Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation OS upgrade causes red X on some old emails in BIS

Ok, this has been driving me nuts and I can't fine a reason for it. Every time I upgrade the OS on my Storm, some of my old emails (if I go to open them again and scroll in them) will cause them to get a Red X on them with the header changing into "Cannot get more".

This is BS because the originals are still where they were in my inbox on the server so the legit reasons when this normally happens (when BIS server can't find original email) isn't the case here. This is happening on 3 different BIS/OWA account I use. So, I need some input on this problem from others.

BTW, I saw this happen a few times when updating my old 8830 to "some" but not all versions of 4.5. This has happened with ALL OS updates on the Storm and even was the case when I migrated my old emails from my 8830 to it a long time ago. Why is this happening? I even deleted and added the accounts back into BIS, didn't change behavior.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Below is the workaround for this.

Old emails that are restored after an OS upgrade will turn into a RED X instead of an OPEN ENVALOPE if you open them agin and cursor up into the header of the email or down through the body of the email. (Apperently this happens because the BB tries to "Get More" for an email that doesn't have more to get. However, if the email is a long one and it does have more bytes to get towards the rest of the body of the email, this will not happen and the auto request goes through and properly propagates the rest of the email. Workaround for this is to turn Auto More OFF under General Email Options. When set to NO, you can open old emails and cursor around and it will not trigger a false "Get More" and corrupt the envalope status of the email. The bad part about this is that you have to manually hit Menu/Get More or Menu/Get More All on long emails, which can be a pain if you constantly get large emails.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-16-2009 at 10:39 AM.

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

No one has seen this problem on their Storm?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Having the same issue. Don't know what the issue is.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

I have seen this problem on messages i have saved, and put in my folder. However, I have no idea what's causing this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I have seen this as well. I couldn't narrow it down but some of the red "X'ed" messages were ones that I had saved.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

I am seeing it in both saved messages and messages that are left in each email account. Kind of annoying but not a big deal.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Nope

It happened to all of my messages that were not deleted before the upgrade.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    PIN
    304DCC34

Never had this problem and just went WAY back in my inbox and didn't see it. Maybe it's a problem with backing up and restoring?
    GIVE MY SITE SOME VIEWS PEOPLE!!: http://cssmith.org
    FOLLOW ME!: http://www.twitter.com/cssvt

You won't regret it.....ok, no promises.

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by CSSVT View Post
    Never had this problem and just went WAY back in my inbox and didn't see it. Maybe it's a problem with backing up and restoring?
    That was my thinking as well. Each message has a specific ID tag associated with it so that BIS knows where that is in the mailbox on the server. Perhaps the new DM versions have a bug in them.

That being said, what eversion of DM are you using? I've been trying for the longest time to narrow this down to something specific and I just can't seem to do it.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    CHE MIERDA

Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
    That was my thinking as well. Each message has a specific ID tag associated with it so that BIS knows where that is in the mailbox on the server. Perhaps the new DM versions have a bug in them.

That being said, what eversion of DM are you using? I've been trying for the longest time to narrow this down to something specific and I just can't seem to do it.
    I had this problem when I was running 4.7DM. I'm running Vista Home and had issues with 4.7 not being able to restore. Now I dont know what the issue was but I read somewhere that some other folks were having the same issue so they removed 4.7 and reloaded 4.5DM. I did that and havent had that problem since. It's been virtually flawless since I've went to 4.5 and I've done 5 updates since then.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

I've experienced the same here as well. But considering this is my first BB, I didn't realize it wasn't suppose to do that.

I thought it was a feature!

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,228 Global Posts
    PIN
    304DCC34

GIVE MY SITE SOME VIEWS PEOPLE!!: http://cssmith.org
    FOLLOW ME!: http://www.twitter.com/cssvt

You won't regret it.....ok, no promises.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

Same here, running DM 4.7 w/media option.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask and I might Tell :)

im running vista ultimate and DM 4.7

i have seenthis problem with either saved messages or regular messages , but i have to say only once in a while , if after i do a upgrade , i go back to a old email , i mean at least 5 days or older and i open it up to read , when i close the email there is a red X. i still can go back later and read it again , or even forward it , it is weird
    BOOMER SOONER
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts

Ok, this has been driving me nuts and I can't fine a reason for it. Every time I upgrade the OS on my Storm, some of my old emails (if I go to open them again and scroll in them) will cause them to get a Red X on them with the header changing into "Cannot get more".

This is BS because the originals are still where they were in my inbox on the server so the legit reasons when this normally happens (when BIS server can't find original email) isn't the case here. This is happening on 3 different BIS/OWA account I use. So, I need some input on this problem from others.

BTW, I saw this happen a few times when updating my old 8830 to "some" but not all versions of 4.5. This has happened with ALL OS updates on the Storm and even was the case when I migrated my old emails from my 8830 to it a long time ago. Why is this happening? I even deleted and added the accounts back into BIS, didn't change behavior.

Go to the actual emails without using the BB, and mark them as unread. Then resend the service books.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

I have one (incoming) email with the red x and the error is "Couldn't send more message".

It became that way after clicking a link in the message. When it happened, I was on .75, never doing an upgrade, so that takes DM out the equation for me.

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by widdlewade View Post
    Go to the actual emails without using the BB, and mark them as unread. Then resend the service books.
    Doesn't do anything. The only way I've been able to fix this is to take all the emails I hold on to and pull them out of the inbox and put them back in, triggering BIS server to think it's new emails that it needs to send to the BB. This however ruins the date tags associated with them. The whole point behind this is that I leave read emails on my BB for important emails I need to keep a mobile copy of (so I don't have to bust out my laptop and Outlook to look up the info in them). It's just something of a personal preference, it's not like I don't read my emails. And we're also not talking a lot of emails here, but I tend to keep all my emails from a project in my inbox until that project it done, then I delete them off my BB. The issue here is more of a cosmetic one because if I mark the message as unread via my BB, the message on my Exchange mailbox changes to unread as well, so this tells me the message link for those emails is still active, but for some stupid reason the BB/BIS server throws me that "Can't Send More" for no good reason. This is something that's wacky.

To add to this, not only does the "Can't Send More Message" indication anoying, but it's also false because it will send more of the message. I think this is some crazy bug that RIM might need to fix. Others are seeing this, so it's obviously not something that's isolated. I think a lot of people to the Storm just didn't know this wasn't supposed to happen (as a user indicated above in a post). It most definitely isn't supposed to happen and since it still sends more of the message anyway, it's a false error that SHOULDN'T BE THERE.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 02-24-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

What email services are you getting the error with? Mine have always been Gmail messages. Never seen it with my MSN or Yahoo accounts.

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by paulmike3 View Post
    What email services are you getting the error with? Mine have always been Gmail messages. Never seen it with my MSN or Yahoo accounts.
    That info is in my original post. Come on silly, who do you think you're talking to here?

They are BIS/OWA accounts (MS Exchange if the OWA didn't give it away).

The clincher here is, why does it only do this with all the emails only "After an OP update?" That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Nope

It's happening to me with a Yahoo account.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

That info is in my original post. Come on silly, who do you think you're talking to here?

They are BIS/OWA accounts (MS Exchange if the OWA didn't give it away).

The clincher here is, why does it only do this with all the emails only "After an OP update?" That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
    Missed that!

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Any more input?

CX, Sith... any ideas? Can you guys maybe put a bug in someone's ear up top? Seems like an issue that shouldn't be happening.... I just don't think anyone's bothered to notice or mention it as something that's not supposed to happen.

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Guys, please take a look at the OP. I've updated it with a temp workaround to keep this from happening. It still needs to be fixed by RIM, but at least now I have some kind of pattern of how this is triggered and a workaround to keep it from happening. It's linked to the Auto Get More capabilities for email messages.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts

Ive been getting the same red x envelope, and my auto more is set to on. The strange part is I can respond to the email, and get the full text in the response.

PIN
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Quote Originally Posted by widdlewade View Post
    Ive been getting the same red x envelope, and my auto more is set to on. The strange part is I can respond to the email, and get the full text in the response.
    Yeah, I know... it's a "cosmetic" bug. It doesn't actually cause a problem because the email is always there on the server account. The issue is as described in the RED text addition to my OP in this thread. The workaround is also there if you want to use it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast