CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default wow the droid section must really be slow

all these trolls coming over here to try and stir up trouble. I guess the boring droid section doesnt have enough drama in it.
    CrackBerry User

Default The droid is great.

It's slow for a reason.
    I've got a Droid and a 9530 Storm.
    I never would have guessed it, but the droid does everything better. I'm not knocking my storm. I like it because I'm used to it. It's like a warm blanket. But the Droid is truly a great device.
    Unlike my storm, it never locks up, never dies, never gives me issues of any kind. The SMS is better, the typing is better, the apps are better.
    It's a matter of time before I give up my Storm and possibly get another Droid for that line.
    CrackBerry Abuser

droid does.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Noobi here to the crackberry forum. I tried out the Droid for 30 days and exchanged it for the S2. Hope the S2 works a lot better than the POS Droid. I mean I really wanted to like the droid, the screen was awesome, the browser was great, and the built-in Nav was pretty good too. But the voice quality is for ****s...horrible, whenever I would call someone they constantly complain that they're hearing an echo, my voice sounded choppy and unnatural like it was digitized, bad static...I mean it is a phone after all, that's the one thing that it should do right. Email syncing and management on the droid is just awful, I would read and delete emails and they would show up again in the inbox as unread. Sometimes my entire inbox would be empty for no apparent reason. Copy and paste sucks, and you can't forward attachments. Contact management on the droid doesn't always work right. Bluetooth on it pretty much sucks also - the thing can't even transfer contact info via bluetooth. I've only mentioned some of the problems but there are lots more. Again, I REALLY wanted to keep the thing (that's why I held on to it till the very last day of my exchange period), but if it can't do the simpliest thing like have a decent voice quality and email management what good is it as a phone? Everyone who's holding on to it is just hoping for that supposed "Dec. 11th" patch. Well, I wasn't going to take that chance and be stuck with a lemon for 2-yrs. Come on everyone, assure me that the S2 will work much better because I'm not allowed to exchange phone again.
    CrackBerry User

Instead of making assumptions perhaps you might notice that many of us are former storm owners. I gave mine a full year but ran into a wall with app memory that resulted in me having to go back to nearly stock apps. Even then I got 20 mb to work with. That is the device not being built in a way to handle a certain load. Yes the droid forum is slow because we are all so busy discovering the higher level of user friendly functionability instead of posting about trying to find workarounds.

Kl- my droid exp is that voice quality is better (couldn't call quality be part of the network which could fluctuate) I have 3 email accounts setup easily and I get em when they come in and they stay deleted when I delete them. The virtual keybd is a little inconsistent but the physical one is great. I don't know about "lots more" probs. Out of the box my droid is like night and day compared to the satorm. Droid converts are seeing the light....and its not the red one waiting for the phone to reboot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by backinblack--berry View Post
    Instead of making assumptions perhaps you might notice that many of us are former storm owners. I gave mine a full year but ran into a wall with app memory that resulted in me having to go back to nearly stock apps. Even then I got 20 mb to work with. That is the device not being built in a way to handle a certain load. Yes the droid forum is slow because we are all so busy discovering the higher level of user friendly functionability instead of posting about trying to find workarounds.

Kl- my droid exp is that voice quality is better (couldn't call quality be part of the network which could fluctuate) I have 3 email accounts setup easily and I get em when they come in and they stay deleted when I delete them. The virtual keybd is a little inconsistent but the physical one is great. I don't know about "lots more" probs. Out of the box my droid is like night and day compared to the satorm. Droid converts are seeing the light....and its not the red one waiting for the phone to reboot.

+1,

It is slow because we don't have to worry about memory, freezing, battery pulls, installing crappy leaked OS's...etc...

The voice echo has been a issue for some droid owners but not wide spread, There is a option you can change in the Programming menu.
    Apps are great, memory is great, Browser.

No complaints=No crazyness in the Droid forum.

Did you notice the Storm is the only device with a Rant&Rave section? Exactly!

This is coming from someone with the Android icon as the Avatar..

Also why does the Storm copy ever other phones theme? NEW DROID THEME FOR STORM!!!! $$$$

We can change our Homescreens from 3 to 4, 5, 6.... (For Free!)
    Last edited by JoeyMoose; 12-04-2009 at 07:53 AM.
    {+_+} Droid... 2.1/Rooted

If you can't "Contribute" to a thread, Don't Post!
  7. bearkat38

Quote Originally Posted by kl68 View Post
    Noobi here to the crackberry forum. I tried out the Droid for 30 days and exchanged it for the S2. Hope the S2 works a lot better than the POS Droid. I mean I really wanted to like the droid, the screen was awesome, the browser was great, and the built-in Nav was pretty good too. But the voice quality is for ****s...horrible, whenever I would call someone they constantly complain that they're hearing an echo, my voice sounded choppy and unnatural like it was digitized, bad static...I mean it is a phone after all, that's the one thing that it should do right. Email syncing and management on the droid is just awful, I would read and delete emails and they would show up again in the inbox as unread. Sometimes my entire inbox would be empty for no apparent reason. Copy and paste sucks, and you can't forward attachments. Contact management on the droid doesn't always work right. Bluetooth on it pretty much sucks also - the thing can't even transfer contact info via bluetooth. I've only mentioned some of the problems but there are lots more. Again, I REALLY wanted to keep the thing (that's why I held on to it till the very last day of my exchange period), but if it can't do the simpliest thing like have a decent voice quality and email management what good is it as a phone? Everyone who's holding on to it is just hoping for that supposed "Dec. 11th" patch. Well, I wasn't going to take that chance and be stuck with a lemon for 2-yrs. Come on everyone, assure me that the S2 will work much better because I'm not allowed to exchange phone again.
    With that, I will just quote the most over used phrase in the Storm world. USER ERROR!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by paulwright1 View Post
    all these trolls coming over here to try and stir up trouble. I guess the boring droid section doesnt have enough drama in it.
    Same with all the other phones that were suppose to be storm killers....

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bearkat38 View Post
    With that, I will just quote the most over used phrase in the Storm world. USER ERROR!!
    I had to giggle at this one.

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kl68 View Post
    The way to do email properly on a droid is to sync your current email account with gmail. You can do it in a way where you never have to even have a gmail email address you actively use or give to anyone.. You never even have to login to gmail, and outgoing emails originate from your personal domain. Once you have that, it's a dream push email environment.

With regards to voice quality- The one thing Droid has is less lag- The storm has 2 to 3 times the voice delay as the droid due to crappy voice processing. Which leads to people talking over each other all the time. If you ever have a chance to test this out with two phones talking to each other in the same room, the difference is remarkable.

And I've been told that voice quality is one of the issues addressed on Dec 11th.. But there's no way to know how successful that will be.

$Matt
    CrackBerry Abuser

so because you guys are so busy discovering all the aweseomeness of the hemdroid you see the need to bash the storm and storm2? You guys are way too cool I guess.
    Someone said that moving to the Droid from a Storm felt like getting off Parole.. haha I agree.

It's weird because your phone is really your connection to the outside world.. And its a pretty profound thing when you make the leap to true reliability you can build on. Especially after spending time with a device that's pretty much still in Beta development.

$Matt
    CrackBerry Abuser

so because you guys are so busy discovering all the aweseomeness of the hemdroid you see the need to bash the storm and storm2? You guys are way too cool I guess.
    Look, obviously you have some sort of Cosmic-bond with your phone, and I bet the same is true of brand name items you have that work, but may come under scrutiny. -This is life- PEOPLE are irrational.

Understanding the construct of a Cell Phone manufacturers way of conducting business in relation to the *WHY* we as consumers have to buy phones that are 90% ready for market, yet are obviously NOT-hence the rush to market to meet deadlines...

Honestly Paul, WGAS if a competitor's consumer *bashes* your phone?
    It is quite obvious they must bash something else to prop up their low self esteem because they also associate possessions on a personal level.

I have a Storm Version 1.
    I find most apps useless and serve zero purpose.
    The apps I do use I use everyday:
    Garmin GPS: not only a good GPS, but the google search function gets me results in 10 seconds!!! What other app does that?
    WSJ
    Slacker: Howard 101
    Moodio Howard 100
    Life in Pocket served useless so I deleted it.
    Google maps
    Weather Bug -does not leak for me-
    The email is Rock solid, athough the JRCivic guy claims they are truncated?

All in All since 5.0.328 I have had close to ZERO issues, but I will say after 14 days my memory dropped from 40MB to 27...The phone didn't lag like it used to but I do see how people want a device that works...

I haven't had problems like others have claimed.
    CrackBerry Newbie

[QUOTE=JoeyMoose;4232031]+1,

No complaints=No crazyness in the Droid forum.

No complaints? What planet are in living on? I've spent the past 30 days of my life on the Droid forum and there are plenty of complaints...here go see for yourself at this forum...
    supportforums.motorola.com/community/google-android/droid?view=discussions

And that's just the Moto forum, go also to Verizon's website also if you want to see more complaints, but I heard they censor negative commentaries over there.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Probably gets as much traffic as that website you have listed in your signature.

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by orangepeel View Post
    Probably gets as much traffic as that website you have listed in your signature.
    Its only been up for a month
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,364 Global Posts
    PIN
    T OF GUINNESS PLEASE!

I don't have a Droid, or an Android device. I use a Storm 1 that I've had since launch date and I'm pretty happy with it. Could it be better? Sure! I'm always looking for something better. With all the chatter about Droid, I decided to join Android Central to check things out. When I checked out their forums I found several members that I recognize from CB. Very knowledgeable members that shared alot of good information and helped alot of people on CB. In their forum they actually talk about not stirring up emotions in CB, and they actually share how they like their Berries, but they feel their Droids just do it better and more reliably. Personally, I welcome respected members sharing their wisdom and knowledge with me. In the future it will help me make a better decision. I admit there doesn't seem to be much activity in the forums at Android Central, and I suspect that is because the device does what it is suppose to do. People tend to complain more when they are unhappy with something, than share when they are happy with it. Am I gonna switch? Probably not in the short term. I still like my Storm 1, and it does what I need it to do. BUT I admit a patient of mine walked in with a Droid, and he gave me a demo of what it can do and it is a pretty amazing little device and FAST. Long term, I'll take a look at Android, and Berries.
    Shrinked OS 5.0.0.571 Thanks Lyricidal

My Guide to How to Shrink-A-OS: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/how-shrink-os-348769/

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    I don't have a Droid, or an Android device. I use a Storm 1 that I've had since launch date and I'm pretty happy with it. Could it be better? Sure! I'm always looking for something better. With all the chatter about Droid, I decided to join Android Central to check things out. When I checked out their forums I found several members that I recognize from CB. Very knowledgeable members that shared alot of good information and helped alot of people on CB. In their forum they actually talk about not stirring up emotions in CB, and they actually share how they like their Berries, but they feel their Droids just do it better and more reliably. Personally, I welcome respected members sharing their wisdom and knowledge with me. In the future it will help me make a better decision. I admit there doesn't seem to be much activity in the forums at Android Central, and I suspect that is because the device does what it is suppose to do. People tend to complain more when they are unhappy with something, than share when they are happy with it. Am I gonna switch? Probably not in the short term. I still like my Storm 1, and it does what I need it to do. BUT I admit a patient of mine walked in with a Droid, and he gave me a demo of what it can do and it is a pretty amazing little device and FAST. Long term, I'll take a look at Android, and Berries.
    There are quite a few members that bash the storm1 and 2 and add nothing at all to any forums anywhere. I do agree that there are a couple I see on the other forums that are helpful and respectful of other devices but for some reason there are a select few who choose to bash anything that isnt the Moto Droid. I could name them but they know who they are.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

I personally think that the droid is nothing more than a shiny turd. I use my phone for communications and with my experience blackberries best it on every level.

Call quality
    Email
    Typing

All far superior on all 3 blackberries I've used.

You droid trolls can brag up your temporarily faster browser and countless useless apps all you want, I'll take a phone that actually does what a phone is supposed to do.

Have fun with your busted keyboard, both physical and virtual, droid just proves what I've known all along. Motorola cannot make a decent phone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

I'm not a big fan of adopting early anymore, so I just got a S1 for my first personal BB. While I love the S1, it still has it's faults (OS related, we all know what they are). I really want Android to succeed and I can't wait to have one of my own, but for now, I'm going to let everyone else deal with the bugs and first edition phones.

When my Verizon contract runs out next November, I'll be able to get a kickass Android-powered phone. I playz it smarts!111
    Follow Me @sixstorm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Damn_Smooth View Post
    I personally think that the droid is nothing more than a shiny turd. I use my phone for communications and with my experience blackberries best it on every level.

Call quality
    Email
    Typing

All far superior on all 3 blackberries I've used.

You droid trolls can brag up your temporarily faster browser and countless useless apps all you want, I'll take a phone that actually does what a phone is supposed to do.

Have fun with your busted keyboard, both physical and virtual, droid just proves what I've known all along. Motorola cannot make a decent phone.
    If a Droid is a shiny turd, what is a BB Storm?

Calm down. No reason to sound upset over a new phone that was released with fewer bugs.

A phone is supposed to enable people to call one another.
    A Smartphone is supposed to do more.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstorm View Post
    I'm not a big fan of adopting early anymore, so I just got a S1 for my first personal BB. While I love the S1, it still has it's faults (OS related, we all know what they are). I really want Android to succeed and I can't wait to have one of my own, but for now, I'm going to let everyone else deal with the bugs and first edition phones.

When my Verizon contract runs out next November, I'll be able to get a kickass Android-powered phone. I playz it smarts!111

android is over a year old. so it's not early by any means. the eris is just a re-pack of the hero, which has been on sprint for awhile. it's as broken in as it gets without being obsolete.

the droid is a moto smartphone, and motorola has a good track record with advanced devices. don't judge the company based on the moto razr/krzr fads, that is just a company trying to make a buck while it's hot.

all in all it's pretty safe to get a new android phone. they aren't having near the development pains as any of the other smartphones in the last year or two. and that's due to excellent planning, and premiere software code writing. it's not a mash up of crap like the blackberry, where problems are buried under more problematic code. google has their act together.

but don't take my word for it, i just work here.