Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Problem Adding Ringtones (after .83 install)

I installed .83 and things seem better like everyone else has noticed.

However, this may or may not be related to the beta. I downloaded some ringtones to my computer (.mp3) from Zedge this morning (after the O.S. install), and then moved them to my ringtone folder with the rest of my previously downloaded ringtones from Zedge. I removed the USB connection like you must do so you can view what you've moved over to the memory card, but they do not show up. I took the SD card out of the phone and plugged directly into the USB device on my computer, and I could view all my previously downloaded ringtones again, and including the several I put on the SD card this morning. So, I deleted the new ringtones and moved them again from my desktop to my ringtone folder. I put the SD card back into the phone but it still does not display the new ringtones.

I went back to ZEdge and downloaded them directly to my device OTA and I got a message asking if I want to overwrite the duplicate, so even though they're not visible they were obviously on the card. I overwrote them and they show up now. My concern is if I'm moving videos or ringtones via the USB, or even directly to the card with the card reader hooked to the computer, will they not show up.

Can anyone else test this out for me to see if its operator error somehow?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

Any chance you have the ringtone files marked as hidden?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dsump View Post
    Any chance you have the ringtone files marked as hidden?
    How would I check that?

Thanks for the reply. This one has me stumped.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

go into your media folder and go to your play list and you go to any of thoes songs hit menu button and set as ringtone wha lah ! you have ringtones.
    Lost count of how many phones I have had.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FC6ED1

or if your still connected to the pc, and have mass storage mode enabled, the ring tones on the card will not show up.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I loaded a video trailor last night and had the same thing happen. But I didnt delete it I just unplugged it again, and went back into videos and it showed up after that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by bmtbandit View Post
    or if your still connected to the pc, and have mass storage mode enabled, the ring tones on the card will not show up.
    As soon as I transferred them, I disconnected from the USB like I always do. They just didn't show up in the folder.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by sooks View Post
    go into your media folder and go to your play list and you go to any of thoes songs hit menu button and set as ringtone wha lah ! you have ringtones.
    Oh I do that a lot with ringtones. I was in the holiday spirit and had a few Christmas ones to put on the card. Festivis for the rest of us.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FC6ED1

Try going into the media player, in the main section hit the BB button, gotot Explore, and see if you can see them that way.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    PIN
    304B3E73

This is a very simple fix, all you have to do is delete the BBThumbs.dat file in the blackberry ringtones folder and Bam! Mp3s will show up fine. Rinse and repeat.

Do this on the PC and make sure you have show hidden files on.

Last edited by Jascias; 12-23-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

I can confirm this method works but then the phone starts to duplicate my ringtones.

For example, I upload "Alert1" to my ringtones folder in Blackberry1 (Device memory), it will duplicate the file when editing my sound profiles. The name "Alert1" will show up multiple times but the file itself isn't duplicated.

Anyone know why this happens? Does it happen to anyone else?

Oh and I have .85

EDIT: It seems like this happens everytime I connect it to my computer via USB...
    Last edited by altezzaboy03; 01-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.