Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Warranty: Blackberry with OS upgraded

I have a blackberry bold 9000 with the speaker low volume problem, and would like it replaced. However, I've upgraded the OS to 5.0 (which hasnt been released by AT&T). Also, I'd like to keep all my contacts/bbm friends. Can this be done? do i have to revert the phone back to 4.6 before going to the at&t service center?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

The software version of the phone will not void the warranty in my experience. All that is really checked in the warranty process is physical, electrical, or liquid damage.

Absolutely everything on the phone can be backed up. Just use the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to make a backup of your existing phone, then restore that backup to the replacement.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

do you get a new pin for bbm, and have to re-add all your contacts? what if they give me a 9700 as a replacement? can i still backup and restore?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

Actually, loading a leaked, or unofficial from your carriers OS and bringing it in for service will void your warranty if they want to be sticklers about it.

If your device is exchanged you will get a new PIN. If you back up your BBM contacts via email, when you restore them all your contacts will be updated with your new PIN.

Always a good idea to do a back up before you go into a store, just incase they want to exchange the device, you will at least have a current back up on your computer to restore.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

so after i backup, if i downgrade would they be able to tell? where can i find the att released version of the OS 4.6? also, i dropped my phone (who hasnt), it only resulted in a few minor scratches on the edges. Will that count as physical damage? my speaker problem happened before i had dropped it
    Last edited by superlyduper; 06-05-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Global Posts
    35,351 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Here's your OS

And I recommend you use this to back up your third party apps.

Make sure you contact the vendor on any paid or beta apps, they'll need your new pin to generate a new registration number.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Minor wear is fine, but if you're not sure, take the phone to a store for visual inspection.