Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. jbuller's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default OH look a new iPhone. The iPhone can finally do what the STORM has done all along.

    I just wanted to start a thread and see what people had to say about the new iPhone 3Gs. I mean come on Apple, the Storm has had video since it came out. Big Deal!
    So say what ever, I want to read what educated people have to say comparing the new iPhone and the Storm.
    STORM 9530 v5.0.0.328 (Platform 4.2.0.128)
    Finally! My battery lasts longer than a day!!!
  2. jbdale's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,071 Posts
    PIN
    T of Guinness for the soul
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbuller View Post
    OH look a new iPhone. The iPhone can finally do what the STORM has done all along.
    And other devices beside the Storm for that matter.

    I am actually interested to see what the toy has to offer. I work with the people that have iPhones and I am considering getting one for personal use, that is if the Storm 2 appeals to me more. The biggest problem I have with the iPhone is that it lacks compatibility with many programs, I can't stand the scrolling format, and Apple basically owns you. I don't like the idea of being a slave to a company that doesn't offer the freedom that BB and other manufactures offer. If Apple would just throw users a bone, nothing and I mean nothing could touch the iPhone.
    Last edited by jbdale; 06-18-2009 at 08:26 AM.
    "The iPhone allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history. With the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila" - Unknown

    http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/?ps1=8B67B Free yourself from cigarettes
  3. michal64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbuller View Post
    I just wanted to start a thread and see what people had to say about the new iPhone 3Gs. I mean come on Apple, the Storm has had video since it came out. Big Deal!
    the thing with the iphone is that sure it didnt have all the functions of a whatever bb was out at the time (for the past few years) but whatever iphone was able to do, it did better then any phone on the market.

    At this point its silly to say "oh storm had video editing from the start" so the iphone does that now and does it better, so for someone whos looking for a phone now, does it really make a diff that iphone just now can do it? not really.
  4. rican408's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    256 mb of ram tho. That's what we need...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  5. michal64's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rican408 View Post
    256 mb of ram tho. That's what we need...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    that would not be a problem if only rim would let us install apps on the mem card.
  6. fecurtis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbuller View Post
    I just wanted to start a thread and see what people had to say about the new iPhone 3Gs. I mean come on Apple, the Storm has had video since it came out. Big Deal!
    So say what ever, I want to read what educated people have to say comparing the new iPhone and the Storm.
    When can we get WiFi and threaded SMS?
  7. cd36's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    PIN
    3088767D
    #7  

    Default

    I never see being able to install apps on the memory card, if anything it would be to the 1gig of internal storage. Memory card will probably never happen.

    Wifi: I have unlimited Data, why would I want Wifi? Just another thing to kill battery life, and to deal with.

    Threaded SMS: Look for OS 5.0
  8. Zipster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    PIN
    305B6E8A
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
    When can we get WiFi and threaded SMS?
    WiFi comes on the Storm 2 (assuming), and threaded SMS comes when OS 5.0 is released. The threaded SMS will come via an update to BBM.
    App Version: 5.0.0.328
    redzapper's 3G Storm Black Theme
    Ask T.H.e Council: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-storm-f86/ask-t-h-e-council-327192/
    T.H.Council FF
  9. s0ul_sniper's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    93 Posts
    PIN
    PM Me
    #9  

    Default

    And I don't understand how the "iphone" can be classified as a smart phone since it cant even multi-task...
  10. BoNg420's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_sniper View Post
    And I don't understand how the "iphone" can be classified as a smart phone since it cant even multi-task...
    They need a phone that can keep up with the intelligence of the owner.
  11. fecurtis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zipster View Post
    WiFi comes on the Storm 2 (assuming), and threaded SMS comes when OS 5.0 is released. The threaded SMS will come via an update to BBM.
    I know that (although I'm not sure about the Storm 2, VZW still prefers to have their phones without WiFi) the point of my post was that every phone misses at least a few features you think would be no brainers.
  12. fecurtis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_sniper View Post
    And I don't understand how the "iphone" can be classified as a smart phone since it cant even multi-task...
    It does now with 3.0. Apple did it to keep battery life in check and speed up. That's why so many iPhone folks are so happy with their phone.

    Ironically, I've read a few instances of folks with 3.0 complaining about speed and battery life now..... presumably because they have many apps open at the same time.

    I've also read some owners saying how the copy and paste feature sucks. No phone is perfect...nothing really is these days.
  13. fecurtis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cd36 View Post
    I never see being able to install apps on the memory card, if anything it would be to the 1gig of internal storage. Memory card will probably never happen.

    Wifi: I have unlimited Data, why would I want Wifi? Just another thing to kill battery life, and to deal with.

    Threaded SMS: Look for OS 5.0
    Read post above, I know that we're getting threaded SMS, it'll be tied into the revamped BBM (about time, RIM's layouts for text and emails were easy to use but they just looked so dull).

    As for WiFi, don't get me wrong, VZW's 3G network is quite fast but my FIOS connection at home is much faster.
  14. kinggeoff's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    PIN
    STRIPED: SUIT:
    #14  

    Default

    Storm can do things iphone cant, iphone can do things storm cant...

    this debate has no end
    .328


  15. 21productionz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    282 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cd36 View Post
    I never see being able to install apps on the memory card, if anything it would be to the 1gig of internal storage. Memory card will probably never happen.

    Wifi: I have unlimited Data, why would I want Wifi? Just another thing to kill battery life, and to deal with.

    Threaded SMS: Look for OS 5.0
    I don't see why you can't see that happening, all WM devices have that ability, and it's a good option to have. And as far as WIFI goes, there will be a time when you don't have great service and you'll say "if I had WIFI I could access the net right now" WIFI makes sense on any device that has a browser. Even if you do have service, WIFI will sometimes give you a faster connection than your data plan. JMO
  16. Oilbrnr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    302 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
    It does now with 3.0. Apple did it to keep battery life in check and speed up. That's why so many iPhone folks are so happy with their phone.

    Ironically, I've read a few instances of folks with 3.0 complaining about speed and battery life now..... presumably because they have many apps open at the same time.

    I've also read some owners saying how the copy and paste feature sucks. No phone is perfect...nothing really is these days.
    Uh, there is no difference in 3.0 RE backgrounding any 3rd party apps. Only native Apple apps are allowed at this point to multitask. Maybe you are confusing this with the push notification. Personally, I can only think of one app that I'd like to keep running, Pandora.

    And cut and paste works as advertised. Too soon to tell for me what effect if any 3.0 has had on battery life. I *do* think they tweeked the radio a bit. Overall a solid upgrade.
  17. armedtank's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    993 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Storm pros:
    • Slightly better camera with flash
    • True multitasking
    • Blackberry Messenger
    • "The Network"
    • Better security
    • Surepress
    • Native MS Office document support with DocsToGo
    • Brickbreaker
    Storm cons:
    • Poor handling of HTML email
    • Subpar Browser
    • Cannot wirelessly sync email subfolders, contacts, calendar, tasks or notes
    • Only 128MB app memory
    • OS still needs work
    • 5MB download limit
    • Email message truncation


    iPhone pros
    • Polished UI, overall better user experience
    • WI-FI
    • Better Outlook integration: wireless Calendar, Contacts, Email subfolders sync
    • Visual voicemail included, no extra charge
    • Built in iPod
    • Video editing
    • More memory
    • More storage
    • Better Web browser
    • Larger screen
    • Thousands of available apps
    • Can be jailbroken (which addresses some of the cons)
    iPhone cons
    • No camera flash
    • Cannot wirelessly sync tasks or notes without 3rd party app
    • AT&T network
    • Cannot multitask 3rd party apps, only native ones
    • Pure touchscreen (subjective, but I prefer SurePress)
    • Married to iTunes
    • No native MS Office support
    Neither phone will be the perfect solution..........
    rooted Motorola Droid X
    jailbroken iPhone 3GS Black 32 GB
    HTC Incredible: sold!
    9530 Storm 1: Ding Dong the witch is dead
  18. agentsil's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    74 Posts
    PIN
    Giggidy!
    #18  

    Default

    I won't be happy with wifi I also want. LTE and Wimax and any other 4g made up by carriers and bluetooth 2.0 also and the phone to be unlocked now who is with me!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  19. armedtank's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    993 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentsil View Post
    I won't be happy with wifi I also want. LTE and Wimax and any other 4g made up by carriers and bluetooth 2.0 also and the phone to be unlocked now who is with me!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I can agree with that, I don't care if it's RIM or Apple, but I also need:
    • Complete wireless Outlook integration inbox, subfolders, calendar, tasks, notes, contact
    • 802.11n WIFI
    • At least a 5 MP camera with a properly sized lense and xenon flash (led sucks)
    • At least 64 GB of storage space
    • 1080p video recording w/TV out
    • tabbed browsing
    • 4 inch screen with true 16:9 aspect ratio (those big black bars suck)
    • At least 1GB of OS memory
    • built in HD Radio
    • Built in universal instant messaging client SMS, MMS, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Google all-in-one
    Then i MIGHT be satisfied for a few months.
    rooted Motorola Droid X
    jailbroken iPhone 3GS Black 32 GB
    HTC Incredible: sold!
    9530 Storm 1: Ding Dong the witch is dead
  20. chuckh0308's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,491 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,803 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kinggeoff View Post
    Storm can do things iphone cant, iphone can do things storm cant...

    this debate has no end
    You're right, and it will probably always be that way. They are both great in different ways.

    Now, as I just posted in another rant thread, almost everything Apple added to the iPhone that the Storm already had is done better. Better cut, copy, and paste, better camera autofocus, better landscape keyboard, better video recording PLUS video editing on the phone...

    Apple just stepped up the game and now it's up to RIM to decide how to respond. RIM can't afford to not continue to enhance the Storm and other devices. This is called competition and it's good for everyone. Storm owners should see some benefits down the line as a result of what Apple just did to the iPhone.

    And yes, iPhone 3.0 is awesome!
  21. RCCollins's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    983 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    When will the Storm be responsive and not lag when I receive a call? It is the only phone I have ever used that actually has trouble being a phone.
  22. jbuller's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_sniper View Post
    And I don't understand how the "iphone" can be classified as a smart phone since it cant even multi-task...
    I know! I blew my (iPhone having) friend's mind the other day when I was switching between applications seamlessly. He had never even considered it a possibility.
    STORM 9530 v5.0.0.328 (Platform 4.2.0.128)
    Finally! My battery lasts longer than a day!!!
  23. jbuller's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armedtank View Post
    I can agree with that, I don't care if it's RIM or Apple, but I also need:
    • Complete wireless Outlook integration inbox, subfolders, calendar, tasks, notes, contact
    • 802.11n WIFI
    • At least a 5 MP camera with a properly sized lense and xenon flash (led sucks)
    • At least 64 GB of storage space
    • 1080p video recording w/TV out
    • tabbed browsing
    • 4 inch screen with true 16:9 aspect ratio (those big black bars suck)
    • At least 1GB of OS memory
    • built in HD Radio
    • Built in universal instant messaging client SMS, MMS, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Google all-in-one
    Then i MIGHT be satisfied for a few months.
    Wait. Do you want a laptop? I don't get it.
    STORM 9530 v5.0.0.328 (Platform 4.2.0.128)
    Finally! My battery lasts longer than a day!!!
  24. hricivic18's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    48 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kinggeoff View Post
    Storm can do things iphone cant, iphone can do things storm cant...

    this debate has no end
    They do the same things.. The iphone just does them better...
  25. armedtank's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    993 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbuller View Post
    Wait. Do you want a laptop? I don't get it.
    Nope I want a SMARTphone. We are being spoonfed technology by all the manufacturers. For the price of these smartphones unsubsidized, you can buy a laptop. Plus the tech is already availabe.
    I like to aim high.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions