Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Application memory is full

Hi, my Storm has no free space in the application memory.

The device memory lists 879MB total/862MB free. The media card 7.3GB total/7.3GB free. I would like to add some more applications.

1. Can I move something to the device media or the memory card?
    2. How can I find out the memory used by the existing apps?

Thanks.
    Storm9530

Global Posts
    24,263 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Reboot the phone and no you can not install to the memory card

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,415 Global Posts

if rebooting doesnt work try following:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/

and as mat said, u cannot install to mem card
    5.0.0.320 > 5.0.0.428 > 5.0.0.451 > 5.0.0.497 > 5.0.0.509 > 5.0.0.517
    Have questions on StormSlider/BerrySlider? StormSlider FAQs/Problems
    Have questions on UltimateLock? Ultimate Lock FAQs
    Epic Apps Beta / Support Forums
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks guys -- I deleted a movie preview which came preinstalled and got some breathing room. Also rebooted -- now I have 16 MB.

Is there a way to list apps and their memory usage?
    Storm9530
    CrackBerry Abuser

Do you have viigo installed ?

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Yep, I got viigo.
    Storm9530
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Viigo is a memory hog. if you can live without it, zap it!
    BLACKBERRY STORM WIKI
    BlackBerry 9630 - Verizon Wireless
    Go Bears!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah viigo is a known memory hog and takes anywhere between 2-6 mb of app memory depending on how many feeds you have. I recommend porting over to google reader and just downloading a shortcut. Works just as well and saves lot of memory

CrackBerry Abuser

Not to mention viigo slows down your storm BIG time

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Got it. Viigo will go. Made sure camera records to the card.
    Still wondering: can I list apps/memory?
    Last edited by koen_bro; 07-09-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typos
    Storm9530
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,488 Global Posts

You can list apps via Options >> Adavnced Options >> Applications, although it will include stock apps and apps that are vital to the phone (but you should be able to recognize the third party apps you've installed), but not their individual memory usage -- RIM doesn't provide a way to access that information. But most of the BlackBerry apps that I've seen don't really differ that much in size - almost always somewhere in the 700KB to 1.5MB range. If you're only booting up with 16MB, then more likely than anything you've just flat out got too many apps. It probably won't matter much which ones you delete, since they're all in the same size range, as long as you get the ones that are known memory leakers, but definitely delete some.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts

Instead of removing apps you use you could try removing core OS files like VAD, wallpapers, games, help, etc (if you don't use em) this frees up something like 10-15MB. Also installing Quickpull and doing a reboot when needed will keep things snappy.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 9000 (brief) > 9530 (Ugh!) & 8900 > 8220 > 8120 > 8520 > 9550
    > 9000 > 9700 9650

BB tech: Got a problem? Feel free to PM me.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I suspect the biggest chunk of memory is used by Epocrates which I need foe work. Like the idea of culling some system apps/data.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts

If you have any pictures or songs transfer to them to your memory card well.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by koen_bro View Post
    Thanks guys -- I deleted a movie preview which came preinstalled and got some breathing room. Also rebooted -- now I have 16 MB.

Is there a way to list apps and their memory usage?
    The movie preview is not stored in application memory... so really, no impact to app memory. You probably got the 16MB back after rebooting due to normal opperational overhead. By default the OS will take about 15MB or so for normal opperation and caching from what I've seen. You'll soon be at 0 again in no time.

Yet another reason why RIM shouldn't have hosed us with only 128MB of app/OS memory. What were they thinking?
    CrackBerry Genius

Welcome to the CRAP that is the RIM OS.

You have the potential to put in a 32 GB SD card and use 0 GB for applications. Really awesome isn't it?

Guess what? The new Tiger Woods Golf for the iPhone takes up 150 MB of memory. You would have no chance of installing that on your storm. The typical application for the Storm takes up a whopping 100 KB yee hawwww.

Oh well. Life goes on in the java based old world OS that we are running.

This is something that RIM is going to have to address or the ODIN will fail horribly!

Follow Me on TWITTER

Global Posts
    24,263 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by Bajanbastard View Post
    Instead of removing apps you use you could try removing core OS files like VAD, wallpapers, games, help, etc (if you don't use em) this frees up something like 10-15MB. Also installing Quickpull and doing a reboot when needed will keep things snappy.
    running shrink-a-os does not gain that much memory. **** i doubt you get 7 megs or free application memory
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
    Yet another reason why RIM shouldn't have hosed us with only 128MB of app/OS memory. What were they thinking?
    Evidently Civic, somebody at RIM still subscribes to Bill Gates original assertion "We see no reason why anyone will ever need more than 128 k of memory"
    Not BAD! Not bad at all!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    running shrink-a-os does not gain that much memory. **** i doubt you get 7 megs or free application memory
    The two cod files that control the sample wallpapers are about 5MB and 1.5MB each. That's 6.5-7MB alone. This is about all I trim myself.... manually.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want it.

Default Its a tricky deal!

I have worked with this issue since last November's release of the Storm...It seems that the Storm doesn't do well with App. memory if you have too many apps..As well, many apps. seem to cause memory to leak more than others. I only have on my Storm what I truly use on a frequent basis..I try apps to see how they will work and look on the phone, but if I don't use them, I take them off of the phone. As well, the phone will work more efficiently if you place apps in folders instead of lettling the icons exist out of a folder. Other than Meterberry, all of my apps are in folders...and it really did make a difference in available memory. As well, clear the cache in the browser frequently, clear the call log, and clear the event log frequently...and I do a battery pull at the begining of each day..At least for my Storm...the above mentioned actions have helped big time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want it.

Default Memory

As well, if you have lots of apps and have followed "trimming" them away and using folders...you can get a program that willl help recover memory..The Meterberry App. can help with that and, you can set the icon to show how much app. memory is left as well as many other options. You can clear your event log and also reset the phone from Meterberry. That way you don't have to physically pull the battery each time you want to reset. I know you have probably seen or read this info. before, but just thought in the event you have not seen it before, you have now.

Global Posts
    24,263 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer55 View Post
    As well, if you have lots of apps and have followed "trimming" them away and using folders...you can get a program that willl help recover memory..The Meterberry App. can help with that and, you can set the icon to show how much app. memory is left as well as many other options. You can clear your event log and also reset the phone from Meterberry. That way you don't have to physically pull the battery each time you want to reset. I know you have probably seen or read this info. before, but just thought in the event you have not seen it before, you have now.
    the built in memory cleaner will do that, in fact meterberry's cleaner is just calling that internal program
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Bajanbastard View Post
    What is VAD?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want it.

Default Question on Memory Management

Howarmat:
    If you have used Quicklauch...the memory cleaner is lists about 5 different areas in cleans..including Key Store...is that from the Internal Memory Cleaner as well?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want it.

Default Memory

I agree with the others in saying that Viigo is a memory hog...at the present time, it don't think it plays well with the Storm. Also, I have noticed that both Weatherberry and WeatherBug seemed to really affect the memory on my phone. If you need the weather, you can bookmark a weather site in your browser. Also, Facebook, most of the Twitter apps, and My Space will really affect the memory if they are allowed to run continuously..That being said, if you use them, then shut them completely down (including the weather programs if possible), the affect on memory useage is minimal. At least thats what I have found for my Storm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast