| | 10-28-09, 01:06 AM Thread Author #1
How to Shrink-A-OS
I saw a comment today that there lacks a simple guide on how to use Shrink-A-OS, so I thought I would write one up. Unfortunately, I apparently do not have access to post it to the "Storm Tips, How to" section, so I will post it here and the moderators can decide where they want it. Here goes:
Simple Step-by-Step Guide on How to use Shrink-A-OS (Windows Only, Not Mac Compatible)
1. Prior to device OS installation, back up phone data using Desktop Manager or Blackberry Swiss Army Knife
2. On your PC go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall all old and unwanted versions of “Blackberry Device Software” aka device OS software from your PC. In the following Screen shot, I am uninstalling OS 126.96.36.199
3. Even though you just uninstalled the software from your PC, sometimes the OS folder and files are not really removed. To check for this, on your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files folder and check to see if it is empty. Delete any remaining OS folder (Before installing the new OS software on your PC then the Loader Files folder should be empty). In the following screen shot I am deleting OS 188.8.131.52 from my Loader Files folder.
4. Locate on Crackberry.com a download link for the "executable" file for your desired OS. Download and run this file to install the OS on your PC. (Shrink-A-OS will not work if you try to use Blackberry's Desktop Manager). In the following screenshot I have already downloaded the OS 184.108.40.2068 "executable" file onto my PC, and I am highlighting and installing the OS software on my PC.
5. Download latest version of Shrink-A-OS to your PC and copy the Shrink-A-OS file (Link to Shrink-A-OS: http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Shrink-A-OS.exe). In the following screen shot, Shrink-A-OS 4.1 is already downloaded on my PC and I am copying the file.
6. Paste the Shrink-A-OS file in the OS folder located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS Folder (ie 9530AMEA_v220.127.116.118_P18.104.22.168) Do not paste it into the Java or CDMA subfolders. In the following screen shot, Shrink-A-OS 4.1 has been pasted into the OS folder.
7. Right Click Shrink-A-OS file in the OS folder and select “Run as Administrator”
8. Check the box that says the “Shrink-A-OS is in my Current OS folder (not in JAVA or CDMS/GPRS/UMTS)”
9. Check the boxes of the items you want removed from your OS. In the following screen shot, I have selected the items I want to remove from the OS.
10. Click the “Shrink My OS” button. In the following screen shot you can see my Shrink results of 37mb down from 84mb.
11. After the Shrink process is completed, connect your device to your PC using the USB cable
12. On your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader Folder
13. In the AppLoader folder, locate and delete the Vendor file (if this file is missing skip this step)
14. In the AppLoader folder, select the Loader.exe file to install your newly “Shrinked” OS to your phone.
PS - If you think this guide is worthy, ask the Moderators to move it to the "Storm Tips, How To" section.