CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Excessive off network usage

I posted this question in the AT&T forum, but perhaps will get more attention here.

I got a letter from at&t in early Jan. saying my contract was being cancelled due to excessive off network usage.

When I called to get some explanation I was given three options

1)port my number to a new carrier
    2)get a new number with a new a carrier
    3)stay with at&t but roaming would be disabled on my phone - that is I would only have service when in range of an at&t owned tower.

I asked, if I stayed with at&t with roaming disabled how long this "ban" on roaming would last, and I was told it would be permanent. So I moved to T-mo and my question is, how soon can I go back to at&t? Ever?

I have a Bold that I bought when I was with at&t and am missing the 3g with t-mobile.

Any thoughts?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    3230c7b2

you may NEVER get to go back to AT&T due to the lack of coverage. you were costing them too much in roaming. You would have to get a 3G service extender which is available to Verizon and Sprint customers and AT&T is working on theirs
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

My question then is, how is this noted? Is it by phone number? I had two accounts and two phone numbers with at&t and the issue was only with the number I was using extensively in an area not covered by at&t (by the way, how is the average customer supposed to know they are not in network?)

i moved for a 7 month job. I didn't go about buying a new phone or anything, just figured if at&t didn't work when I arrived, I'd find a new provider.

anyhoo, they told me the problem was only with one of my numbers, but I moved them both anyway. Is this tracked by phone number then? Rather than SS# or something more specific?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    3230c7b2

tracked by phone number. and the customer would know by what the phone display. for the most part, if your in an AT&T area, the phone will say AT&T.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

AT&T phones, in the states at least, are programmed to always say AT&T even if you are on another network ... this is what I was told ... to prevent customers from calling customer service every time they see a different network displayed on their phone. So, there really is no way to tell...

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy

It wouldn't matter. You might actually be able to go back with a new number, but you would still have the same thing happen when your roaming starts.
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,074 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaelskenney View Post
    AT&T phones, in the states at least, are programmed to always say AT&T even if you are on another network ... this is what I was told ... to prevent customers from calling customer service every time they see a different network displayed on their phone. So, there really is no way to tell...
    Very false info.
    When I pick up another carrier my AlphaTag changes the name. Roaming is when you are outside the USA. Even when you travel out the USA the alphatag changes.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

At&T accounts are defaulted to say At&t only while in the us. For excessive off network customers or for people who are worried about becoming excessive off network users, Customer Care or your local At&t store can place a roaming alpha tag feature on your account so that you will know when you are roaming. If you don't have that feature on your account and you roam over seas or into another country, your alpha tag will change automatically. BTW, excessive off network doesn't mean that you were roaming internationally... it just means you were using another carriers towers more than 50% of the time. (i.e T-Mobile) AT&T has partnerships with other carriers (and Vise-Versa) so their customers can use other carriers towers with no charge. AT&T basically pays the roaming for the customer.
    No Signature.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Similar issue

For what its worth, I've been having a similar issue over the last week. Starting last Sunday, I noticed that I'd have extended periods where I was only receiving GSM coverage at my home (but nowhere else). After several, long conversations with AT&T, they claim that it is tied to an excessive off network usage flag for my corporate account.

I can understand that my company likely has a lot of off network usage as we have people who travel internationally a fair amount. However, I've generally been in a strong AT&T coverage area (Northern Virginia/D.C.), so why it is impacting my phone is unclear.

They claim that it may work at my office given that's the address they have on file, however it also works at a number of other locations -- just not in my neighborhood -- at least not consistently. What's really frustrating is that it will work fine for 3-4 hours and then have 6-8 hours where there is no or limited data service.

It still seems odd that it is a device or account issue -- they just won't dispatch someone to look for frequency jamming or cell tower issues in my area while the excessive usage flag is on.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Most likely, I'll just switch carriers since we use AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon...