Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default AT&T Microcell Outside the USA

Has anyone tried using the microcell outside the USA to call back to the USA as a local phone call? Similar to tmobile's uma service. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

I think their microcell requires GPS lock for first time use. I really don;t know if there's a way to avoid this, but it would mean it's impossible.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I would curious to find out, if after you lock the GPS for the first time while in the USA, than remove it to outside the USA what happens.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazygordon View Post
    I would curious to find out, if after you lock the GPS for the first time while in the USA, than remove it to outside the USA what happens.
    Each time you plug it in, it tries to get GPS lock, so I don't believe your idea will work.

Unless you have some sort of aux power supply that can keep the cell running for 24-48 hours and not get TSA nervous when they x-ray your bag.

Even after all that, the unit does reattempt GPS ever now and again.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

The GPS lock is required for authorized use. If AT&T isn't permitted to broadcast in the area, the Microcell won't transmit. Using it outside of the US is not likely to be a successful endeavor.