Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    17,581 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default AT&T coverage - Haiti?

Hey - I anticipate that I may be deployed to Haiti in the coming hours. Is there coverage in Haiti?
    CrackBerry User

Coverage after a earthquake like that??? Maybe if you are using ham radio.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    17,581 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

we sometimes have coverage. we did in Italy. we do during domestic disasters.
    this is my personal phone no tmy work phone that I'm asking abou tnow.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

I doubt you are going to know until you get there. I would plan on no coverage for a little while because of power issues.
    CrackBerry User

Yup, but Haiti is not Europe. You can not compare the poorest country on American continent infraestructure with North American or european ones.
    Anyway I don't know if mobile networks are working or not, you will find it there. If you are deployed there I imaging that you will be helping. That people needs you. Take care.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Haiti is listed as one of the supported countries you can travel to and use the world traveler feature, so I would imagine that normally the answer would be yes. However there are obviously extenuating circumstances now as previously mentioned.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

The whole country fell over, and you expect a cell phone to work? AT&T has no towers outside of the US, just agreements with international carriers to provide service for AT&T subscribers. If those carriers are experiencing massive infrastructure failure, you had best get a satellite phone and a gun.

Global Posts
    17,581 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quick update - service is very sporadic but I'm using a loaned local team phone. Brought 9000 and work 8830 but we are using a mobile satellite dock, don't know the brand. Very expensive to use.
    Haven't really tried personal phones.
    If anyone wants to know, local service is on and very very sporadic.

My dog is injured but OK. The smell and the screaming are horrific. Gunshots at night. This is the closest to **** I have ever seen.

Power is by generator but can't use them because gas is very hard to come by. Almost all nations here. Ran into Brits, Russians (I think) and French.
    Very happy for spare batteries.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    PIN
    217941f5

Thanks for updating us! I hope and pray that you stay safe over there!
    CrackBerry User

I'm in the Army and in Haiti myself. Cell phone reception is incredible. I've had full bars the whole entire time. That's better than what I get at home. Getting a call out is a little spotty at times with the amount of customers trying to use the towers, but most of the time I get through. It sounds like if I was in the US. The other carriers are the ones with the troubles. Most Verizon customers don't have any reception at all. Oh, and the whole entire country hasn't fallen over like everyone thinks. Yes, a lot of people have died, but it's mostly just in the capital city. It's not even the whole city at that. I'm at the airport and the homes outside the airport walls look just fine. It's hot, dirty, and I can't wait to get home, but we're doing a good job. America is doing a good job because I see all the donations that comes here first hand and most is from the US.
    CrackBerry User

P.S. AT&T free voice, text, and data in Haiti until FEB 28.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    29,627 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by szgorzelski View Post
    I'm in the Army and in Haiti myself. Cell phone reception is incredible. I've had full bars the whole entire time. That's better than what I get at home. Getting a call out is a little spotty at times with the amount of customers trying to use the towers, but most of the time I get through. It sounds like if I was in the US. The other carriers are the ones with the troubles. Most Verizon customers don't have any reception at all. Oh, and the whole entire country hasn't fallen over like everyone thinks. Yes, a lot of people have died, but it's mostly just in the capital city. It's not even the whole city at that. I'm at the airport and the homes outside the airport walls look just fine. It's hot, dirty, and I can't wait to get home, but we're doing a good job. America is doing a good job because I see all the donations that comes here first hand and most is from the US.
    Thank you for your service to our country and to the world.