Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Used 9860 Dead...will AT&T help?

I think this is a multi pronged question, so bear with me. A week ago, I picked up a used 9860 to replace my 9000, and really liked it...everything was working perfectly as it should for the first couple of days. Yesterday morning, I woke up with the well-documented issue of a blank black screen and slow flashing red LED...after going through every workaround I could find on CB, and investing many, many hours yesterday and this morning into doing so, I've kind of given up hope that I can get it up and running again.

It is an AT&T branded phone, but was not originally purchased by me, and I do not have any sort of insurance on it. I simply pulled my SIM and SD card from my 9000 to put in it. My questions: Is this an issue that I need to take to AT&T, or to RIM CS? If it's AT&T, would they replace the phone given the circumstances, and what would the cost be? Will either company offer any sort of help in this case, given the secondhand nature of the phone, even though it is a RIM confirmed issue? If AT&T will replace the phone, would they be able to replace it with a refurb 9860, or would it be a different model (9810?) or even a different brand phone, such as an Android? Or, should I just chalk it all up to bad luck and continue to coax life out of my 9000 (which has always worked flawlessly, but the trackball is understandably having issues) until I can afford a BB10 device?

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

I'm afraid you're out of luck. The original warranty only applied to the original purchaser. Neither RIM nor AT&T has any obligation to support a second-hand device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you for your reply...this was what I was afraid of. Time to try to coax a few more months out of my 9000, it would appear.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

If AT&T can find the warranty date by your IMEI it can be replaced and it is certainly worth a try. Call the warranty department at 1-800-801-1101.

It can't hurt.

Black Z10, White Z10, Black Q10. Z30 coming soon (hopefully).
    Follow me on Twitter: @AshDeezy