Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. Allshookup's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Leaving AT&T for T-Mobile 8900??

    I am currently with AT&T and not under a contract in my family plan and would like to upgrade my phone to the Bold but right now AT&T is not budging on their price I have called and talked to three different people. I have looked at wirefly.com and such internet sites but they won't let me keep my old unavailable family plan. They require me to choose a current rate plan.
    I was thinking of switching to T-Mobile because of their prices and the new 8900. I live in Fort Worth, TX. which is a large metropolitan area so I assume their service is going to be comparable. I guess my question is... is there anything I need to consider if I make this change? Is T-Mobile better, worse? I have been with AT&T for 10+ years but through my work I can get 10% off with T-Mobile and no activation fees.
    Any help would be appreciated. Do it don't or do it? What are the pro's and con's?
  2. rockstar323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    AT&T is coming out with the 8900. The RIM booth at CES had an 8900 with AT&T branding.
    Fear squasher: BlackBerry Curve 8900 still coming to AT&T : Boy Genius Report
    You can't fix stupid.
  3. Allshookup's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Even if they both get the 8900 ... how does t-mobile compare to at&t? It looks like I could save at least $25.00 a month w/t-mobile.
  4. fatboy97's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,701 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,914 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I've been with Sprint, Verizon, AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile... last time I left T-Mobile I went to AT&T... my family did nothing but complain about dropped calls and I had issues with their service... I have been with T-Mobile for over 2 years now and we are renewing... step-daughter and wife already got their new phones... I'm waiting for the 8900 to come out next month.

    You can look at AT&T and T-Mobile's prices... I like their service and coverage in and around the Twin Cities metro area... I travel approx one hour north on a regular basis and have not had one issue with reception... each area is different... I would travel around your area right after you get their service and try it out yourself... you usually have a couple weeks to try it out and cancel if it does not work for you.
  5. giantfan30's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,533 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
    Even if they both get the 8900 ... how does t-mobile compare to at&t? It looks like I could save at least $25.00 a month w/t-mobile.
    depends on where you live....most major cities you probably wouldnt notice a diffrence..i would even go out on a limb and say in most cities you probably couldnt tell the difference between any carriers
    the "my carrier has a better network than your carrier"line is pretty much bull$%
  6. vazquez1085's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    [QUOTE=rockstar323;1373890]AT&T is coming out with the 8900. The RIM booth at CES had an 8900 with AT&T branding.
    /]Fear squasher: BlackBerry Curve 8900 still coming to AT&T : Boy Genius Report

    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! (Leaving TMO for poor service in MY area)
  7. LJC
    LJC is offline
    LJC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #7  

    Default TMobile in DFW...

    I had been a happy customer with TMo in the DFW area for several years when early last year when my company offered me a phone and to put me on their AT&T plan. The differences I noticed: 1) More dropped calls on AT&T, 2) No 24/7 support with AT&T, and 3) AT&T is more expensive (I'm paying myself again).

    I'm switching back to TMo in Feb.
  8. Allshookup's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    I'm glad to hear the coverage is good here in the DFW area...
  9. dave_sz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    In the chicago area att is about the same as tmobile when it comes to coverage, 3g not included, so the price savings with tmobile would make sense here. However going out to the boonies in illinois or wisonsin or michigan, tmobile is not found. When we go snowboarding to resorts out here I have att signal and my tmo friends don't. These resorts are usually miles and miles from a highway and the roads to get to them are twisty and covered in snow. I guess having att wouls help with getting a call out. Those are just some thing u might wanna consider. Either way I'll probably be switching somewhere else next january...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. Duvi's Avatar

    Posts
    13,994 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy
    #10  

    Default

    Have you tried seeing if you get a discount through your company with AT&T? If you have a work email address, go here and find out. Insert your wireless number and email and it will let you know.

    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
  11. Crackberrykills's Avatar
    The CBK

    Posts
    10,457 Posts
    PIN
    "No Pin For You!"
    #11  

    Default

    ^Duvi is in the building. Congrats again on the Mod gig.

    I am an ATT man myself. It all depends on your area if it is right for you or not; I would just stay with ATT and wait for the new RIM goodness that is sure to come out soon on that carrier.
    "It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book." Nietzsche
  12. Duvi's Avatar

    Posts
    13,994 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crackberrykills View Post
    ^Duvi is in the building. Congrats again on the Mod gig.

    I am an ATT man myself. It all depends on your area if it is right for you or not; I would just stay with ATT and wait for the new RIM goodness that is sure to come out soon on that carrier.

    Ty sir... Yes, the Curve 8900 is pretty pretty looking device. I may get it to play around with when it comes out.
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
  13. mjcatc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I live close to Ft Worth. I have had Sprint, T Mobile, and now ATT. As long as you are in the Metroplex or pretty close to it the coverage is the same and you'll have no problems. When you get to the outer areas for example between Glen Rose and Cleburne Sprint is terrible. T-Mobile is so so and ATT has the best signal.

    The one thing that I will say about T-Mobile is that they have the worst customer service of the three carriers I've had. What I don't like about ATT is that you can't get the same deals on phones or plans online versus the company stores. It's very frustrating since I'm eligible for an upgrade, but have an old now non existent plan. I can continue it if I renew at the store, but I can't get the same price as online.

    If you switch to T-Mobile just hope that you don't have any issues that will require CS.
  14. vazquez1085's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjcatc View Post
    If you switch to T-Mobile just hope that you don't have any issues that will require CS.
    In all honesty, I have had nothing but the BEST customer service from T Mobile. Coming from Sprint/Nextel I feel like Tmo treats me like a king. Bonus minutes without even asking, extremely polite to the point where its almost annoying, and just common courtesy which most customer service lack.
  15. LJC
    LJC is offline
    LJC's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Actually, I feel like I got spoiled by TMobile customer service. From my experience, they set the bar high, and AT&T didn't quite match it. The first time I called AT&T late on a weekend and they were closed, I was irked.

    Another point... on TMo coverage in some remote areas... I was getting coverage in far West Texas -- WAY out in the boonies -- and was later told I was getting it because TMo actually rides on AT&T's network out there.
  16. mjcatc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    The TMo CSR were marginally friendly but they had no interest in helping me. The supervisors weren't even marginally friendly. This BTW was not a one time incident. I fought with them for several months and several phone calls and e-mails. Oh and this was about $30 overage charge that shouldn't have been on my bill. They admitted that it shouldn't have been there, but they said that since one billing cycle had passed that they couldn't take it off. I found that then (and still do) hard to believe.
  17. Garz's Avatar
    Retired Mod

    Posts
    8,845 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar323 View Post
    AT&T is coming out with the 8900. The RIM booth at CES had an 8900 with AT&T branding.
    Fear squasher: BlackBerry Curve 8900 still coming to AT&T : Boy Genius Report
    I was at CES this past week and looked at every 8900 on display there. There was not a At&t 8900 on display there at the RIM booth. The only thing that RIM would tell me is that the 8900 is exclusively coming to T-Mo in Feb. Now how long is the exclusive? 30, 60, 90 days??? We really dont know that.
  18. baker.121's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    PIN
    24a1e3db
    #18  

    Default

    Go to an authorized retailer outside of town. Their prices are more flexible generally cause of less sales than customer service and corp stores. The more features you add on the better up front deal they CAN give you! if it is a feature you dont want add it and take it off after about a month.
  19. W33dLuva's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
    I am currently with AT&T and not under a contract in my family plan and would like to upgrade my phone to the Bold but right now AT&T is not budging on their price I have called and talked to three different people. I have looked at wirefly.com and such internet sites but they won't let me keep my old unavailable family plan. They require me to choose a current rate plan.
    I was thinking of switching to T-Mobile because of their prices and the new 8900. I live in Fort Worth, TX. which is a large metropolitan area so I assume their service is going to be comparable. I guess my question is... is there anything I need to consider if I make this change? Is T-Mobile better, worse? I have been with AT&T for 10+ years but through my work I can get 10% off with T-Mobile and no activation fees.
    Any help would be appreciated. Do it don't or do it? What are the pro's and con's?
    I agree with fatboy on this one; I've used every major cellular network and I always come back to T-Mo. I've had them since 2002. Never had a surprise bill, never had problems with my phones and if I do have to call customer service, a human picks up within 60 seconds and they are polite and pleasant. Unlike the Death Star(AT&T), I feel T-mobile actually listens to their customers. For example, we used to have to pay an upgrade fee but T-Mobile eliminated it because a lot of customers weren't satisfied. Not to mention, their 3G network is live and BLAZING in your area. Unfortunately, we don't have 3G yet in Maine but I yet to drop a call in 6 years and I live in the sticks! I recommend T-Mobile to everyone. No other network comes close. The bigger the network, the more chance for serious problems(Verizon)

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  20. W33dLuva's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjcatc View Post
    I live close to Ft Worth. I have had Sprint, T Mobile, and now ATT. As long as you are in the Metroplex or pretty close to it the coverage is the same and you'll have no problems. When you get to the outer areas for example between Glen Rose and Cleburne Sprint is terrible. T-Mobile is so so and ATT has the best signal.

    The one thing that I will say about T-Mobile is that they have the worst customer service of the three carriers I've had. What I don't like about ATT is that you can't get the same deals on phones or plans online versus the company stores. It's very frustrating since I'm eligible for an upgrade, but have an old now non existent plan. I can continue it if I renew at the store, but I can't get the same price as online.

    If you switch to T-Mobile just hope that you don't have any issues that will require CS.
    That's funny you think tmo has bad customer service..... JD Power&Associates say Tmo has the best customer service 8 years in a row(except last year, Verizon paid off JD Power for the award) How many years in a row did Sprint, ATT or Verizon win? Just wondering...... Perhaps you were an a**hole to the reps you spoke to??? Noone will help a dink.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  21. W33dLuva's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baker.121 View Post
    Go to an authorized retailer outside of town. Their prices are more flexible generally cause of less sales than customer service and corp stores. The more features you add on the better up front deal they CAN give you! if it is a feature you dont want add it and take it off after about a month.
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Don't ever do business with anyone besides the corporate stores or online. 3rd party dealers cause nothing but problems- they'll do anything for commission. See, corporate store salespeople get a very generous hourly wage PLUS commission. 3rd party dealers take a draw every week but their entire income relies on commission. Not only that but my uncle tried owning a 3rd party dealer and Cellcompanies don't give them discounts on equipment they buy. So in order to at least break even, they have to charge full retail and in many cases more. If anything, go to tmobile.com or the website of whatever company your buying from. Usually best deals online plus free 2 day shipping w/new accts

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  22. vazquez1085's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    33 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W33dLuva View Post
    That's funny you think tmo has bad customer service..... JD Power&Associates say Tmo has the best customer service 8 years in a row(except last year, Verizon paid off JD Power for the award) How many years in a row did Sprint, ATT or Verizon win? Just wondering...... Perhaps you were an a**hole to the reps you spoke to??? Noone will help a dink.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Lmao I think I would have to agree
  23. I_love_my_bold's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    225 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    it was years ago when I visited DFW, so I don't know if coverage has changed there since (04?), but I was hovering around wichita falls and DFW and my service there was horrible. It wasn't so much as dropped calls as I couldn't call out at all. Being as I was having a terrible trip with an ex-friend...I felt pretty isolated..lol.

    As for the CSRs, I can only speak for ATT, and it's pretty much hit or miss. It really depends on who you're talking to. I've had some people give me 150bucks back on my bill for unusual usage and I've had others who completely change my services without my authorization. I've gotten activation fees waived...transfer of services fees waived, and I've had people blatantly call me a liar...which is pretty amusing since Ive had no reason as of yet to lie to them. But I guess with all those out there that do lie sometimes to get what they want, I try not to be offended...even though its bad business.

    All in all, I think because I've been an att customer for almost 10 years now (and my mom much longer), they treat us pretty well. We also never pay bills late. It could all be anecdotal, but I like to think they pay attention to their loyal customers.

    Though, bottom line, I'd be hesitant to use ATT in the DFW area for coverage reasons.
  24. luckyu522001's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,340 Posts
    PIN
    E FRESH!
    #24  

    Default Just Switched From T-Mobile To AT&T

    I like AT&T a lot better! I'd been with T-Mobile for a while and they were pretty good to me but I'm saving money with AT&T. So far, I have better service on Whidbey Island. Though, you're on the other side of the country...so I can't say.
    I'm almost as smart as my phone!
  25. LilUnique's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    589 Posts
    PIN
    24A43A14
    #25  

    Default

    Well I live in San Antonio, and we have great coverage. The deal breaker for me is that my family often travels into the country, rural areas like Cameron and Giddings. My sister and mom both have T-Mobile, and neither of them get coverage in the area. They have to wait until we're outside those towns in order to get a signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions