Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Grandfathered Data Plan Question

i just used my upgrade to order a refurbished 9700 for 1 cent and i currently have a 9000 with a data plan so that isnt a problem. im also on a family plan and another line has a pearl that does not have a data plan on it. if i were to switch the sim card in that into my 9000 after i activate the 9700, would AT&T eventually add a data plan? the pearl has been without a data plan since february of 09 so it hasnt had a data plan added onto it yet.
    CrackBerry Genius

In theory: yes. New phone/sim combination that didn't exist prior to September 2009.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

is it true that if i dont buy an upgrade directly from at&t that the line without the data plan will retain its "grandfathered status" when i switch the sim card into my bold 9000? i read on the at&t forums that some people have been able to avoid the data plan being automatically added by not buying a phone directly from at&t. i did buy the phone from them new but i wont be activating a new sim card since ill just be switching in the old one from my pearl. i know that they changed their data plan policy after november 1st of last year but the language is a little confusing.

Beginning November 1, 2009, customers who activate, upgrade, or switch their device to a Smartphone will automatically have the appropriate data plan added to their account if one is not already present. Smartphone customers that activate prior to November 1st, will not have a data plan added to their account unless they decide to upgrade to a new Smartphone. Then, the data plan requirement will apply and the customer cannot revert back.
    CrackBerry Genius

Odds go up if the phone is not carried at all by AT&T.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

It's a new device on that line of service, thus breaking the grandfather status. AT&T would reserve the right to add it.
    I've sipped many different Kool-Aid's...
    CrackBerry User

I can help here. I bought rogers bold and the day after I put in my sim i got the sms saying that a data plan had been added to my bill oh well. I had a storm before that and they never knew they still had my lg shine listed under the account up until i got the bold.