Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Smile Confused

I have an old Bold 9000 I would like to let my wife use, the old Treo 680 is just seen its better days, she does not have an internet plan, nor does she want one. My question is that I was told by an AT&T rep that she must have an internet plan to use the Bold; Why? And if I was told correctly by the rep on the phone, that the government requires data plans on smartphones, then what is the Treo 680 and why is this not classified as an smartphone which falls under the same requirements.

Signed, a long time member of AT&T and now completely confused.
    John
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

AT&T (not the government) requires a data plan for any (all) smartphones and BlackBerry devices activated on their network after Sept. 2009.

So if the device isn't currently active on your account, she will be required to have a data plan.

AT&T to require smartphone data plans starting September 6th | BGR
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

So in other words an ATT Rep either lied to me or has not recieved proper training, what a deal. Not to mention my wife still needs a phone and we are not buying another dumb phone for the second line, so I guess I will just unlock that Bold 9000 and put it on another network for my wife, I gurantee I will find a provider that will not require a data plan for a Blackberry that is not intending to go online, thats a real shame.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Another question: What if I have a Bold for, let's say 4 years with the internet, and I loose my job, so I need to cancel the internet till I get a new job. Is AT&T going to just shut my phone completely off unless I get a dumb phone. I think I'm going to file a ccmplaint with the FCC on this one, it just sounds wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Wow, do I feel slow not to know this, if for no other reason than how much phone news I read and how much I've done with all the different phone OS's.
    I got in contact with another AT&T Rep who told me essentially that as long as I have the Blackberry Torch on the other line I am essentially locked into internet services on my phone, the alternative is having no services at all on the phone.
    What this tells me is that AT&T is essentially locking me into the life of the device contract, with the extra internet services activated to have any services at all. The only two alternatives seem to be either cancel AT&T at the end of the contract or sign another two year contract. This just seems wrong to me, I understand that companies must make a profit, but it should not do so by forcing customers into services they may not always need. If this is a good company, with good services, which by the way for the most part I think it is; then why does it need to depend on policies meant to deceive and/or trap customers rather than rely on word of mouth, advertising, and promotional activities to attract customers in an open and fair market.
    By the way, I am filing a complaint with the FCC on this particular subject and only wish that others that feel the same way; file a complaint as well.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

If you want to have a BlackBerry or a smartphone active, you will be required to have a data plan.

Simple as that. Unfortunately, your personal circumstances don't come into play.

Your option is to activate a device that doesn't require data. Again, simple as that.

And as to the FCC complaint, good luck with that. Having a BlackBerry or a smartphone is a choice. No one is forcing you to make that choice.

Disclaimer: I do not work for AT&T (or any other communications company for that matter).
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks, it just seems to me that though true I have chosen to have a Smartphone, I did not agree to a lifetime of device internet services or the phone becomes garbage; of course this is only true if you do not unlock the device and/or flash the ROM. So there you go phone makers and carriers, try to stop us from flashing and unlocking our devices when you put the customers in this type of situation.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you buy the phone at full contract price or buy a phone from another source (read: not through the company), T-Mobile as of yet does not require a BlackBerry data plan for Blackberry. The only phones where a data plan is absolutely required at this point are Android models and possibly WM7, i'm not sure. Nokia and BlackBerry smartphones do not require data provided you activate the phone without getting the subsidized discount from the company.

When you get a discount on smartphones, carriers require smartphone data for the period of your contract to make up the difference. Even still, some companies can lose money depending on the time frame/rebates you use in order to get the phone to its lowest possible price. Unfortunately, this is still a service, not a right, and no carrier is required to allow you to use any device of your choosing in a way that you desire. That being said, T-Mo is the only carrier I know that still doesn't really care what you use as long as you don't acquire the phone using their discount. I've known people to even lie about having a dumb phone (or get the free dumb phone) when activating an account, because they think they have to trick thee company. This isn't the case. T-Mobile, local and CC, was very much aware that I had a Blackberry for about six months without data, and that I wasn't interested it be added until I requested it. They were fine with it. I didn't buy the phone from them, so they weren't losing money from a subsidy but gaining money from a contract they might not have had.

(I strongly believe the other reason for this is that T-Mobile is the current go-to company for international college students and many have Blackberry units they want to activate- with or without data. At least in my area, as a former rep, there was a huge demand for it.)

I don't know how long T-Mo will actually use this practice, since they're in the process of being eaten/acquired by ATT, but I know as of right now you can still walk into a store and activate a Blackberry on a no-contract plan without data. You can't fault ATT for wanting to make the most of their discounts, but no, as you pointed out, these policies don't make a lot of room for life's obstacles. In the event of these, most people (even on this forum) claim to resort to dishonest practices to meet their needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Just an FYI, I have always had mobile internet since phones could receive the internet and have never thought of cancelling such services, but I still contend that I did not sign any document stating that I either had the extra cost of internet on my phone or no services at all.
    Last edited by staplesjohn; 04-08-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Szotz, your making a strong point on why the FCC should seriously look at the AT&T T-Mobile merger.
    CrackBerry Genius

There are $15 data plans on AT&T (in case you weren't aware of the lower tier plans).

Another option is to sell the Bold and use the money from that to purchase a dumb phone. You should even be able to turn a little profit too.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

You should have been around in 2008 when all the people were alternately whinging about having to have a $30 unlimited data plan, and then when they wheedled their way out of it, the $7000.00 bills they got for using smartphones on Pay Per Use data billed at a penny per kilobyte.

There are hundreds of thousands of messaging phones for sale on eBay, typically for less than $60.00. Don't buy unlocked phones, since unlock codes only cost about $1.00 anyway.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Yep, I was over at 1 source, TreoCentral, Treobits, and a few others around that time. I guess the reason I never experience this problem with my Treo's was that they were the best devices around at that time and with ChatterMail I was recieving full HTML emails in 2008. And yes, my wife has been using Palm's on AT&T for a long time without internet and not once have we recieved any extra cost. Sadly though, the Palm devices I have are starting to show their age and have stopped working correctly, so I will have to find another Palm so that my wife can once again have a full keyboard.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Or you can wise up and not use AT&T branded smartphones on AT&T. Eat your cake and have it too.
    CrackBerry User

you can put the sim in the bold 9000 and still use it on att, just wont be albe to use data, only voice and sms