Banned

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Choosing Phone, a little help please.

So I live in an area that has terrible cell reception. It appears that I can get a reception with T-Mobile. I can get 2G in my area so I'm looking at the curve series and I see the 9220 is a 2G phone and figure that one should work for me. But, why can't I get a 9360 instead? Are phones different from most other technologies that they do not have backwards compatibility?
    Last edited by linyera; 12-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

A 9630 has both CDMA and GSM radios, so it can be unlocked and used on T-Mobile. I don't recommend it. It was obsolete almost as soon as it was introduced, doesn't have enough memory to run OS 7, and lacks WiFi. It was replaced by the 9650. It's also obsolete now, but if you are looking for an older phone, it has 2x the memory of the Tour and WiFi and would be a better choice than the 9630. I owned both. I never used a 9220 and can't comment on it. Since you live in an area with poor reception, I suggest you buy T-Mobile's current offering in your price range. Buying new means there's no problem returning it if you can't get good service. If you buy a used obsolete phone and find it unsuitable, you're stuck.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,499 Global Posts

You could get a 9630, but I wouldn't for the following reasons:

1. OS wise, the best it can do is OS5. And that's...ancient. Out of the box I think it might be OS4.x, which is even worse. Upgrading to OS5 could result in performance issues.
    2. The Tour is natively a CDMA phone, albeit one with a SIM slot. So while theoretically you can use it on a GSM network, the experience may not be as smooth as using a native GSM phone on a GSM carrier.
    3. IIRC, the Tour was not a great phone.

Now here's what you get with the 9220:

1. A native GSM phone
    2. OS7.1, which is the latest and greatest. The 9220 might ship with OS7, but going to OS7.1 (which you should if you get this) isn't as drastic a jump from going from 4.x to 5.x
    3. The 9220 is superior in some key hardware aspects: Double the RAM, better battery life, and I bet a better processor too. Surprisingly though, it seems to have a lower 2 MP camera than the 9630 though (3.15MP), and I think the screen might be smaller too (480x360 vs 320x240.)
    4. Trackpad>Trackball

Have you looked at the Curve 9360? It combines a lot of the good things in the 9630 and the 9220.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    Banned

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I think I meant to put 9360 rather then 9630... I like the keyboard layout of the 9220 & 9360 compared to the Bold series, reminds me of the pixi plus these little entry phones minus the touchscreen..

Global Posts
    5,499 Global Posts

Then in my mind, there's no question as to which one the better phone is. I would get the 9360.

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    Banned

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

My original question: "Are phones different from most other technologies that they do not have backwards compatibility? "

So the 3G 9360 will work in a 2G area?

Global Posts
    5,499 Global Posts

Yes. The 9360 is both a 2G and 3G phone. It will work on 2G networks, as well as 3G networks.