Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2145B4D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Getting new Blackberries! Need advice...

*Even though my info says I currently have a Blackberry Bold, I
    don't... BUT I WILL! On Oct 29th, I will be able to upgrade our
    phones and after having done a ton of reading online I chose to
    go with Blackberry.

This is where I need the help of all the wonderful people here at
    the Crackberry Forums. I am with AT&T and have been for over 8
    years. So on Oct 29th, how/what is the best way possible to get a
    good price on a Blackbery Bold 9000 (for me) and a Blackberry
    Curve 8900 (for my wife)?

I am quite aware that cell phones are like used cars and can be
    talked down in price. I have read where people talked sales reps
    down on prices, even getting addon services for free, and am
    wondering how to do it, what to say, etc. Some of you out there
    has to have good solid tips for being able to talk them down
    some on the price.

While the price isn't going to stop me from getting the upgrades,
    I want to be able to walk out of the store and feel good that after 8 years of loyal service, I finally was able to get a good deal and finally get the phone I want instead of settling like I did when we got Blackjack 2's. Please help me out!

A little background... We both currently have a data plan on each
    line with the FamilyTalk Nation 550 plan. No use for SMS plans
    as we use email gateways and, more recently, Google Voice to
    text other people. In fact, we have SMS completely disable as to
    not accrue any charges.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,697 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FC76A6

I don't have any advice, other than ask A LOT of questions, but I'd recommend looking into the 9700/Bold 2

- all credit should go to CB/Twitter/YouTube user Salomondrin
    Last edited by RickyRoss10; 09-22-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Check these out: QuickLaunch, MeterBerry, BeNexus, BerryJoose, BerryWeather, Poynt, BerryBuzz...and CB Launcher, of course!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Check out my blog
    People with iPhones are TRENDY...People with BlackBerrys are IMPORTANT
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    PIN
    20F1B23C

The Storm2 & the Bold 9700 should be out around Oct Nov id wait. I'm waiting for the 9700 that track pad is calling me
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2145B4D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Being married and having kids, I won't have a tom of money to drop on the 9700. The Bold has come down quite a bit in price and will be perfect for what I need.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Waiting for Bold 2

I'd suggest you talk to a CSR at AT&T directly instead of going to a phone store.

I am open to correction if I'm wrong but I don't think the sales rep. in the store can alter or add plans the way the corporate CSR's can.

The best bet is to see if you can talk to someone in the customer retention division. Goood Luck.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default move

my first advice is DONOT be with ATT, instead go to another carrier.. go to Verizon or sprint, why u want to be with the same carrier for ever? whats ur benifit of being with the same carrier? nothing! .. thats not gonna give u any long term loyal customer discount, not gonna make ur credit history stronger, right?
    rather if u move to another carrier (off course if their signal is also as good as ATT in ur area), you get a much better phone deal. So, you go to letstalk.com and try to get a new line of service thru them, their prices are usually the best and you will get much much lesser price on the phone if you sign up as a new customer with a carrier, not renewal..even it might be FREE of cost for some BB.. so try that. and you can off course port ur present number to the new carrier, so dont have to worry about that part.

I would prefer to move to Sprint if the signal is good in ur area, bcoz: 1.their data and calling plans are much cheaper than ATT or verizon 2. their data plan includes mobile TV, GPS etc (which r not in ATT data) and 3. they have the palm pre, so if you want not to take the BB you have another option to try..

But, if you are dead on getting the Bold only, not other BB, then Verizon has the Tour which is almost similar to Bold, except it doesnt have the wifi (but you dont need the wifi much now as you will have 3G data. on the positive side Tour has 256 MB RAM which is much higher than Bold's 128 MB RAM and believe me thats more important, that will make ur device much capable of multitusking and get more apps. bold has a serious memory leak issue and every day by the end of the day ur RAM will go down to 10-15MB and ur device will start crawling, so its better to have a bigger RAM size).

so think about these option. i dont like the idea of sticking to the same car insurance and same phone carrier for long, coz it gives u nothing for being loyal, rather if you keep moving you get a better deal every time as a new sign up.
    Last edited by admirer; 09-27-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Ask! maybe i'll tell..

The Bold is the best BB still available IMO and it is RIM's flagship device. I've had mine since November and have never had a problem with it, I still love it! You can get the Onyx but you cannot go wrong with a Bold, great device...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts

I would just wait for the onyx at this point.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by admirer View Post
    my first advice is DONOT be with ATT, instead go to another carrier.. go to Verizon or sprint, why u want to be with the same carrier for ever? whats ur benifit of being with the same carrier? nothing! .. thats not gonna give u any long term loyal customer discount, not gonna make ur credit history stronger, right?rather if u move to another carrier (off course if their signal is also as good as ATT in ur area), you get a much better phone deal. So, you go to letstalk.com and try to get a new line of service thru them, their prices are usually the best and you will get much much lesser price on the phone if you sign up as a new customer with a carrier, not renewal..even it might be FREE of cost for some BB.. so try that. and you can off course port ur present number to the new carrier, so dont have to worry about that part.

I would prefer to move to Sprint if the signal is good in ur area, bcoz: 1.their data and calling plans are much cheaper than ATT or verizon 2. their data plan includes mobile TV, GPS etc (which r not in ATT data) and 3. they have the palm pre, so if you want not to take the BB you have another option to try..

But, if you are dead on getting the Bold only, not other BB, then Verizon has the Tour which is almost similar to Bold, except it doesnt have the wifi (but you dont need the wifi much now as you will have 3G data. on the positive side Tour has 256 MB RAM which is much higher than Bold's 128 MB RAM and believe me thats more important, that will make ur device much capable of multitusking and get more apps. bold has a serious memory leak issue and every day by the end of the day ur RAM will go down to 10-15MB and ur device will start crawling, so its better to have a bigger RAM size).

so think about these option. i dont like the idea of sticking to the same car insurance and same phone carrier for long, coz it gives u nothing for being loyal, rather if you keep moving you get a better deal every time as a new sign up.
    I have been with AT&T for some time now when it was Cingular to be exact. I do not have a problem with ANY of their serivices. I was military and did a lot of traveling never had a problem. Anytime I have bought, upgraded or added a device/line my history with them was looked at and I ALWAYS get a great deal. Of the two times that I really did have a problem it was handled professionally and I was very happy about the end result.The last BB I bought I got FREE (BOLD, which has had none of the issues stated above, perhaps it's user error!) when it was first released becasue of my time with them. I feel if the carrier works for you and you have had no real issues with it then why take the risk of signing on with one that does not work? You are going to run into people that have a problem with every carrier out there and others that do not. What it really boils down to is YOU! We are not going to be paying your bill so you need to make sure that YOU are happy with the service and device. I do agree with some of the other posts that you shouldn't go into a store and that you should ask lots of questions. Make it known that you have the option to change carriers that alone will make a huge difference. Good luck......

THAT'S ONE
    ~FINEAZZBLCKWOMN~