Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By late4work
  • 2 Post By phathead50
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Want a new BB but watching the budget? If you are with ATT then this may be for you

Hey Everyone,
    I just saw this article that claims ATT is offering the Torch 9810 and the Torch 9860 for the whopping price of .01 on specific days.

AT&T is at It Again: Black Friday, Cyber Monday Allow Unbeatable Prices for Customers - Yahoo! Finance

I paid full price for my BB and love it. But this is awesome. Add to this the $100.00 dollars in free apps we are getting (thank you RIM) and it is pretty awesome.

I don't think ATT gives us cases with the devices like Sprint does but at this price I can't really knock on them for that.

Hope this helps a fellow CrackBerry user out there.

I read on this blog that RIM is beta testing BB Traffic with voice navigation. If this goes through RIM servers, it is going to rock! (I think it will since UbiNav already does but I don't know this).

Go RIM!
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Thanked by 3:
    audiodude (11-29-2011),  JBenn911 (11-17-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Any idea if this is in store only or online also?
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

But...will they still be blocking the BB playbook bridge app? If so I'm done with them at any price...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Went to upgrade my 9800 (at&t) yesterday to 9860 at best buy for free. (Yay) $85 trade in for old phone. (Yay +1) Threw in free activation (or something, can't remember what it was). (Yay +2) Filled out paperwork up until they looked up account on computer and heard the bad news: NOT AVAILABLE FOR UPGRADE. Not til 22 Jan 2012. WTFrak?! That early upgrade thingy was only for iphones. And I thought I was gonna get something cool to make up for the root canal I had to get earlier that day.
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by late4work View Post
    Went to upgrade my 9800 (at&t) yesterday to 9860 at best buy for free. (Yay) $85 trade in for old phone. (Yay +1) Threw in free activation (or something, can't remember what it was). (Yay +2) Filled out paperwork up until they looked up account on computer and heard the bad news: NOT AVAILABLE FOR UPGRADE. Not til 22 Jan 2012. WTFrak?! That early upgrade thingy was only for iphones. And I thought I was gonna get something cool to make up for the root canal I had to get earlier that day.
    Annoys me that they hand out iPhone upgrades like they're stocking stuffers, but when I want an upgrade on a phone I actually want they draw a hard line.

Not even sure how that's legal, but whatever.
    Lyls and JR A like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    PIN

It may be legal, but sure don't make it right.

I have a friend who is a regional account exec. with ATT and can get me a plan with 2,000 minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, and unlimited texting and 2GB data for only $30 a month. AND I don't have to pay the $10 extra "smartphone" data fee either.

I'm considering it as I am thinking about getting another cellphone line open, but I just can't stand some of the things ATT does. *cough* charge for Bridge *cough*
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I believe it is on-line and no they are not blocking the Bridge app anymore. I actually left ATT because the blocked the Bridge app (and I love my Playbook) but it seems they finally gave up on trying to milk us like all the other competitors and now you can use bridge fine.

This is simply the best deal out there. I got my Bold 9930 when I jumped ship and I have never owned a phone I love this much. I have had an iPhone, HTC Evo 4G, Palm Pre Plus so I've tried them all.

If you are with ATT you are scoring BIG TIME! Not only do you get the phone for free but are also getting $100.00 bucks on free apps from BlackBerry. This for the best phone out there in my view. Secure, best e-mail, reliable, bigger screen than the iPhone (any iPhone since they are stuck on 3.5" with the 9860 is 3.7".

F R E E (well, for 1 cent. Close enough)
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-18-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    you probably aren't going to get it

What's the deal on these? Are they available on-line only? I have a friend who is due an upgrade and wants to get the 9810. Looks like that is available "Monday, November 28 , 12:01 a.m. ET" which is Late on Sunday night, so that may be the time to jump.
    Why was God able to create the world in 7 days? He didn't have an installed base!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Tiassa,

The article says it is on-line.
    DALLAS , Nov. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Just in time for the holidays, AT&T* is stepping in to offer customers a wide range of savings on some of this season's hottest devices—and it's all online!

Also, be sure to take note of the fact that it is free shipping and waived activation.

Man, that is a good deal! Your friend is going to score! And then just add the $100 bucks in free apps from BlackBerry and I think your friend may have to get you lunch or something. Nah, friends just help each other because they are friends. But don't turn the lunch down if she offers.
    CrackBerry User

Default Torch 9810..Refurbished????

Adam-I checked out the fine print. From what I've read on the att page the penny deal is on a refurbished phone. Also went into a local staples here on Long Island and they're offering in store $50 off a new $79 prices Torch 9810, net cost $29 bucks. It would seem the better deal???
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Why would you enter into a two year contract to get a reconditioned phone?
    This post represents the offices of Me, Myself, and I. Representation of other individuals and entities is not implied, despite inferences.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post
    Why would you enter into a two year contract to get a reconditioned phone?
    I did last December for my current 9800 that I got for 1 cent. Got everything I was supposed to get, and I've had no problems with it. In fact, it's been well posted about for awhile on this forum that "refurbished" phones tend to do better anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Well, refurbished phones are allegedly recertified by the manufacturer, but I'd still like a full year warranty juuuust in case.
    This post represents the offices of Me, Myself, and I. Representation of other individuals and entities is not implied, despite inferences.
    CrackBerry User

turns out the phones are NOT refurbs, though i had to choose a data plan (already had one). i called customer service and the girl told me to just choose one and call when the phone comes in and speak with a manager to have them change it back to what i had prior.

total cost (estimated taxes included+upgrade fee) came out to $26.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by lowriderb View Post
    turns out the phones are NOT refurbs, though i had to choose a data plan (already had one). i called customer service and the girl told me to just choose one and call when the phone comes in and speak with a manager to have them change it back to what i had prior.

total cost (estimated taxes included+upgrade fee) came out to $26.
    Did they waive the activation for you? When I ordered my 9810 today it looked like they would be trying to hit me with that charge. (waiting to hear back on my question)

Not enough of a deal breaker for me to not take advantage of a 1 cent phone, but I can find other uses for that 18 bucks.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Unless announced upfront, activation and upgrade fees are not to be waived.
    CrackBerry User

Yeah, I realize that. My question results from the fact that the press release that started this thread stated "free shipping and waived activation is included."
    CrackBerry User

online the "upgrade fee's" were not waived, there were no activation fee and the shipping was over night and free.

ordering online i had to choose a new data plan and after calling customer service to confirm that i was wanting to keep my current plan it was changed back to the unlimited plan i had.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,528 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Strongbow, please.

Any consumer product that has been transferred from the seller to a customer is immediately considered "used" and cannot, by law, be re-sold as "new" by the retailer. If someone returns a phone simply because they didn't like it, but there was nothing wrong with the actual device itself, it still MUST be marked as "Refurbished". It cannot be sold as a new product. It can be used for warranty replacements or sold as a refurbished unit at a discount. This is the reason for "restocking fees". It helps the retailer recoup their loss from not being able to resell the product at the original price.

I ordered online, added a line to my family plan and got a 9860 for $0.01. No activation fee, new device, free shipping.
    Member# 4563
    Be a CrackBerry Commando!
    SEARCH AND ENJOY! LMGTFY
    Forum Rules and Policies - Posting Guidelines
    :: BlackBerry FAQ
    ALT + left cap = NUMLOCK : ALT + right cap = CAPSLOCK
    Follow me on Twitter. I triple-dog-dare ya!
    CrackBerry Genius

Sure hope AT&T come up with another sale like this one for Christmas. Looking to get another BB 9860 for myself.