CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can I use a 9360 on prepaid?

My brother just upgraded to the bold, he gave me his old tmobile curve 9360, can I activate this on pre-paid or is it somehow locked into being used only for monthly? I currently have sprint so i don't have a sim yet to try. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,442 Global Posts

If Sprint does give out SIM cards, all you'll need to do is have the 9360 unlocked. If they don't, you're out of luck.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

Sprint is a CDMA carrier. It does not use SIM cards.

First of all, that TMobile device is a GSM and HSDPA device so it isn't compatible with a CMDA network.

Secondly, Sprint will not allow you to activate devices from other carriers on their network.

You need a Sprint branded device to use on Sprint.

Now if you are asking if you can use the device on prepaid on TMobile, the answer is yes.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

I think the OP is saying that he currently has no idea if the phone is locked or not because he doesn't have a SIM card anywhere. His intentions of staying with Sprint or not has never been clarified.

If the 9360 has been activated at one point. then any provisions that would lock it to a contract would be gone. It will work fin on a T-Mobile prepaid plan. I wouldn't recommend AT&T because the 3G is incompatible with your 9360, and AT&T is cutting 2G service. T-Mobile has a few optiond for prepaid, so just check it out and see what they have. Please be warned that you will need a blackberry addon for data, and the addon doesn't include usage.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

It is a tmobile blackberry, I have sprint which is why I don't have a tmobile sim...

So a tmobile contract phone used on a tmobile prepaid plan...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,442 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMVBlackberry View Post
    It is a tmobile blackberry, I have sprint which is why I don't have a tmobile sim...

Then there shouldn't be a problem. Just pop in the TMO SIM and you're good to go.
    BlackBerry Diva

Quote Originally Posted by JMVBlackberry View Post

You can order a t-Mobile SIM activation kit from the TMO website for $2.
    Then select a prepaid plan which is eligible for the $10 BlackBerry BIS add-on.
    ~DENISE~
    YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!

PLEASE STOP WITH THE LONG POSTS! YOU'RE BORING US.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Different

Quote Originally Posted by jaidonmitchell View Post
    Yes you can use prepaid sim in your Blackberry bold 9900 mobile easily. Blackberry bold 9900 allows all GSM prepaid you just not run a CDMA sim in this mobile but GSM prepaid is best choice because prepaid plans are now in budget.
    Remember what switchbeach said in his earlier post, CMDA phones (verizon, sprint, etc) are totally different technology from GSM phones (At&t, Tmobile, etc)

GSM phones use SIM cards and can sometimes (if the frequency is compatible) be unlocked and used on other networks with their SIM card.

CDMA phones do not use SIM cards, they are activated by the carrier at their store or over the phone with customer service. Most all of these type carriers do not allow any phone to be activated unless it came from them. In the old days you could (if you were really smart) flash a CDMA phone and use it elsewhere, but those days are pretty much over, the carriers just wont have it anymore.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Default Unlocking Blackberry for Prepaid sim card

You can unlock your Blackberry and use it with sim cards from many carriers. but, to use a Blackberry with another carrier the sim card should be a GSM sim card..

Carriers such as Sprint and Verizon are NOT GSM carriers and that's why you can't use prepaid Sprint services with unlocked Blackberry 9360 phones.
    CDMA is not used with sim cards and the line is set into the mobile device itself, not like GSM - which connects the line and phone number to the network using the sim card.

You can use a Prepaid sim card from a GSM carrier such as T-mobile.