View Poll Results: Storm forums out of control?
- 33. You may not vote on this poll
Storm forums out of control?
i suppose crackberry.com used to be place where users could discuss their input on the blacbkerry product line, ask for help, share their experiences and provide advice in a fairly productive, fun, and non-antagonist environment.
some of the device forums may still be that way...for now, but the storm forum, and especially the rants and raves forum, is out of control by comparison. although the description on this forum says "keep it friendly" most of the threads in here end in with limbs and various body parts strew about, LOL!
with the influx of new users brought on by the sales success of the storm, unfortunately the entire website seems to be following the storm forums to a gradual decent into juvenile hooliganism. intentionally misleading threads (even in the formally 'no nonsense' os sub forum), obvious flame bait, childish name calling, etc. you name it, crackberry.com storm forum now has all the annoying nuances from your favorite internet forums all rolled into one.
moderators used to have the role of controlling the tone and direction of discussions. however, a small number of antagonist went unchecked early on and successfully changed switched the tide to negative discussion instead of productive discussion. with their success, new attention seekers cropped up around them. maybe the mods are fed up with it as well which is why we don't see much moderation going on lately?
but...i know controversy generates hits, so congrats to the site executives and moderators for taking advantage of that. the place isn't too bad and the credibility of crackberrry.com as a dependable blackberry resource and place for bb enthusiast to gather isn't gone yet, but it's changing. maybe it will self correct? but imagine what happens when the niagra is released and a rants and raves forum is opened up there? if that device is anything less than perfect you'll need a gun and a vest to post in that forum. haha!
well, at least this is still somewhat of a good place to come for info, once you sift through all the mess. plus the os updates seem to be here first. but it's lost a good bit of its charm. a lot of veteran and knowledgeable members rarely post anymore, but at least they've been replaced by new members right? so is the ebb and flow of discussion forums...
anyways, just an observation. maybe i'm wrong?
- CrackBerry Abuser
03-25-09, 12:26 PM #3
- 215 Posts
honestly if people stopped pandering to the BS then it would lose the element of fun for the trolls. you have to admit, the average person in here goes nuts over nothing, and every poster in here is 'in the know', its kind of funny just watching them get agitated. i could imagine how much fun it would be to antagonize them.
and frankly, everyone needs to stop trying to be mods and policemen. its a freakin internet forum, and with the storm attracting every nitwit with a computer its impossible to regulate them. but if people stopped playing with them they would move on. youre not going to stop a behavior with positive reinforcement eh
i hate the redundant threads as much as anyone but these threads about the mods and the forums being out of control need to stop as well. all it does is aggravate the problem. pouring gasoline on a fire isnt the best way to make it burn out. the mods know whats going on in here, all you can do is report the posts if you want and try to relax.
- 03-25-09, 12:51 PM #4
I would have taken you seriously just now, if it were not that I just saw that you went and found me in another thread and took it upon your self to take a stab at me.
Rest assured, my iPhone isn't scratched up from any sort of nails!
Whatever you meant by that, I have no clue, so whatever.
Anyway, to answer your topic-
No, I don't think the rants and raves needs more moderation, I think the members of the board should take more action and report offensive remarks if they are so "offensive".
It's the rants and raves- who am I to stiffle some ones rants in the one place its acceptable to rant in?
Until curses are thrown and feelings are hurt- anythings game.
If you think the rants and raves needs more moderation, you would cry yourself to sleep on a nightly basis if you poked your head in the off topic discussion area of the boards. You need skin of steel to play in those parts.
03-25-09, 12:56 PM #5
- 2,247 Posts
I think it's not quite out of control, but you also have to figure that most (or all) the moderators are on a "as time permits" schedule. They have other responsibilities (job, family, friends, etc) and there seem to be a lot of people here with absolutely nothing better to do than create 5 or 6 accounts just to have their own little schizophrenic conversations where they pat themselves on the back and attack anyone who disagrees with them. So it's just a matter of where the mods may do the best they can, but are simply overwhelmed given the time they have to spend on things here.
It could be argued that more mods are needed then, and that's at least worthy of discussion. I also have a few ideas that might help a bit...
1: I've seen this on another forum, where they merged the search function with posting a new topic. You enter in the subject of your new post, and it automatically runs a search for that giving you maybe the top 5 results, and then a box to enter in your post below that if you don't see what you're looking for. That would be a good thing to implement here, and maybe after someone reaches 100 posts, they can post new topics without the need for searching.
As an aside to #1... IIRC, Crackberry runs off of Drupal, and if that's the case, I personally know a couple of Drupal developers. Just so happens one of them even co-founded a business that creates websites centered around Drupal. I'd be willing to put in a good word on behalf of Crackberry if Crackberry's chief admins wanted to go that route. Not sure I could get any kind of a discount, but if the project is smaller than the sort of thing they usually take on, I might be able to swing an exception.
2: Put a cap on the number of temporary bans a person can have. At least one of our favorite trolls in this subforum has repeatedly been banned for 2 week stints. Implement a 3 strikes rule, or just put a limit on the number of temp bans a person can have before being booted for good. After 2 warnings in the form of 2 week bans, you're gone for good. Optionally it could be that a period of good behavior will erase a ban from your record.
3: Crack down on the trolls. If someone establishes a clear pattern of behavior that is disruptive and rarely offers up anything of any value... Ban their sorry @ss. Give 'em the same warning shots across the bow in terms of temp bans, but ban early, ban often.
4: Also in the spirit of ban early, ban often, hand out more short term bans to defuse situations like the great leak meltdown of 2009 that I missed out on. Hand out 1-24 hour bans when people seem to be getting a bit too worked up. If they come back still looking for a fight, then give them a longer ban.
5: Time permitting, some of the mods could maybe PM people who are egging the trolls on, and ask them to kindly stop. I'll cop to sometimes enjoying a good windup on someone, and taking it a bit too far. If a mod PMs me asking me to stop, odds are very good I will honor their request. I think most people are of like mind on this.
Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
- 03-25-09, 01:02 PM #6Originally Posted by xxxxpradaxxxx;2073116
Don't encourage him to go into the OT forums he will have a nervous breakdown.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- 03-25-09, 01:12 PM #7
I Nominate myself to be the new Storm Rants And Raves Moderator.
I am all seeing. I live on these boards.
I Will Religiously, and Ruthlessly Report Any Posts That I Deem Inappropriate.
Any name calling, or personal attacks will be reported.
So if you get a nice PM from a mod, or POOF your post disappears-
You'll know why.
this is a perfect example of how things have gotten so worked up around here people can't even make a straight faced comment without assuming negative intent.
- CrackBerry Master
03-25-09, 01:25 PM #9
- 1,387 Posts
If you see anything you feel is uncalled or you yourself are being flamed forward it to one of the MOD's like Blaze or Crucial. Notifying one notifies them all and I have found them to be fairly easy to reach. There are a few bad apples on here but don't let them spoil it for you. This site is very useful. There is another site full of great info as well where I found the people to be much friendlier blackberryos.com. Check it out I think you will like it.
bigman, i agree with your comment about the moderation staff probably being overwhelmed given they have other things to do. your ideas are good ones, i'm sure this has crossed the minds of the cb staff...
ck, i figured you would be the first or second person to respond to this post. should i be flattered, flustered, or concerned that you care? lol. btw, you seem to be falling off in your efforts to spew storm hatred and misinformation. you must be running low on your 'stash'. lol
- 03-25-09, 01:47 PM #14
- 03-25-09, 02:09 PM #15
Do I think the forum is outta control? no
Do I think the people are sometimes? yes.
1) It was mentioned before, that when this phone came out it will bring a bunch of new users, a bunch of new users that need to learn the operation of a blackberry and are getting frustrated with the problems.... So with the new users flooding in the gates, and nothing is wrong with that. There are people upset with the operation of outcome of the device and the progress it has made thus far....... Also sometimes allot of discussion on a topic like Kevin mentioned is his previous posts this new year. It's awesome people are talking and things are being learned. I think that is what crackberry is all about....
2) Again it was addresses before that when a user no matter who it is makes a offensive post then it can be reported.... From yesterday it was stated as well that the Crackberry Moderation team would like everyone to police themselves and also others. Instead of replying back to the topic, which everyone has that right to post. But instead of fueling the fire, report it. Takes 2 sec to do and they will take care of it. If it continues with said user in other threads report them as well.
3) We always address the search button or "Oh no not another one of these threads". Why can't we simply reply o the users post and link another thread to it. Letting them know there is already discussion on the matter. I don't like to report a new users post just because they didn't search. But offer guidance to where to look. Example a link, the 101 lecture series, or even off site links to an answer. But they will learn over time. most new people get there new phone and jump on the forums finding it on google. Back in the day that is where I found it and they need an answer, so they post up. They don't read the sections that are broken down for them. They just need an answer to the "ASAP" question. It always seems to get answered. But there also seems to be common conflict between members who have been here 3 months to 1 year or more. Not sure why...... But I believe the best we can do for a new person, wether they are upset and frustrated in there post is to offer guidance and help with an answer, if that does not help and they get more upset(rude post), which has happened before then report it... In my mind people come to crackerry.com looking for help, but think of it this way, " You have a club house and invite a bunch of people over to hang out. The new kid decided to come along and starts trashing the place even after he/she has read the rules, and nobody knows why he is upset, are you going to give him a warning and try and figure out what is going on with him"?
4) users that some may say are causing problems, If there posts have not been reported and the mod's trying to keep up with a forum section that averages over 40-60 threads a day. How can they keep track of all of it... That is why they addresses to us users that when something is going on in a forums post or thread. Report it. that way they can be notified and action can be taken.