Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Does Anyone NOT Hate the Storm?

This is by FAR the most frustrating, dysfunctional phone I've ever owned. I've truly grown to hate it but am stuck with it for 2 years & am trying to make peace with it. It constantly freezes, locks up the screen when a message is being received while I'm typing, won't run any app I download, the browser is as fast and responsive as your average garden snail, and often just bombs out at "15K of 16K," for example. I can't download ringtones or wallpapers to it - they just disappear into the ether - I can't rapidly take a photo with it because the process of activating the camera takes 20 seconds, and on and on and on. Ubertwitter won't link up with Twitter, and Twitterberry won't run in landscape mode no matter what I do.

I watch my friends with their iPhones and am either enraged or distraught, depending upon my mood at the time. Slick, intuitive, EASY TO USE, fast, responsive and on and on. But stuck on AT&T (no way - ever) and not supported by my company. The Storm is the only device on which I can get my work email, my personal email and my phone/text so I can't abandon it unless I go back to 2 devices.

So in all seriousness - does anyone NOT hate this thing? Who can help me make peace with it . . . maybe even learn to like it enough to give it a new name (the one with which it's currently christened isn't very kind). . . .
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

I do not hate the storm and can type faster on it than an iPhone. I use it as a tertiary phone and a media player for the most part, though it does make its way into the rotation at times. The only stable phone I use all the time (i carry 2, sometimes 3 depending on what I have to do) is my Bold. All the others rotate.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.

I like mine. Sounds like you need to read up on memory management and such. What OS are you currently on?
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I can type pretty fast on my Storm, too. But I have an iTouch, which is the iPhone without the phone. The browser is fast, the apps actually download and run, the battery lasts a long time and I've never once wanted desperately to throw it at a block wall. I work through that feeling with my Storm at least a dozen times a day!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

love it, was running .151, then just switched to a hybrid. cant see why alot of people are hating on this thing
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Running the latest OS - just updated last week by Verizon. Didn't change anything - had to be updated because they had to give me a new phone. The old one's screen went haywire.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

And I fail to understand how reading up on memory management would stop the phone from freezing/locking up whenever it's receiving an email or text? If I'm typing and the "I'm receiving a message arrow" in the upper right shows up, my screen is locked up for anywhere from 2 - 15 seconds. That's not memory management, it sounds like bad software to me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    CERS HURT

I actually don't mind my storm at all. .151 is really the OS to go with for it. It rarely freezes if ever. I'll probably keep this until VZW gets the iphone...if it happens

and something off topic, I don't mean to upset anyone and it's probably just me but it really bothers me when people call it the iTouch...that's not what it's called and it's never been called that. It's the iPod Touch. They never called the iPod Nano or the iPod Classic as the "iNano" or the "iClassic," why is this the iTouch...I assume to make it as close to the iPhone name but I digress. Again I don't mean to upset anyone or make anyonre angry or defensive, just my litle rant, take it for what it's worth (probably nothing )
    VZW Premium Retailer
    Using Storm 9530 OS 4.7.0.151
    Been doing this whole cellular thing for 4 years and counting...
    This is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of Verizon Wireless or its affiliates. Please take any advice/comments I may give as my opinion and nothing more.

how much application memory do you have

options>memory

Also what is that number on a reboot?
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    T of Ale regularly

I have no issues with the the Storm. I hesitate to post some of the following as it goes against some basic ideas posted daily on these boards.

I have a ton of applications, paid and free, and my free memory runs low, in fact, it borders on the ridiculous in the minds of some of the CB veterans. I boot up around 14Mb, and my Storm holds all day around 12MB, give or take. I don't have lockup issues, and it seems fairly fast to me.

I upgraded to this phone knowing full well the click screen was new technology, and a first effort for RIM. Perhaps my expectations weren't as high as others and that keeps me happy with the device.

I never load beta or cracked or hybrid application or OS's. The released 148 works fine for me and I can move in and out of applications without any severe hangups. The only maintenance I do is a nightly Meterberry reset.

I'm not knocking your post, you sound very disgusted with the device. But you did ask if anyone does NOT hate it. I don't hate it.

I just wonder at times, while reading these boards, if folks weren't perhaps expecting too much for this first effort touchscreen from RIM?

Joe
    All non-spammer followers get followed, as it should be.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1117555395
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts

Another one post drive by attacking the Storm and praising the iPhone. No questions either, which you would expect from a supposed new owner experiencing problems. "How can I prevent this from happening?" etc.

Don't they get bored of this?
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

I Hate People Who Love Their Storm!!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CommAve View Post
    This is by FAR the most frustrating, dysfunctional phone I've ever owned. I've truly grown to hate it but am stuck with it for 2 years & am trying to make peace with it. It constantly freezes, locks up the screen when a message is being received while I'm typing, won't run any app I download, the browser is as fast and responsive as your average garden snail, and often just bombs out at "15K of 16K," for example. I can't download ringtones or wallpapers to it - they just disappear into the ether - I can't rapidly take a photo with it because the process of activating the camera takes 20 seconds, and on and on and on. Ubertwitter won't link up with Twitter, and Twitterberry won't run in landscape mode no matter what I do.

I watch my friends with their iPhones and am either enraged or distraught, depending upon my mood at the time. Slick, intuitive, EASY TO USE, fast, responsive and on and on. But stuck on AT&T (no way - ever) and not supported by my company. The Storm is the only device on which I can get my work email, my personal email and my phone/text so I can't abandon it unless I go back to 2 devices.

So in all seriousness - does anyone NOT hate this thing? Who can help me make peace with it . . . maybe even learn to like it enough to give it a new name (the one with which it's currently christened isn't very kind). . . .

y'all postin in a troll thread...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

I love my Storm. I ordered on release day in November (or was it December), and have loved it since day 1. I could count the number of times it has locked up in all those months easily on my fingers.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    928 Global Posts

I love my Storm, man. If you're having problems with it, search for solutions and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're here to help.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    What's that?

Bought my Storm for myself for Christmas, still on #1. I can type faster on it them on my previous treo. I love my Storm more and more everyday. I have never had any of he problems that you here about on this site. It has been slow at times but now with 151its amazing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

I appreciate the responses - even those attacking me for not asking questions (um . . did you READ my post?). I have zero applications on the device that did not come with it. I have 17.8MB of free space in Application Memory, 876.9 MB of free space in Device memory and my entire Media Card is free space. I'm running .148

The device freezes when it's receiving an incoming message of any kind. I can't type until the incoming message is processed by the phone, which can take from 2 - 20 seconds. How do I stop that?

The device will not install downloaded apps. They're there, but will not run (and have since been deleted). Any ideas?

Ubertwitter will not run. It downloads, but has spent 3 days trying to validate my ID & password with Twitter. It has since been deleted. Ideas?

The device randomly erases from the Custom Dictionary words that I have put there. This even happened to the Verizon tech who responded with "That's not supposed to happen." Um. Yeah. Knew that. Any suggestions?

The device locks up completely about every 3 - 4 days and requires a battery pull to unfreeze. I find it laughable that there is an app I can pay $2.99 for that simulates a battery pull. I'd be embarrassed if someone created such an app for my product. Again - ideas, anyone? How do you stop it from locking up?

To date, all I have been able to do on the phone is make calls, send & receive text messages, take photos (after the lengthy delay required to boot up the camera) and send & receive email. I'm not exactly taxing the thing, but it certainly is taxing me.

I've been to the Verizon store so many times that my car goes there by itself. They are of no help with these issues, and just tell me "it's a Blackberry thing." I had 4 different Blackberries before this one and LOVED every one of them. This one is making me crazy. I'm paying $150 a month for a paperweight that has a phone in it - HELP!
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    CERS HURT

If there's that many issues, I would contact VZW and request a warrenty replacement. I've never heard of people having half of the problems that you have, so either a. You're a troll or b. you just didn't know about the warrenty you have, which I couldn't understand.
    VZW Premium Retailer
    Using Storm 9530 OS 4.7.0.151
    Been doing this whole cellular thing for 4 years and counting...
    This is my opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of Verizon Wireless or its affiliates. Please take any advice/comments I may give as my opinion and nothing more.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't have any of the problems you speak of.
    OCBA OCBA
    OBSESSIVE CRACKBERRY ABUSER
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CommAve View Post
    1)It constantly freezes, locks up the screen when a message is being received while I'm typing,

2)won't run any app I download,

3)the browser is as fast and responsive as your average garden snail, and often just bombs out at "15K of 16K," for example.

4)I can't download ringtones or wallpapers to it - they just disappear into the ether -

5)I can't rapidly take a photo with it because the process of activating the camera takes 20 seconds, and on and on and on.

6)Ubertwitter won't link up with Twitter, and Twitterberry won't run in landscape mode no matter what I do.
    1) do what it says in the topic that i linked a few posts back, thread titled "resolved memory leak"

2)please be more specific, what apps are you trying to run that you've downloaded that won't work?

3)are you trying to view mobile pages, or like full on desktop style pages? make sure you have your browser identification set to "blackberry" otherwise you'll get redirected to desktop style pages

4)wallpapers and ringtones are being downloaded from where? i use my PC then copy/paste onto the memory card, and i have no problem

5)i'll time how long it takes to run, load and snap a picture right now for a bit of a baseline, and we'll go from there:

it took me all of about 8 seconds to whip it out, hit the right convenience key, load the app, then use the half-way down thingy to focus, get the green box, and then press all the way down to snap the shot...

6) i don't use ubertwitter, or twitter at all, i think twitter is gayer than 8 guys making sweet, sweet tender love to 9 guys...

but it sounds like you need to disable compatibility mode? or it's an app error...

you have a lot of easily resolvable issues, and since i burned you pretty hard, i'll offer my assistance. i'll take you under my wing as a special project...email me at patches152@gmail.com and i'll teach you the ways of the blackberry, and how to make your phone as badass as mine is...
    CrackBerry Abuser

two words.....user error....too many apps =problems

Venomgirl....the name speaks for itself
    CrackBerry Abuser

I actually love my storm... even tho I'm on my third, and possibly going this week to pick up my fourth... !!!

Adree -
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,038 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH Me!

I love my storm!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast