Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. amoeba1126's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Hopeful, but disappointed so far...

    Me and my family decided to continue sticking with Verizon after our previous 2 year contracted ended since they have consistently provided great network coverage. We went to the store to figure out what phone (I am still appalled about the lack of selection for phones at Verizon when compared to ATT) to get when I saw the Storm on demo.

    When I finally was able to pick it up (some ***** was trying to figure out how to use the accelerometer) and played with it, the only thing I could think of was how sluggish and laggy it was compared to my friends' iPhones. Granted that I feel the iPhone is just a fancy toy, but at least it responded flawlessly to the touch. I was also unconvinced by the screen being a button.

    After a couple of hours of searching for different phones, I ultimately was looking at two phones that fit the bill... the HTC Touch Pro and the Storm. Looking at the HTC however, it was at a monstrous $350 or so and after my upgrade discount, I could get the Storm for $100. I voiced my technical concerns of the Storm to the salesperson who promptly and confidently assured me that it was because the Storm demo was not updated to the newest software version at that all the ones in stock were the newest one and much better. Like the ***** I am, I listened to the guy trying to make money off me and decided to go with the Storm.

    I got home and played with the Storm, setting it up and syncing it with Outlook. Yes it was a fair amount faster than the demo but it still felt sluggish and laggy. The camera I quickly found out, was borderline useless as by the time I can take a family picture, a child would have found the time pass gas and cause everyone else to disperse. There were also a few other concerns, but I assured myself that Verizon and RIM have always been great companies and will undoubtedly fix things.

    It has been three months now since I purchased this phone and nary a word about any new official releases, just an endless line of beta leaks. Apps like Youtube and the media player stay on the background draining battery super fast unless I go through 3 steps to close it. The memory leaks about once a day. It takes about 3-5 minutes to reboot. There is no hardware reset method short of pulling the battery, which is a PITA to do when you have a hard case (yes I know about quickpull but it doesn't work when the phone is frozen). Trying to copy specific words is hard as I cannot seem to pinpoint start and end accurately. The phone had also died on me less than 2 weeks in, but the VW staff was gracious enough to replace it with a brand new phone.

    I am trying really hard to like this phone and being happy with my purchase. Currently, it feels like a sour grapes mentally where I am thinking "I paid a bill for this thing, I better make myself like it." I am currently installing the 0.114v3 hybrid update and here is to hoping it will make a different. I really want to enjoy it but the constant freezes, memory leaks, and lack of official support is really starting to wear on my confidence in whoever is screwing all this up for the Storm.
    Last edited by amoeba1126; 04-10-2009 at 11:02 PM.
  2. amoeba1126's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default

    Just wanted to update the previous rant:

    I started out with OS 0.76 that came stock with the phone and it was horrible. I then updated to 0.109 and things were much better but still crappy. After that I went over to 0.114v3 and things were a bit better. Today I finally installed 0.122 and man did it make a world of difference. The UI is finally decently smooth and snappy and the camera takes pictures in about a second time frame rather than the 10-15 seconds I had to wait previously. I am liking the Storm a lot more but I am still very disappointed that this "fix" had to come in the form of a leaked OS. Since I don't know who makes the decisions to release the software for each carrier (I am assuming Verizon unless RIM is just being mean and using other carriers as guinea pigs) so I won't point any fingers or make any blames.
  3. Painlessone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    You have to remember that the iPhone is two years old, and Apple has had plenty of time to correct their problems. I also was disappointed when I first got my Storm, but I am running the 3.5 Hybrid until an official, or better release comes around, and it seems to work fine. My business partner has an iPhone and he cannot get phone reception at work or at his home...I bought the Storm because I needed a phone that was reliable, and the other is "gravy"
  4. amoeba1126's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calvarez90 View Post
    asfasfasdfasdfasfasdfasfasfasf
    What?
  5. gigajoe84's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I had both the iphone3g and the storm. FYI, my experience with the iphone is that it isn't really "the light at the end of the tunnel". for example- Accelerometer had lag at times, the iphone would freeze up on me every few day, having to do a reset, apps wouldn't open, and had to be deleted and reinstalled to work, battery life on 3g was terrible, had to keep switching from 3g and edge, Had it for about 3 months, jumped ship to verizon , and got the storm. Besides a few bugs and such, I'm overall happy with the storm.
  6. Rated PG-13's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    59 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    When I read the Thread title I just knew it was going to be about the Storm! It's ok bro, I feel your pain...
  7. jdk2's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    572 Posts
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Painlessone View Post
    You have to remember that the iPhone is two years old, and Apple has had plenty of time to correct their problems. I also was disappointed when I first got my Storm, but I am running the 3.5 Hybrid until an official, or better release comes around, and it seems to work fine. My business partner has an iPhone and he cannot get phone reception at work or at his home...I bought the Storm because I needed a phone that was reliable, and the other is "gravy"
    And RIM has been writing software for their smartphones for seven years. The amount of time spent in development doesn't seem to equate to the quality of the end result, does it?
  8. Adjei's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    431 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Painlessone View Post
    You have to remember that the iPhone is two years old, and Apple has had plenty of time to correct their problems. I also was disappointed when I first got my Storm, but I am running the 3.5 Hybrid until an official, or better release comes around, and it seems to work fine. My business partner has an iPhone and he cannot get phone reception at work or at his home...I bought the Storm because I needed a phone that was reliable, and the other is "gravy"
    Yeah and RIM has been making blackberries for 10 years, so they should have more experience, what is your bloody point, stop with these lame azz excuses.
  9. shatiek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    595 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:30BB48AA
    #9  

    Default

    It's looking very good as of late with all the leaks. I for one like the direction the os is going speed wise. A good captain knows when to jump ship. I say give Rim some more time. It's not like you can never get another phone if things don't pan out.
  10. amoeba1126's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Painlessone View Post
    You have to remember that the iPhone is two years old, and Apple has had plenty of time to correct their problems. I also was disappointed when I first got my Storm, but I am running the 3.5 Hybrid until an official, or better release comes around, and it seems to work fine. My business partner has an iPhone and he cannot get phone reception at work or at his home...I bought the Storm because I needed a phone that was reliable, and the other is "gravy"
    Reception was never an issue for me. It was the operation of the device itself. As I said in my post, I stuck with Verizon for their awesome network. It certainly was not because of their phones! As far as the iPhone being buggy, at least Apple diligently fixed and released official updates. I expect that from either Verizon or RIM. iPhone 3G is only Apple's 2nd iteration into the cellular market (I do not count that iTunes phone attempt with Motorola) while RIM has been making smartphones for at least the last 5 years. Don't even talk to me about it being different because of it is RIM's first touchscreen phone, since the iPhone is Apple's first touchscreen anything. If the OS sucked because the touchscreen interface caused issues, shame on RIM for recycling the same smartphone OS instead of creating a new one. Judging on how much the software has improved though, I am inclined to believe that the OS is fine but either no one seriously field tested one or QA was rushed.

    Quote Originally Posted by gigajoe84 View Post
    I had both the iphone3g and the storm. FYI, my experience with the iphone is that it isn't really "the light at the end of the tunnel". for example- Accelerometer had lag at times, the iphone would freeze up on me every few day, having to do a reset, apps wouldn't open, and had to be deleted and reinstalled to work, battery life on 3g was terrible, had to keep switching from 3g and edge, Had it for about 3 months, jumped ship to verizon , and got the storm. Besides a few bugs and such, I'm overall happy with the storm.
    I did not play with an iPhone very long so I will have to take your word for it. I don't mind resetting the Storm but it just takes so long to boot up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rated PG-13 View Post
    When I read the Thread title I just knew it was going to be about the Storm! It's ok bro, I feel your pain...
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    And RIM has been writing software for their smartphones for seven years. The amount of time spent in development doesn't seem to equate to the quality of the end result, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Yeah and RIM has been making blackberries for 10 years, so they should have more experience, what is your bloody point, stop with these lame azz excuses.
    I completely agree! RIM really dropped to ball with the Storm, first with a buggy as **** release and next, with the lack of official support. While I have no problems installing a leaked OS to make my phone better, I do not believe any customer should have to resort to unofficial releases to make their phones "functional." Now before any Storm fanboys jump on me, by functional I mean usable consistently rather than dealing with frequent freezing, sluggish interface, and memory leaks (this one is probably a 3rd party issue).

    Quote Originally Posted by Shatiek View Post
    It's looking very good as of late with all the leaks. I for one like the direction the os is going speed wise. A good captain knows when to jump ship. I say give Rim some more time. It's not like you can never get another phone if things don't pan out.
    Which is why I still have my Storm instead of an HTC Touch Pro!
    Last edited by amoeba1126; 04-11-2009 at 08:51 AM.
  11. bigman2's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,247 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rated PG-13 View Post
    When I read the Thread title I just knew it was going to be about the Storm!
    Well aren't you just a regular Sherlock Holmes... I mean to take the fact that this is in the Storm subforums area... Specifically the Rants and Raves section... How would you ever reach the conclusion that people might rant or rave about the Storm here?
  12. bigman2's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,247 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Posts from Troll High's Cheer Squad aside... I just love it when people armchair quarterback. Some fat b@stard who hasn't seen his own feet since Bush Sr. was in office, thinks that if HE were playing in some football game, things would have been different. Or if only HE were put in charge of some company, he'd turn things around... Never mind that he's a high school dropout, or got a college degree in Obscure Russian Poetry with an emphasis on the Bolshevik era. So clearly qualified to run a multi-national company.

    I keep telling these people... If you think RIM did such a bad job with the Storm, let's see you do better. Because if it's so easy to design a better phone, then surely someone as boastful as you could do it in their sleep. And if you should actually succeed... RIM, HTC, Motorola, LG, Apple, Google... They will ALL be beating down your door to give you big bags of cash if you will come work for them.

    What it comes down to is this: Do you like the Storm, yes or no? It's not a trick question. Don't even think about it, just go with your gut reaction. If it's yes, then just be patient, because good things will be coming. If not, then take advantage of Verizon's 30 day return period and get something else. No point being miserable for 2 years if you have a choice. If you don't like the Storm, no update is likely going to change that.
  13. amoeba1126's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Posts from Troll High's Cheer Squad aside... I just love it when people armchair quarterback. Some fat b@stard who hasn't seen his own feet since Bush Sr. was in office, thinks that if HE were playing in some football game, things would have been different. Or if only HE were put in charge of some company, he'd turn things around... Never mind that he's a high school dropout, or got a college degree in Obscure Russian Poetry with an emphasis on the Bolshevik era. So clearly qualified to run a multi-national company.

    I keep telling these people... If you think RIM did such a bad job with the Storm, let's see you do better. Because if it's so easy to design a better phone, then surely someone as boastful as you could do it in their sleep. And if you should actually succeed... RIM, HTC, Motorola, LG, Apple, Google... They will ALL be beating down your door to give you big bags of cash if you will come work for them.

    What it comes down to is this: Do you like the Storm, yes or no? It's not a trick question. Don't even think about it, just go with your gut reaction. If it's yes, then just be patient, because good things will be coming. If not, then take advantage of Verizon's 30 day return period and get something else. No point being miserable for 2 years if you have a choice. If you don't like the Storm, no update is likely going to change that.
    Wow... people like you need to be permanently disconnected from the Internet so you can stop spreading trash like this post; at least my complaints are justified as a paying customer. God forbid that I express my disappointment about a product I spent money on expecting it to work at least decently in a forum path labeled "BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com > BlackBerry Device Help and Discussion Forums > BlackBerry Storm 9530/9500 > Storm Rants & Raves Forum" Just in case you are an illiterate monkey from the shanties, here is what that means... a place reserved for people to either praise or criticize their Blackberry Storm.

    To address the other point of your argument, you do not have to be a chef to accuse someone of cooking something that tastes like crap. On the user experience side of things, all the issues as well as RIM/Verizon's lack of response made it crap. I don't have to be an expert programmer or cellular phone engineer to know that something is seriously wrong with memory leaks and freezing. That's like you telling me I am not able to tell you a toilet was designed like crap when it is leaking because I am not a plumber. Sports commentators provide assessments on the performance of athletes. As a consumer, it is not if I can do it better or not, but rather can the company make it better or not.

    As to the last part of your argument of why do I keep it, never once did I say I hated it. With the exception of lack of wifi, I appreciate all the TECHNICAL features of the phone. It is the software side of things that often irritates me to turn my Storm into a permanent paper weight. That said, since the issue is software and not hardware and RIM had been such a stable pillar in the smartphone industry, I put my faith that these issues will be addressed, which from the leaked OS appears to be on its way. If you bothered to read my post updating my initial rant, you will see that I am pleased with the leaked OS 0.122 and its new performance, but continue to remain displeased about the lack of announcements or support provided by either RIM or Verizon.

Posting Permissions