Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default time tracking software

I cannot believe for a business app, it is so hard to write a basic time tracking software that works. I have bought one and cannot get it to work (for 24 x 7 tech support it takes 24 hours to get a response)

Does anyone have one they use and can recommend?

There is a tracking software that looks like it can be configured to work, but cannot get a response to a sales question..

thks
    CrackBerry User

Thumbs down

I am going through the same problem I bought this thing because it is business tool that has a reputable name and all i can find for useful apps is a fart machine and a light saber. Time tracker and time logger suck and i cant seem to get biztrackit to work for more than one client. has any one found a good program yet.
    CrackBerry User

I've got Biztrackit to work, but it plus Storm data entry are a difficult to use fast compared to what I've used on a Palm for years.

I would suggest filling the fields and mailing yourself a report to better understand how to use it. That said it seems every time you check in and out you get a new line entry and I much prefer how my Palm app works.

My fingers crossed for somebody pointing out alternatives and I'll keep searching while I can return the phone.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Would somebody post some specs on what they are looking for in a time tracking app I could probably write one that works as desired.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3055EA6F

I don't know if I am looking for the same thing as the other guys but.

For my work I go lots of places in a day and have to break down my time. Have to track my arrival time, location name and address, type of work performed, millage and odometer information. I would be interested in an app that could stream line this process.

If it could save the names of the jobs and the standard list of work type performed. (my company uses 3 letter descriptions for 20 different types of work)

Then have the app have the ability to click on new then select from options and have the app time stamp automatically and provide you with prompts for all info.

It then could track the info and provide daily reports with totals.

If the above info is hard to understand please be gentle. Its late and I am exhausted. :-)

If anyone thinks they know of something that can do this I would pay $$ it would simplify my life tremendously!!

If anyone has any questions feel free to send me a pin message or PM. My Pin is in my stats.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Mack
    CrackBerry User

This would be huge. I think at a minimum it should be able to record job name/number and the number of hours (possibly time in/time out). It sounds like others might be interested in more advanced expense tracking features like mileage, etc.

There is a simple app that I found awhile back for my laptop that actually records time and writes it as an appointment to my outlook calendar. I could then go in and add note/job numbers/etc in Outlook. Would this be possible. It would be so nice to have this dump the info right into the calendar and then have it update my Outlook calendar "on the fly" so to speak.
    CrackBerry User

Default My suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGatez View Post
    Would somebody post some specs on what they are looking for in a time tracking app I could probably write one that works as desired.

My needs are simple. The Palm app I used for about 12 years was the better mouse trap because it had a conduit to the desktop, but also stood out because it kept on incident in one entry but showed the time worked within the total time. Biztrackit makes a new line or entry every time you check (click) in and out.

In my case my accounting is done in QuickBooks and I really just need a way to copy or import a description of work done and time spent.

My guess is anybody who uses an app like this would appreciate a simple field for mileage and expense. What I used for years was called TEAK (Time, Expense & Automobile Keeper). Unfortunately the author no longer answers queries (eb7.com in case anybody is curious or the author is still at it).

Thank you very much for your interest.
    CrackBerry User

I have had good luck with Pandawares TimeCache
    CrackBerry User

Thanks but that's a Mac and not hand held application.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think the feature sets you guys have mentioned seems forward enough. Continue posting anything that may be beneficial to this project. I will start work on something

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just PM Me

Don't mean to cross post. look at my post. BizTrackIt is now available for the Storm. See below

It has served me well for a long time.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bi...-storm-127976/
    CrackBerry User

That's funny. A bunch of guys and I were talking about this today. They all have iPhones and wanted the same thing. Basically all I need is a big button that logs when I press it for "in" and "out". Anyways.... that's all I really want.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Biz Track It works for tracking however I would like to be able to log in once a day and enter time without having to figure out log in and log out times.
    CrackBerry User

boilermonkey & Powdah said it in the last two posts. That's how TEAK does it, but I need a platform and software still supported.
    CrackBerry Newbie

The general feature set I'm planning for is:
    1. Simple In/Out punching from main screen
    2. Automatically calculating total time per task
    3. Entry for odometer reading on in and out
    4. Automatically fill in odometer entry with last odometer entry
    5. Assign client and job code to each task
    6. Track multiple simultaneous active tasks and select which gets a punch
    7. Save data in persistent store or SD card and export custom reports to SD
    8. Select client or job code from user defined list or add on the fly

Did I miss anything important?
    Maybe logging of client phone calls to clients account? I.e.: tech support

CrackBerry Newbie

Once all that is done maybe add the ability to export custom ascii invoices containing task info for clients for emailing or printng? I kinda like that idea i've had a need to do on the spot invoice-ing before.

CrackBerry User

Sounds great. I suggest keeping it simple and you could have a big seller if you have some integratip with QuickNess.
    CrackBerry User

FYI: I found this product. It has a template in the demo mode for time tracking app, but it doesn't respond right to my Storm input. Maybe somebody could polish that template or develop something with it?

Inform™ - Products - Skysoft Systems
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default http://xpunch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Powdah View Post
    I cannot believe for a business app, it is so hard to write a basic time tracking software that works. I have bought one and cannot get it to work (for 24 x 7 tech support it takes 24 hours to get a response)

Does anyone have one they use and can recommend?

There is a tracking software that looks like it can be configured to work, but cannot get a response to a sales question..

thks
    Keep an eye on xpunch.com - we use them and its a great time tracking application - I just wish that they had something out already for the Blackberry. They say they'll be releasing something this summer.
    CrackBerry User

Default Exgis softare on App World.

I see Exgis apps for time and expense tracking on App World, but there's not trial, and it's not obvious if the time tracking is manual entry or a start and stop clock.

Any of you have or try these apps?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just PM Me

Just found this if you want a trial

Exgis: solutions for a mobile world
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by ktollison View Post
    Just found this if you want a trial

Exgis: solutions for a mobile world
    Their sales manager gave me a reply saying the current version requires you to enter time manually, but an upgrade scheduled for summer will have a time clock.

In the meanwhile I've made queries for "time" and "billing" in App World and found more to try. One thing I noticed is no trial on App World, but the publishers have trials separately.

I guess App World leading me to some resources is better than nothing, but it seems like it has a way to go in some ways. Fingers crossed for more choices and a better product!
    CrackBerry User

Some updates now that App World is out, I've tried and found more, and I don't feel like getting to work on a Sat. AM.

Billable Goal is an interesting app that logs your activity with phone and email automatically and has a timer for the entries you put in manually. It does your entries as one line item - something unlike BizTrackIT and others and like what I'm used with my Treo. The publisher had honesty about it being a Storm app, but it seems to display fine if compatibility mode is off and you boot with it that way.

Acire Systems ReportAway is the latest I'm trying. It does not have a timer function but has output with a QuickBooks format.

I have not yet tried Exgis' products where they sell their lite versions via App World and have a trial for their subscription based product. Their sales manager reported that it does not have a timer function. I don't think I want to be giving somebody $120 a year for time software that does not time but I may still evaluate it to check out the other functions integrated in it.

I've tried the RSIC BlackBox product but at first glance the standard output is almost more than I want where my ultimate process is have simple tables and data in my accounting program.

To be continued until I find happiness with the phone and/or time and billing software as good or near as as my old Palm solution.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Skysoft has updated there app. They also have a 5 day trial. So far, it seems like a good flexible program, if not a bit on the spendy side. However it is more of a data base program than a dedicated time management program therefore justifying its cost.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

I just made an excel sheet for my wife to keep track of millage and hours for her work. sent it to her phone. She edits the sheets in sheets-to-go. She is able to input all the info and it calculates everything for her with using the formulas in excel. pretty easy that way, then again I don't know how much info other people are entering. And the best part it was free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast