Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Usint Wifi to make/receive calls on at&t

Ok, heres the thing. I have had t-mobile in the past. I would use the Wifi (UMA) to make/receive calls. I was informed that on at&t it wouldn't work and it is because on non-branded t-mobile phones, this feature is turned off. Wouldn't that mean if you had, lets say for example, an unlocked t-mobile branded 8900 Curve being used on the at&t network, that UMA calls should work?

I know there are many t-mobile branded 8900 users out there using it on at&t. Can you guys verify this?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask Me!

My Bold isn't unlocked and I have AT&T. I'd lov e to be able to use teh WI-FI signal as well even if it still uses ur att minutes.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

You might have Wifi, but if the theory is right, you would'nt be able to use Wifi to make/receive calls as it is not a t-mobile device. Apparently it is a feature in the t-mobile devices.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Won't work on ATT. The service is not offered.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask nicely ;)

AT&T doesnt UMA so it will not work, regardless if u use a UMA phone or not, AT&T doesnt simply offer the service to begin with. Now if AT&T offered UMA i would defnitely be awesome
    US and UK Blackberry User
    CrackBerry Abuser

UMA won't work on ATT because, as stated above, it is not offered by ATT. UMA works by basically sending data to T-mobile servers to take use voice. There's no way to get it to work with ATT unless they start to offer it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

O ok, thanks for the info blackops, ace587, and intoflatlines. It answers my q. I really appreciate it . I just figured id see if it would work and if so, to help out myself and of course our beloved CB community . Thanks again guys.
    CrackBerry Newbie

may sound stupid but i have a curve 8900 on t-mobile. how do you set your phone to use your wifi connection to make and recieve calls? i have wifi connected for emails etc