmo no longer charges for it. It does not use minutes or anything. I've tested this and confirmed it with tmo several times.
    yep>>>>i confirm this answer as long as you are using WIFI calling not just wifi enabled.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

Quote Originally Posted by Paintedeyes View Post
    When I first signed up with TMO years ago they had me add Talk Forever Mobile for $9.99. This feature was supposed to let me make as many phone calls via UMA or WiFi without using any of my minutes.

Are you telling me that I do not need to pay this $9.99?

I logged into my account but don't see where I can add WiFi calling. Do I need to call them to make this change?
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eds817 View Post
    When I first signed up with TMO years ago they had me add Talk Forever Mobile for $9.99. This feature was supposed to let me make as many phone calls via UMA or WiFi without using any of my minutes.

Are you telling me that I do not need to pay this $9.99?

I logged into my account but don't see where I can add WiFi calling. Do I need to call them to make this change?
    You should call retention. If anyone could do it, it would be them. If you don't see it online, I really doubt regular CS would be able to switch you. The way I have it is halfway between what you currently have and what Paintedeyes has described: the feature doesn't cost me anything, but minutes do get deducted. I tried to have it converted to all-free, but they said my plan was too old. I'm guessing your plan is even older than mine.

Not that I would recommend doing so, but have you tried removing this $9.99 feature and making a UMA call?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
    CrackBerry Addict

Call me stupid but I thought UMA was defaulted into BB phones.
    Currently using Blackberry Z30 & Blackberry Playbook 64GB & iPod Touch 4G 32GB

Global Posts
    7,852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietRioter View Post
    Call me stupid but I thought UMA was defaulted into BB phones.
    It was built in, until a few of the OS7 phones lost it (we're strictly talking UMA here, not WiFi calling.) I believe the 9900 doesn't do UMA, nor do some of the OS7 Curves (that TMO may or may not carry.)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts

Correct, the 9900 has wifi calling only, the old Bold 9700 had true UMA.
    CrackBerry User

Are you sure 9900 doesn't have UMA? It says UMA on my phone when in at home on my WiFi.

Global Posts
    7,852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy101 View Post
    Are you sure 9900 doesn't have UMA? It says UMA on my phone when in at home on my WiFi.
    Absolutely sure. Try initiating a call on UMA and walking outside your WiFi's range. The call will drop.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Absolutely sure. Try initiating a call on UMA and walking outside your WiFi's range. The call will drop.
    Yes, you are right. I never knew that UMA can handoff to cellular. I just always assumed that it couldn't. So you're saying that true UMA can handoff? How about the 9700? Does it have true UMA? Because I can swear I was never able to handoff when I left my house with that phone either.

Global Posts
    7,852 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy101 View Post
    Yes, you are right. I never knew that UMA can handoff to cellular. I just always assumed that it couldn't. So you're saying that true UMA can handoff? How about the 9700? Does it have true UMA? Because I can swear I was never able to handoff when I left my house with that phone either.
    Yep. To paraphrase the Pine-Sol commercial, "that's the power of UMA, baby." UMA (a hardware feature) allows hand-offs while WiFi calling (a software implementation) does not.

The 9700 does have UMA. It may not have worked well for you because of a bad OS build relative to UMA. Even though UMA is a hardware feature, some builds just seem to facilitate the hand-off better than other builds.