Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will my SIM work in AT&T GoPhone?

Well, just broke my Curve and need a few weeks to save to buy another but I was just wondering would my SIM card work in those cheap GoPhones?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Yes, it will. I had the same problem with my old phone and was not due for an upgrade bought a cheap go phone and it worked fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    241298DE

yes it will.
    i have go phone with plan thingy and bought a Pearl from ebay and all works fine
    Nokia 6555>> Pearl 8100 >>CrimsonPearl 8110>>Sunset Curve>> HTC Fuze>> CrimsonPearl 8110
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,154 Global Posts

That's good to know. I had planned on buying a go phone for vacation travel, so I don't have to hand over my bb to airport security.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    That's good to know. I had planned on buying a go phone for vacation travel, so I don't have to hand over my bb to airport security.
    Why would you have to hand over your BB to airport security?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,154 Global Posts

You don't have to hand it over, other than having it scanned. I have heard horror stories though about people having their bb and laptop's seized. I would rather just take a go phone and not worry about it, plus if i'm on vacation, I don't need my bb. I have nothing to hide, but I still believe we have protection from unreasonable searchs. You have to remember, when you board a plane, or go through airport security you are giving up your personal freedom and consenting to a search. It's just the libertarian in me who doesn't like giving up any freedoms "for the sake of security".
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    241298DE

yes true but if we didnt have that security then that means we could get hijacked or blown up and i fly often and i would not want that to happen so im thankful for the tight security
    Nokia 6555>> Pearl 8100 >>CrimsonPearl 8110>>Sunset Curve>> HTC Fuze>> CrimsonPearl 8110
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    PIN
    244FC65F

Your SIM will work in a GoPhone, however you will only be able to use limited towers. GoPhones are programmed to use AT&T towers only where as Post Paid phones have access to other carrier towers that AT&T has contracted use.

I'm hardcore Apple, wanted the iPhone so bad, bought a Curve, don't want an iPhone anymore. Funny how that works huh?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    241298DE

wow never knew that!
    soon il be getting a post paid.
    cant wait so i can upgrade to the pearl 8120!

Global Posts
    10,751 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Good to know. I'll get my "teenager" a togo phone as a replacement for her former(ran over it) phone
    Old ZEN Saying: "Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind." / Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm./ My Zin: I can't help everyone....but, I can help someone./ Shh...Mrs. Peevers' biggest fan. / BB10 OS Archives
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts
    PIN
    heads pull their battery! =)

You don't have to hand it over, other than having it scanned. I have heard horror stories though about people having their bb and laptop's seized. I would rather just take a go phone and not worry about it, plus if i'm on vacation, I don't need my bb. I have nothing to hide, but I still believe we have protection from unreasonable searchs. You have to remember, when you board a plane, or go through airport security you are giving up your personal freedom and consenting to a search. It's just the libertarian in me who doesn't like giving up any freedoms "for the sake of security".
    Why on Earth would you worry they are going to "search" your BB or seize it? If you don't stuff it with ganja, you'll be fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by adamcole83 View Post
    Your SIM will work in a GoPhone, however you will only be able to use limited towers. GoPhones are programmed to use AT&T towers only where as Post Paid phones have access to other carrier towers that AT&T has contracted use.
    I dont belive gophones are programmed to deny service based on the phone itself. Service is based on the SIM in said phone...Unless this is something that has changed in the past year.

Dan

CrackBerry User

do they scan it like x-ray to make sure nothings inside or scan like check my information on the phone. this is the first i've heard of that happening. What is the world coming too.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    PIN
    244FC65F

Quote Originally Posted by hominid7 View Post
    I dont belive gophones are programmed to deny service based on the phone itself. Service is based on the SIM in said phone...Unless this is something that has changed in the past year.

AT&T/Cingular GoPhones have always been programmed for AT&T/Cingular towers due to them not wanting excessive usage on other networks. This is what I have been trained on for years now working for AT&T/Cingular.

I'm hardcore Apple, wanted the iPhone so bad, bought a Curve, don't want an iPhone anymore. Funny how that works huh?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enyahs_shayne09 View Post
    yes true but if we didnt have that security then that means we could get hijacked or blown up and i fly often and i would not want that to happen so im thankful for the tight security
    please.. dont belive everything they tell you. sure the tightened security, but tragedy can still strike.. as smart as police are criminals always seem to find a way to thwart them from time to time.

i fly quite a bit, and just because we all have to take our shoes off at a security check in, doesnt mean i'm any safer. the only consolation i have is, if the plane does go down... not much i can do about it.. except hope the bev cart comes my way so i can snag a mini bottle or two on the way down.. oh.. and maybe go ahead and light a cig up too lol.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by adamcole83 View Post
    AT&T/Cingular GoPhones have always been programmed for AT&T/Cingular towers due to them not wanting excessive usage on other networks. This is what I have been trained on for years now working for AT&T/Cingular.
    GoPhone accounts are set up to work on the pre-paid (ie Native) at&t network + a few preferred roaming partners. This is set up and programmed into the SIM of a gophone account once it is activated. It has nothing to do with the equipment. If you buy a gophone and put your post-paid sim in it, you can use it anywhere you can use your regular phone. You can even use a gophone overseas (assuming it's tri or quad band) with a post-paid at&t sim in it. I have first hand experience doing just that.

The gophones sold at local walmarts and other retalers are just regular phones. There is nothing special about them. In addition the SIM cards included with them are also just regular sim cards, they too can be used on a traditional post-paid account. I too have done this many times.

In most cases, gophones are simply left-over stock of discontinued phones. Recently the old quad-band razr's have made their way into gophone-ville, and for 119.99 its not a bad deal for a nice quad band phone to use as a back-up or spare or even your full-time phone. The Nokia 6555 3G phone is also sold as a gophone now, and runs just like regular 3G phones on at&t's 3G network as well as traditional GSM/EDGE networks.

Dan

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    241298DE

Quote Originally Posted by boomerbsg View Post
    please.. dont belive everything they tell you. sure the tightened security, but tragedy can still strike.. as smart as police are criminals always seem to find a way to thwart them from time to time.

i fly quite a bit, and just because we all have to take our shoes off at a security check in, doesnt mean i'm any safer. the only consolation i have is, if the plane does go down... not much i can do about it.. except hope the bev cart comes my way so i can snag a mini bottle or two on the way down.. oh.. and maybe go ahead and light a cig up too lol.
    i kno tragedy can happen anytime.
    but i rather it tighter and less terrorist (i thinks its spelled right
    then looser and more terrorist