Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Stupid AT&T

So I go into AT&T today to ask them about the wobbly trackpad and to get insurance set up for my phone.

When I asked about the wobble, the person said that was just normal and asked me if I was talking about it clicking in. WTF. Then he went on to tell me it was exactly like the trackball... Not sure who was working this AT&T.

Anyway, I get insurance set up. $4.99
    I knew the price. But then the rep tells me that if the phone gets lost or broken, that I have to pay a $150 fee for replacing it.

Is this normal?

Why am I paying $4.99 a month for insurance if I have to pay a $150 fee if something happens to it?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    head

yeah I pay the 4.99 a month for insurance but have to pay 125 if it breaks. I guess you have to pay the 125 because you'd have to pay 400 for a new phone if you didn't have the insurance. Sucks I know. And it doesn't even cover water damage!
    CrackBerry User

It's a deductible, every carrier has one. Not just AT&T. Just like regular insurance, you usually have to pay a deductible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

yea its like any kind of insurance, theres always a minimum deductible.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jmilly13 View Post
    yeah I pay the 4.99 a month for insurance but have to pay 125 if it breaks. I guess you have to pay the 125 because you'd have to pay 400 for a new phone if you didn't have the insurance. Sucks I know. And it doesn't even cover water damage!
    If my phone gets water damage, I'm just saying it was stolen and paying the $150.

Quote Originally Posted by anditskevin View Post
    It's a deductible, every carrier has one. Not just AT&T. Just like regular insurance, you usually have to pay a deductible
    Deductible? As in I can deduct the $150 from my bill?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Balay View Post
    If my phone gets water damage, I'm just saying it was stolen and paying the $150.

Deductible? As in I can deduct the $150 from my bill?
    No it works pretty much the same as health insurance or car insurence.. You pay the monthly but when u visit the doctor theyres somtimes a deductible you gotta pay.. How old are you? Lol

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

lol. 125-150 isn't that bad considering that if its broken, you don't need to pay the full price. Life works in mysterious way when it comes to our BB.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Young enough to not give a **** about deductibles haha
    or just too naive to know how this whole insurance thing works. and you will give a **** when it comes time for you to cough up the money for it.

and if you do get water damage to your phone, and claim it i as stolen in order to get a new one, dont expect the PIN to work anymore. you are better off just telling them its water damaged, as your insurance will cover a water damaged device. if you tell them its stolen, RIM will block the PIN.

and when you start driving a real car with real insurance you will see that although you (or your parents for that matter), pay a monthly fee for coverage, your insurance agent will charge you a deductible. this means that if the damage is less than a certain amount (usually $500), you need to pay it out of pocket. if the damage to your vehicle is $4000, you pay $500 and they will cover the $3500 difference.

basically, most carriers charge a $50 deductible. however, for your $500+ device, paying $125 up front is a good deal, and they cover the difference.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 01-15-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    and if you do get water damage to your phone, and claim it i as stolen in order to get a new one, dont expect the PIN to work anymore. you are better off just telling them its water damaged, as your insurance will cover a water damaged device. if you tell them its stolen, RIM will block the PIN.
    If they give me a new phone, why would I care if the other phone's PIN is blocked. It's water damaged...

And someone said insurance doesn't cover water damage.
    CrackBerry User

If they give me a new phone, why would I care if the other phone's PIN is blocked. It's water damaged...

Insurance covers water damage, they were probably mistaken by warrenty. Warrenty doesn't cover water damage.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

because not every water damaged phone is totally defective. some are able to be revived.

and insurance covers everything. you could throw your phone at the wall on purpose and make a claim against it just to get a new one. fraudulent in my eyes, but hey they dont care. in a way, you and everyone else are paying for it. they still make their money.

and keep in mind, depending on their terms, you are only allowed so many claims per year.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 01-15-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me

This thread makes me lol. Good way to start off the day!

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,611 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask me

Next time I need to file a insurance claim (auto, home, health), and they talk about my deductible. I'm so going to use that line "what's that. You mean I can deduct it off my bill?!". Rofl.

CrackBerry Addict

He clearly is young and doesn't understand how insurance works.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

Yes only so many claims in a given time frame. Just like car insurance after so many claims your premium (monthly cost for those too young to know) will increase, your deductible will increase (your portion of the bill) or even worse they will deny insurance all together. On a car if this happens you will be placed in a state "pool" where some insurance carrier will be forced for a handsome premium to provide your car insurance. For a mobile, insurance is just denied.

Oh and the phone will not be new usually when replaced by insurance - refurb. If they have no recertified mobiles, you are usually given two choices - a new one of the same type or one of equal value.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,923 Global Posts

Verizon only has $50 deductible!

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    Verizon only has $50 deductible!
    even on higher priced phones?
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,371 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    even on higher priced phones?
    yes it's just $50.

PIN
    ( ͡•_͡•)

An FYI, I had to make an insurance claim for water damage. It was replaced no questions asked.
    “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.” C. Ponder

101 Lecture Series
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    if you would like it, just ask

yeah, insurance is super easy to deal with....**** they have replaced 2 blackberries due to my dog thinking it was a chew toy. They just laughed and sent me a new one

Having had mobile phones for many years and never having needed insurance I am comfortable skipping the stuff. I prefer putting the fees in the bank. If ever a replacement is necessary I can use my savings to pay and the remainder will buy a fine dinner.

CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

A $50 deductible on a $500 phone? Riiiight. Asurion isn't so stupid as to allow people to file bogus theft reports and pay 10% for a replacement twice a year, considering you only pay then $59.88 a year for the service, and if you make two claims, you don't pay them anymore until you get a new phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,923 Global Posts

$50 is the deductible for ALL phones with Assurion for VZW. And you don't get a $500 phone, you get a refurb.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    PIN
    iMessenger

would the "my dog ate my Berry" excuse qualify for insurance replacement-LOL
    iPhone 4S Jailbroken
    iPad 3rd Generation Jailbroken
    Apple TV
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,518 Global Posts
    PIN
    There is no PIN.

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    $50 is the deductible for ALL phones with Assurion for VZW. And you don't get a $500 phone, you get a refurb.

Verizon Wireless Total Equipment Coverage for Advanced Devices will help you stay connected at $7.99 per month per covered device

Total Equipment Coverage bundles: Advanced Devices $7.99 ($6.00 Asurion Wireless Phone Protection + $1.99 Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty)

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection:

$6.00 per month per covered device
    $89 non–refundable deductible per approved claim Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim
    For a schedule of equipment in the Advanced Devices categories, please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881–2622

Claim limits: 2 Claims in a 12–month period (In New York, 2 claim limit is per policy year)
    Asurion may fulfill claims with new or remanufactured equipment. In general, claims are fulfilled with the same make and model you claim. If this is not possible, a like–kind make and model will be substituted. Color, feature and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed.
    Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your coverage at any time and receive a pro–rated refund of your unused premium.
    For Asurion Wireless Phone Protection Terms and Conditions, please call Asurion Customer Service or visit Welcome Verizon Wireless Customers
    But 89 bucks still isn't bad!
    Last edited by bp3dots; 01-23-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: I still fail at double quoting...
    It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.

-Sir Winston Churchill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast