Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    PIN
    21143a00
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Best 'dumb' phone for texting but not Internet

Hi all,

Looking for advice. I have gotten to the point that I just don't use data on my Bold 9000 any more. I have other devices and am tired of paying for bandwidth I don't use.

I am looking for a phone that will do SMS well, but not require a data package. I wish I had my old Razr, I could have made due with that. A qwerty keybd would be nice, but not a requirement.

Any suggestions? I am not looking to buy and extend my contract. Looking for a relatively cheap phone I can buy outright and just slip my SIM card into, cancel my BB data plan, and go my merry way texting and making my 3 or 4 calls a month.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Boldly going where no cell phone has gone before...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Lonely days for the Bold 9000 ahead
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24F285A2

The samsung strive or the pantech impact are considered a couple of the best phones for texting. They both do the whole conversation (threaded) style texting. The pantech ease is a real basic one too.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

My favourite phone before I get bb is LG Rumor 2. I text sooooo much with it, is great. no problem with this phone.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ky's Records

Dang if you were able to do it....your bold minus the data=best option.
    Every time I think about a hot model with a pink curve I end up with blue bolds!!!!

There is a higher probability that something is wrong with you and NOT your new 9700!!! The sooner you accept that reality, the happier you will be.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    PIN
    21143a00
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Great ideas. Thanks to all. I agree that keeping the Bold without a data plan would be ideal, but I don't think you can do that. Will look at the Sammy, the Pantech and the LG.

Thanks again,
    Michael
    CrackBerry Genius

I vouch for the LG Rumor 2 as well. That has a nice keyboard!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    32211A3C

Don't get the impact, it's prone to blank displays. My advice would be a Samsung Flight. It's a great phone that I rarely see here at the DSC. Stay away from LG phones.
    Resident ATT Tech & Blackberry Expert.
    It's not speeding until your in the triple digits.
    Pin me i'm up all night. 32211A3C
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

^ I have bad experience with few different Samsung phones but not with LG. I think Rumor is a very good phone, it is strong and good reception and everything.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    KY AND THE BRAIN, BRAIN, BRAIN...

Wait, are you sure you can't text if you cancel your data plan? I sure thought you could... lots of people in the 9000 forums talk about using the phone without data (though they always get flamed by id!ots making bad 'that's-like-buying-a-car-without-wheels' anologies).

I'm pretty sure if you canceled the data plan you'd still be able to use internet stuff, but only over wifi, and SMS has always been treated separately on my AT&T bill, so I don't see why you need the data plan for that either.
    CrackBerry User

Nokia E72 would be good because it has QWERTY keyboard.
    Sanj
    splurgem.com
    Website Design
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I stand corrected. This was once an option, but you're right, AT&T will no longer allow you to use a BlackBerry without a data plan. When I read this, I decided to chat with an online AT&T rep about it. I asked him about both your question and one of my own, so I'm sorry it jumps topics a bit, but here it is if you're interested :

Fidel: Welcome to AT&T online Feature Sales. How may I assist you with your features today?

digitalb0y: Hello, I have two questions. First, can you tell me what my current early termination fee would be? And second, is it possible to have a BlackBerry that allows texting but does not include a BlackBerry data plan?

Fidel: Hello, digitalb0y! I'll be more than happy to help you today! Also, all of our BlackBerry phones require a Data plan.

digitalb0y: So if I put my SIM card in a non-BlackBerry device and cancel my data plan, what happens if I put it back in the BlackBerry?

Fidel: For information on your Early Termination fee I do recommend you contact our Customer care at 611 or 1-800-331-0500. They will have direct access to your account and will be able to let you know how much your Early Termination fee would be. Online we can only help you add features such as messaging Data or Navigation. We don't have direct access to your account to access your Early Termination fee.

Fidel: AT&T will set you up with a BlackBerry Data plan. The sim card informs AT&T of the device you are using. I do apologize for the wait.

digitalb0y: Wow, that's really lame. So even if I own my own unlocked BlackBerry outright and only want to use it for texting and calling, you'll force me to pay for data I don't need?

digitalb0y: So long AT&T! I don't care how much my early termination fee is. It can't be more than what I will save in a single year by switching to T-Mobile.

Fidel: I do understand you don't want a Data plan. However, this feature is required to all of our PDA Smartphones. The only devices that don't require a Data plan are regular non PDA phones. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

digitalb0y: Not unless you can offer me an Android phone that runs OS 2.1 or higher.

digitalb0y: Or if you can beat the $73 per month I'll be paying T-Mobile after all taxes and fees for unlimited data and 500 anytime minutes.

digitalb0y: But I think we both know you can't do either of those things. Have a great morning.

Fidel: Thank you for choosing AT&T. Have a great day!

Chat InformationThe chat session has been closed by your AT&T sales representative.
    CrackBerry Genius

digitalb0y,

Yeah all BBs on AT&T have to have data now. I think it's kind of lame because even if you bought your phone full retail or off of ebay or something, you still need to have data on it.
    The only people who don't have data on their BBs were the ones who activated them without data before the policy came into effect. If they get another BB phone, then they are stuck with a plan.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Yeah, that's lame alright. But apparently other carriers followed suit. BUT, back on topic...

I think if you want to keep you current number and drop your data plan, and you don't want to spend a ton, you should take a look at the Go! Phones that Best Buy sells. They're designed to be pay-as-you-go, but you can drop a SIM card in them and use them with your existing account. I bought one that has a full BlackBerry style QWERTY keyboard and was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled texting and messaging. If I could have somehow pulled all of my contacts down from Google I probably would have kept using it after my Bold died, instead of reverting to my old Pearl while I shopped for a new phone. I actually prefer it to the Pearl by leaps and bounds, and it was like $60 or so. I just didn't have the time to copy 500+ contacts into it by hand.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    PIN
    21143a00
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I think a GoPhone is in my future, but right now I have about 4 months left on my 2 year contract, so I need a phone that will still be usable on my ATT contract for a few months. Lots of good suggestions here, just need to go to the store and get touchy feely with them and try to find one that will work.

Thanks for all the great input everyone,
    Michael
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

No, that's exactly when you want the GoPhone. You just drop your own SIM in instead of the prepaid one that comes with it, and use a very capable but inexpensive phone to ride out your contract.
    CrackBerry Abuser

i think you can just deactivate the data plan
    i have a friend taht does it on t-mobile
    just texting and phone no internet
    CrackBerry Newbie

E72's are ok, if u have girls hands, or Asian hands. You'd be better off with a E61 or 62. These are like Blackberrys. When they made them like candybars and more narrow, u needed smaller fingers.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sanjr View Post
    Nokia E72 would be good because it has QWERTY keyboard.
    E72's are ok only, if u have girls hands or Asian hands. You'd be better off with a E61/61i/62. These are like Blackberrys, and easy to text with. When they made them like candybars and more narrow, and the keys are joined together with no separation. So u needed smaller fingers.