Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Family Plan upgrade

OK I am on a family plan and NOT the primary account holder. I have the 8520 which I just got in April of this year. Obviously I am not eledgable for an upgrade, however another family member IS. Would it be possable to use that members upgrade (I have their permission) and upgrade mine to the 9800? I am authorised on the account and know the primarys ssn and all info. Would I just change out SIM cards? Would AT&T need to change the IME#?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    PIN
    it's in the haystack

I am not that familiar with AT&T, but VZW would allow it if the primary account holder was present or on the phone.
    My wife says I have an addiction to buying smartphones. I'm okay with that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ermmm ... What's yours?

AT&T allows it as long as your name is listed as an authorized user and have the authority to make changes to the account. My mom steals my upgrade all the time this way.
    "If it was easy, Everyone would do it."
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

AT&T allows anybody to make changes to an account if they can verify with the correct account owner's name and SSN, or passcode if one has been added to the account.

VZW requires authorized user status. AT&T only requires that in store locations.

You can upgrade online or over the phone if you wish.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

OK thank you all but what do I do after I GET the phone? Do I just switch out SIMS and done? Do I need to let AT&T know which phone is with which number?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ermmm ... What's yours?

Since you'll be taking some one elses upgrade then it might help to mention it to AT&T when u call to activate. Unless of course u already have a ??? data plan and all .... I don't think itd matter much if u just switched out the sim

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Call to have the IMEIs swapped in the system after you activate the line, THEN put the SIM cards in the phones you want them to be in. Your phone number is attached to your SIM. Actually, it's the other way around, but whatever.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

ok folks thanks for the great responses! I WILL be a Torch owner next Thursday!