Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunshyn
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question my EDGE is now edge(lower case)-what does this mean?

I turned my blackberry on tonight and my BIS isn't working. My att.blackberry.net email address isn't receiving messages and I can't send anything from that address either. I notcied that in the upper right hand corner of my blackberry the word EDGE (all capital letters) is now edge(all lower case letters) What does this mean?This just changed tonight all of the sudden. My media net works fine, but I can't use my internet explorer. ANyone know what the change in upper case to lower case means?
    CrackBerry Newbie

It means we're experiencing another AT&T wireless data outage. I'm down too in NW Ohio. This is getting crazy! Here's a good site for checking for outages: -= Dataoutages.com =-
    Also there's a thread over here actively discussing the current issues: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ge-anyone.html
    Last edited by fullwave2; 02-09-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    PIN

fullwave2's right- variations in typical coverage are usually tied to outages.

Here's a partial breakdown of what you can generally do under some of the different coverage indicators:

EDGE: Can use the phone, send and receive email, PINs, SMS texts, and MMS messages, and use the browser with a high-speed data connection.

GPRS: Can use the phone, send and receive emails, PINs, SMS texts, and MMS messages, and use the browser.

edge/gprs/GSM: Can use the phone, send and receive SMS texts and MMS messages.

SOS: Only emergency calls (dialing '112' will connect you to any existing carrier coverage to complete the call if you're outside your own carrier's coverage area).
    Thanked by:
    docblackberry (12-26-2010) 
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    24402c0e

i am soooo tired of these att outages.They happen alot too.They need to do something.I just signed up with them in dec and I am regretting it.
    I like a dirty berry
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

It's surprising to read just how many comments are made relating to problems concerning the coverage, the reliability, and quality of the network signal in the US. Though the first GSM networks started to be rolled out in Europe in 1992

Throughout Europe you are not constantly staring at your phones screen to see how many $$*# bars of signal coverage it has/questioning whether you will be able to make a call or send an SMS. The quality of the GSM coverage is excellent - you can just assume that your phone will work well everywhere.

A lowercase "edge" indicates that your phone/SIM card has only partially registered to the network - you need to manually re-register to the network
    Last edited by Berryman; 02-29-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Fail to prepare....prepare to fail
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krissyt1214 View Post
    My media net works fine, but I can't use my internet explorer. ANyone know what the change in upper case to lower case means?
    You have internet explorer on a Blackberry? Where did you find that?

The only time I've seen lower case edge on my phone is when I first got it and AT&T had forgotten to add my data plan. I called them and they fixed it right away.
    muzichead likes this.
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,206 Global Posts

I've had no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28A006EA

Well, I have the small-case 'edge' appearing on my phone. But browing through Opera mini is still fine.

Now, after I changed carriers, it shows GSM instead. I already registered for BIS!!! Sigh, something must be wrong with my carrier.
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Mine does that sometimes and all i have to do is shut it down and restart it and it normally It goes back to normal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    241298DE

mine is edge and was gsm last night
    Nokia 6555>> Pearl 8100 >>CrimsonPearl 8110>>Sunset Curve>> HTC Fuze>> CrimsonPearl 8110
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

"edge" vs "EDGE" doesn't always mean a server problem. 9/10 times all i have to do is pop the battery or turn it off for about 15 seconds & it'll be back to normal
    If all the world's a stage, hit me with the spotlight.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    You might just get lucky :)

Quote Originally Posted by isle.sam View Post
    "edge" vs "EDGE" doesn't always mean a server problem. 9/10 times all i have to do is pop the battery or turn it off for about 15 seconds & it'll be back to normal
    My BB said "edge" too for a couple of days last week...Everything worked just fine, but it was just bugging me to see it...So I did a battery pull also and "EDGE" popped right back up
    Kissing is like real estate...The most important thing is location, location, location...
    -Source Unknown
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    PIN
    224A71E7

I have the same problem recently with my new BB8310. I called AT&T - They had me on the phone awhile - pulled the battery out a few times - they sent updates to my phone. Still living with 'edge' service only.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mine stays on EDGE all the time now. At first, I was on GSM and was wondering why. One day in school, my bb froze, came back to life and was fast as ****!!! I got all internet emails, messages and updates so quickly. All you have to do is pop off the battery, pop it back in and it'll come right back.
    CrackBerry Newbie

It means your phone is aware of the network but can't connect to it
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Try a battery pull.
    The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.
    Vince Lombardi
    CrackBerry Newbie

I live in Chicago, and I've never really had this problem before. I am currently in Italy for work, and I'm getting the lower-case edge network. I know that my device and plan alow for working overseas, as it has worked fine for me in Israel and in Frankfurt. However, it seems to stick to the lower-case network most of the time in Italy. I've tried taking the battery out, but that hasn't worked yet either. Any ideas?

-Dave
    CrackBerry Newbie

15 days later and i'm still having problems shifting lower case gprs to capital GPRS, even though i have a data plan in place. Orange have advised that everything appears to be perfect from there end after chatting to so many advisors and 2nd level tech support. Have tried to delete the data bundle and re-apply it as well as sending sim updates, not to mention using a different sim. Even RIM have gotten back with no findings as to what the problem is.

Could this be a device error ? I wonder as normally error messages normally pop up if this was the case and nothing has come to light.

The issue has now gone back to RIM to further investigate the problem i am encountering. Orange have exhausted all issues and i am pleased with there dedication in resolving this problem.

Has anyone heard of this issue as Orange senior tech support have never come across this before.

Any help would be appreciated
    CrackBerry User

I've been getting "edge" since today morning and have done n number of battery pulls... registered on the "host routing table" ... called up Vodafone customer care to automatically reset the HRT but still nothing. I have a BB 9800 torch... any help?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Try your SIM card in another BlackBerry. Also, this is the AT&T forum, and the previous post was nearly a year old. And the one before that was over a year older than that!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mje5270 View Post
    fullwave2's right- variations in typical coverage are usually tied to outages.

Here's a partial breakdown of what you can generally do under some of the different coverage indicators:

EDGE: Can use the phone, send and receive email, PINs, SMS texts, and MMS messages, and use the browser with a high-speed data connection.

GPRS: Can use the phone, send and receive emails, PINs, SMS texts, and MMS messages, and use the browser.

edge/gprs/GSM: Can use the phone, send and receive SMS texts and MMS messages.

SOS: Only emergency calls (dialing '112' will connect you to any existing carrier coverage to complete the call if you're outside your own carrier's coverage area).
    mine keeps switchin frm time to time between upper n lower case edge n gprs..
    even when the network shows 3 bars..
    it jus started doing this a few days ago..
    sumtimes it changes bak 2 capital sumtimes i hav 2 turn off da network n turn it on again for it 2 work normally..

im confused if this is a problem wid my network or my software AGAIN!!??
    CrackBerry User

Default my edge is always small

"edge" stays small and i can't connect to internet or bbm! i have 9800 torch... anything i can do?
    CrackBerry User

Default Here is my fix -

I have a Unlocked Blackberry 9800 for Tmobile. For the most part it would be on EDGE (Uppercase) but every so often it would change to edge (Lowercase).
    Shutting off network connection from tmobile and turning back on would restore it to uppercase EDGE but sooner or later it would change back to lowercase edge.
    My fix was that I had Wifi on all the time. I turned it off and now I have EDGE constantly.
    Ive had many Blackberrys and Wifi is an issue that Ive seen with them all.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

It amazes me sometimes that so many people own BB's and know nothing about doing a battery pull when they are experiencing problems. I guess I just assume that everyone that owns one and is a part of the CrackBerry community, they would've read the BlackBerry 101 thread at some time....... I do a simple battery pull at least once a week if not 2 or 3 times.... It is just a common thing I have learned as a BB owner to do regularly.....

Here is a link to help out some of you: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series

As to the OP, I can't even remember as to when the last time was I actually saw "edge" on my BB.... Maybe it was with my first BB, (Curve), it always read edge in lower case and everything worked fine on it. My 9700 has always read "3G" from the minute I turned it on..... Even when I travel it says 3G.... I guess it would depend on which handset you have.....
    CrackBerry Newbie

AM also facing the same problem please help me out my pin is 7E1E8C2E