What $ should I expect to pay when talking to the retention dept?
Here is the scenario...
I have two phones lines on my account:
- 1 for business which I have my BES service on
- And the second line was my g/f's personal phone, but now her employer is going to be reimbursing her, so she got her own account and BB unit.
Her line is on my account, I can cancel for just a cancellation fee of about $100, or continue paying the $20/month for another year and 1/2 (more or less) or just pay the cancellation fee and be done with it..
I am entertaining keeping that line for myself as a personal phone, so I can just get the Iphone for myself.
So the options I am going to give ATT retention will be :
- I am cancelling both lines and going to the competitor after 8+ years of service
- I want an Iphone 32 gig at no charge or for a heavily discounted amount. This would be for my second line; no change to my primary line with the BB.
I do it every once in a while for my BB's, so I know Retention does a great job at keeping me as a Happy Customer ..
What I want is:
- A new Torch for my primary line (contract not even close to renewal date on neither line)
- A new Iphone 4g for the second line...
- Other option? I cancel both lines, pay the cancellation fee and go to the competitor or jump on my girlfreind's account
So what does your retention guidelines dictate in this scenario? ESPECIALLY since the negative ratings on ATT I just heard on the news this week, lol.. On the BBs, I've typically gotten a new (or refurb, can't remember) unit for no charge or for a small amount , ie $50-$100. They charge me the full unit price, I pay it, then it's a wash, as it gets credited to my billing account.
Last edited by alexplantman; 12-08-2010 at 11:48 AM.
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM #2
- 248 Posts
So you've been in your current contract for about 6 months (what I gather since you said you'd have to continue paying for a year and a half). Usually one gets a new phone when they renew a contract, so I'm guessing you did that as well and used your upgrades. So even though you just purchased some subsidized phones, you want ATT to just give you about a grand's worth of brand new equipment? Let us know how that works out for ya.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Update so every one can enjoy the luxury of a new phone b4 upgrade time.
I had three options (my contract doesn't expire until sometime next year):
- Pay cancellation fee of $175; which I was NOT, as I have no intention of leaving att
- renew again, of course and get either :
- refurb torch at no charge
- new torch $25
I went with one of the above options.
As for the second line and the iphone upgrade; they would not give me the new iphone 4 with any discount. Finally they agreed to look at the new iphone 4 with less memory *(16gig). I await the call back from a manager in 72 hrs.. will update..
So for those that have an urge to upgrade, just do it...call and tell them you want to cancel..
Ok, what he said LOL
They called me back last week, they were willing to cut me a deal on an android based phone; so I went looking at the Samsung.. No deal on the Iphone... At that point, they agreed to cancel the line; it was cheaper for me to pay the cancellation fee since it's prorated, than pay for the iphone... I can add a new line in March and pay whatever it is to add a new line on the iphone..
BUT, as all that occured, I realized I did NOT need a second line; so it worked out for the best... I think I am just going to look at an itouch with a data plan or something...
Cliff's note: you can cut a deal on the blackberry torch or whatever the latest BB is at the moment, as I have done the last few years on the Torch, and a couple of Bolds, and a Curve... BUT, they won't cut you a deal on the iphone...
Last edited by alexplantman; 12-27-2010 at 10:47 AM.