Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Starry Night for BlackBerry Now Available

Carry the Sky in Your Pocket with the World’s Leading Astronomy Software

Imaginova® Corp., a leading science and technology digital media and commerce company, announced today that its Starry Night® Mobile Sky Chart can now be viewed as a web application on the iPhone and iPod touch, and downloaded onto BlackBerry mobile devices. Sky-gazers and astronomy buffs can keep up with celestial wonders no matter where their travels take them using mobile technology optimized for these popular handheld devices.

The Starry Night Mobile Sky Chart allows users to view the sky from any location on Earth at any date spanning ten years in the past and future. Observation locations are determined by entering the name of the city, a ZIP code or latitude and longitude coordinates. Star-gazers can further customize their view by panning and zooming to reveal planets and constellations, the horizon or ecliptic line and celestial sights labeled for comparative review. Images of the sky are updated every few minutes by the Starry Night Server, providing a constantly changing view of outer space.

* BlackBerry users can launch their built-in web browser and download Starry Night Mobile Sky Chart. (http://www.starrynightsupport.com/wi...tarryNight.jad) The icon will appear among other applications and different key strokes can be used to change views and time of day. Additional information can be found at: http://www.space.com/nightsky/blackberry.html.

* iPhone and iPod touch users can access the Starry Night Mobile Sky Chart via the Safari browser at http://www.starrynight.com/iPhone or Apple’s Web Application page http://www.apple.com/webapps/. Aspect ratios adjust automatically to alternate between portrait and landscape views. Additional information can be found at: http://www.space.com/nightsky/iphone.html.

The original Starry Night Widget for the desktop is available on a variety of platforms, including Mac OS X, Google and Yahoo!. The Starry Night Widget has had more than 200,000 downloads since its V1.0 release in February 2007, averages approximately 30,000 users per day and is consistently one of the top ten downloaded applications on Apple's Dashboard Widgets. In addition, lunar aficionados will find the Starry Night Moon Exploration Widget currently available on Mac OS X.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I checked this out and downloaded it my Curve (8300). First, I checked RUN after successfully download the app. It asked me if it should use my GPS. I checked yes w/o thinking I didn''t have GPS. It opened and closed with this error and gave me no other options to change settings:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.IllegalThread State Exception (OK)

I clicked the (OK), screen reverts to home screen. I try again, same problem.

I delete the application. Download it again. Do not to choose to Run it. Start it from its Icon. I don't get a chance to enable or disable the GPS selection. And get the same error.

I change the permissions from Custom to ALLOW; same issue. Deleted it again.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong or how to get this to work?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    245AC4C5

^
    I had the EXACT same problem, am hoping to stumble across a solution.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Tried downloading to PC and using DTM to load. Said it loaded OK. SAME PROBLEM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I must have just had a bad couple of days. Last night I clear my browser cache and cookies. Then waited overnight - did nothing else - and then this AM, I tried again and SN installed just fine and looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for posting the link!
    CrackBerry User

I had the same issues... I just removed it completely from my BB. I don't know if I had the time to put it back.

Discouraged
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I encourage you to keep at it. If you have deleted the program, you might try doing a complete back-up with Desktop Manager. Then confirm that Starry Nights is deleted. Then do a battery pull. Then download OTA again. Worked for me and I've had fun with the program.

Chin up and good luck!
    CrackBerry User

yeah i dunno i downloaded this on both my 8320 and my 8703e and neither one work. neither pull the LAT/LONG from the zip code and when i put it in there and hit send, i just get a white screen
    CrackBerry User

I loaded this onto my 8330 and it only works about every 5th time I launch it. I get the same white screen problem, and it never reads either the gps or the zip code. When it DOES launch past the white screen, it shows me the Toronto sky. Not what I'm looking for here in CA. Apparently, from the posts above, these same problems have existed since 2007. Seems SN has no interest in fixing this problem. Too bad - it could be very useful for aligning telescopes and just for fun.
    Last edited by gbsesquire; 08-04-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The link doesn't work for me...404 errors and an unfamiliar one containing the term CPAINT.

Weird.

Currently trying to find the widgets from Starry Night's home page.

Update: Navigating Space.com's pages from a Pearl is difficult, but with the help of my computer screen to read the links, I finally got to the right page and after refreshing it was able to access the link to the download. Can't wait to use it tonight! I usually use Heavens-Above Home Page from my computer, but having something on my blackberry which will be much handier when taking a night time walk is great!

besiderself
    Last edited by besiderself; 08-09-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: update

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point Accuracy

Sounds pretty good. Thanks for the info Kev.
    CrackBerry.com Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
    Forum Guidelines | MarketPlace Guidelines
    My Twitter | The Genesis Blog
    My Marketplace Feedback
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    As If

I downloaded and installed on my pearl but don't get no controls to zoom or pan around to view planets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

any word on if this is going to be updated for the Storm. This would be sick on full screen!

thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    DoLoL Is A βeta Blocker

This sounds cool, I will check it out!

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    PIN
    Took the pin out

Just downloaded to my phone...this is very cool!
    It's five o'clock somewhere....
    CrackBerry Master

I've used Starry Night on my computer for years... I have a cheap (well $400) 6" reflector the kids and I use to watch Jupiter and saturn and such.. they love it!

I don't have one yet... but will it work on the Storm?
    It could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    CrackBerry Master

Has anyone gotten this to work on the storm? I can't get it to go past the set up menu which it doesn't draw completely. Also, you can't press the enter key on anything but the zip code...
    It could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Downloaded and installed with no problems. Left settings as they were with exception of disabling compatibility mode.

Thanks

n00bIEwaN
    Verizon Network
    9350 BlackBerry Storm #1 4.7.0.75 to 4.7.0.109
    9350 BlackBerry Storm #2 4.7.0.75 to 4.7.0.109

Thanks to this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."
    --W.Durant
    CrackBerry Master

I have been using MicroSky for star gazing and constellation hunting. Starry Night has downloaded perfectly and looks like a cool app for the novice. I'll play around with it and see how it goes but on the surface it seems kind of basic.

CrackBerry Master

Compatibility mode was the key. It works now. Thanks!

CrackBerry Abuser

Can't get it passed the postal code settings on my bold. Anyone got this working?

CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM

works great on my 8350i
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

looks like it installed ok. Too bad it doesn't use GPS on the Bold.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask me!

wow I actually have to use this for my Astronomy class! Too bad it cant substitute for my pc version for my experiments!
    "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. "
    -Albert Einstein

Currently running OS 5.0.230
    CrackBerry Newbie

Every time I go to the .jad location on the first post in this thread, I get an error that it is not found. Has the link been changed or do I need to change my brower setting on my Storm to get to it?

thanks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast