Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Going from OS5 to a used 9810

My apologies if I'm posting to the wrong spot/this has been covered a million times before, but after quite a while searching the forums and reading through the help section, I couldn't find a straightforward answer to my questions.

I'm looking to purchase a 9810 off contract, probably through eBay, the marketplace here, etc... If I swap the SIM from my 9000 to the 9810 without contacting AT&T (original 3G SIM that came with the 9000):

1. Will I be getting H+ speeds through my original unlimited data plan?

2. Will AT&T notice at some point and switch my plan to one of the tiered plans because of the 3G-fauxG difference?

If I have to contact customer service to have them add whatever is necessary to keep my grandfathered unlimited data, it's not the end of the world. I just figured I would save myself the hassle since someone here has undoubtedly got the answer, and I would then be saving myself the torture...
    "You ever make fun of someone so much, you think you should thank them for all the good times you've had?"
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20176ee8

go to the AT&T store when you contact them. make sure that you dont leave until you are sure you got your unlim data plan grandfathered in. cust service via phone is a joke, and its contracted out overseas. I got mine done at Best Buy, and they were great about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 Alpha Prime Hybrid using CrackBerry via Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Revord View Post
    go to the AT&T store when you contact them. make sure that you dont leave until you are sure you got your unlim data plan grandfathered in. cust service via phone is a joke, and its contracted out overseas. I got mine done at Best Buy, and they were great about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 Alpha Prime Hybrid using CrackBerry via Tapatalk

Thank you. I've read many of the stories here regarding people having to struggle to keep their unlimited data plan or have it reinstated. That's the main reason for my questions. I'd rather not have to go that route if it isn't necessary, so I'm looking for feedback from those that have bought a used OS7 device (on 4G) and inserted a SIM from a 3G BlackBerry to find out if it is.
    "You ever make fun of someone so much, you think you should thank them for all the good times you've had?"
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Ugh, never go to a store.

The 9810 needs a newer version (HSPA+) of your existing data plan. That's a simple change, and it is backwards-compatible with all previous BlackBerry phones. Even if you have unlimited data, there are newer versions of unlimited data made specifically to allow you to keep it, without breaking network compatibility.

Though anymore, there's little point in having unlimited data, since you get throttled when you breach 3GB of usage.
    This post represents the offices of Me, Myself, and I. Representation of other individuals and entities is not implied, despite inferences.
    Thanked by:
    PapiPabs (09-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post

The 9810 needs a newer version (HSPA+) of your existing data plan. That's a simple change, and it is backwards-compatible with all previous BlackBerry phones. Even if you have unlimited data, there are newer versions of unlimited data made specifically to allow you to keep it, without breaking network compatibility.

Though anymore, there's little point in having unlimited data, since you get throttled when you breach 3GB of usage.
    Thanks. So, if I'm coming to the correct conclusion, I could use my old SIM without contacting AT&T, but I wouldn't be getting H+ speeds because of the data plan currently associated with my account. Sounds like I'd be better off contacting CS to make the change. Is there a specific code for the new unlimited data plan that I should have on hand before they try to tell me they can't do it? Also, is it necessary to get a new 4G SIM, or would that just be future-proofing at this point?

Good point. Though (not that I expect to go over 3GB anyway), I'd rather have the speeds throttled than pay overages.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD84B0

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post

Agreed. People loose unlimited data when they DON'T talk to customer service and make sure things are changed over right. I see this all the time with people switching from IPhone to Android. AT&T audits that you are on the right plan regularly and if you aren't they automatically "correct" it and put you on a tiered plan for your phone. It's not an issue to get customer service to switch you to the right unlimited plan for your new phone. It IS a PITA to get them to fix it once you are off it though.

And I agree stay away from the corporate stores if you can help it. I'm an indirect and I hear all the time how the people in the stores tell customers that they can't do something when in fact they can. I've also seven this first hand.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD84B0

Quote Originally Posted by PapiPabs View Post
    Thanks. So, if I'm coming to the correct conclusion, I could use my old SIM without contacting AT&T, but I wouldn't be getting H+ speeds because of the data plan currently associated with my account. Sounds like I'd be better off contacting CS to make the change. Is there a specific code for the new unlimited data plan that I should have on hand before they try to tell me they can't do it? Also, is it necessary to get a new 4G SIM, or would that just be future-proofing at this point?

Good point. Though (not that I expect to go over 3GB anyway), I'd rather have the speeds throttled than pay overages.
    It's a simple phone call to customer service and unless you have a really old sim card you can continue to use the same one. If you're curious look at the sim card numbers and see if there is a 25 near the middle of the numbers .

And unless you are tethering or streaming slacker or something all day long you are never going to have a data overage on a bb as long as you aren't on one of the 200/300 mb plans and even on them it's unlikely.
    Thanked by:
    PapiPabs (09-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocka View Post
    It's a simple phone call to customer service and unless you have a really old sim card you can continue to use the same one. If you're curious look at the sim card numbers and see if there is a 25 near the middle of the numbers .

And unless you are tethering or streaming slacker or something all day long you are never going to have a data overage on a bb as long as you aren't on one of the 200/300 mb plans and even on them it's unlikely.
    It's the original SIM that came with my Bold 9000, so I'm guessing it will be fine. I'll probably get a 4G SIM before I make the call to be thorough.

Thanks for the input. I'll heed the warning and call CS. I don't mind surprises, but not the kind AT&T would dole out...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD84B0

Quote Originally Posted by PapiPabs View Post
    It's the original SIM that came with my Bold 9000, so I'm guessing it will be fine. I'll probably get a 4G SIM before I make the call to be thorough.

Thanks for the input. I'll heed the warning and call CS. I don't mind surprises, but not the kind AT&T would dole out...
    That's actually a good idea, out of curiosity I dug out the box that my Bold 9000 came in and took a look at the card that the SIM card is punched out of. It was listed as 3G and did NOT have the 25 in the number which as I understand it is required for HSPA+ so yeah I would get your card updated. There is no charge for the service in the corporate stores.
    USE: Droid 4, RAZR, Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, BB Bold 9930, HTC Trophy, AT&T SGSII, HTC One X, Moto Atrix2, HTC Vivid **
    RETIRED: Moto Razor V3M, RazorMax, LG Voyager, enV Touch, BB 8830(Red), 8330, 8900, 9000, 9530 & 9550, 9630 & 9650, Motorola Droid 1&2 (global) & 3, Droid Incredible, LG Thrill, Samsung Fascinate, Droid Pro, Motorola Devour, LG Ally, Optimous V, iPhone 3GS.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocka View Post
    That's actually a good idea, out of curiosity I dug out the box that my Bold 9000 came in and took a look at the card that the SIM card is punched out of. It was listed as 3G and did NOT have the 25 in the number which as I understand it is required for HSPA+ so yeah I would get your card updated. There is no charge for the service in the corporate stores.
    Good to know. When I went to the corporate store in my area, I was told that the 3G SIM would work fine with regard to HSPA+ data. I told them I'd probably be coming in to get a new SIM anyway. Might as well have the one that is supposed to be in the phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Glad I found this thread as I am trying to get a used 9900 to replace my 9800 because the screen is partially broken. When I slide the slider open to get to the keyboard the screen goes dark, when I shut it it comes back on so I have to use the virtual keyboard.

I actually put my SIM in an unlocked TMobile 9900 and it worked but only EDGE came on, so I think my sim or account is not setup for their hspda+, so need a new sim or whatever they do to get my account the faster service. Will an unlocked tmobile 9900 give me those hspda+ speeds on my ATT service? I only ask because I know that an att iphone will not work on tmobiles fast network.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1 View Post
    Glad I found this thread as I am trying to get a used 9900 to replace my 9800 because the screen is partially broken. When I slide the slider open to get to the keyboard the screen goes dark, when I shut it it comes back on so I have to use the virtual keyboard.

I actually put my SIM in an unlocked TMobile 9900 and it worked but only EDGE came on, so I think my sim or account is not setup for their hspda+, so need a new sim or whatever they do to get my account the faster service. Will an unlocked tmobile 9900 give me those hspda+ speeds on my ATT service? I only ask because I know that an att iphone will not work on tmobiles fast network.

Thanks
    I think T-Mobile uses different frequencies for 3G/HSPA+ than AT&T, so that is why you're only getting EDGE speeds with your AT&T SIM. If you want to stay with AT&T, you would need to get a phone that works on the same frequencies as AT&T for 3G/HSPA+ (e.g. - Rogers, used AT&T, etc...).
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    In my pants.

I been using the same plan/sim card since my Bold 9000... You don't need to call to have your contract updated or a new sim.
    Phone: Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 : 10.3.1.1151 | Passport : Defective waiting for replacement
    Tablet: Playbook 64G WiFi QNX
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Not sure if you're replying to the thread in general or to Raistlin1's issue, but in their case the SIM (AT&T) is from a different carrier than the phone (T-Mobile), and the 3G/HSPA+ bands that the phone can utilize are not compatible with the plan associated with the SIM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

You dont have to worry about unlimited plan changeing. Plus you can go into the store. Just make sure they understand you do not want them to make a mistake and screw up your grandfather status. You will switched to the Blackberry ulimited child plan which is what we want. No worries. Plus I got a new sim card and thats recommended.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Thanks. The original topic of this thread was covered/answered quite a while ago. It only came back to life because of Raistlin1's question a few posts up, which I believe has been answered as well.