Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Looking for an RSS reader?

RE-EDIT: Please don't tell me to do a search; I already searched. I don't care about what Bold, Curve etc. users have.

I downloaded FreeRange, but it does not appear to work full-screen? I can't seem to get the darn keypad off the bottom of the screen? Also doesn't appear to work in landscape mode?

I've heard of Viigo, but have also heard that it's quite a memory hog, yet also others say that they like it, so maybe I'll have to try it.

Just looking to see what some good options are. No sense asking a Curve user if FreeRange does full screen, and I don't really care how it works on their phones.
    Last edited by Dave88LX; 01-01-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixing moderator's spelling.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

Sounds like FreeRange is running in compatibility mode on your Storm.

Options > Advanced Options > Applications > FreeRange > BB menu key - Disable Compatibility Mode
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Viigo has been a great program for me. Had it on my 8130 and now on my Storm. Only issue I have seen is the screen hangs half way when I hit the back button. All I need to do is assist it to finish moving by flicking the screen. Not real sure on the memory hog part.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Viigo has been a great program for me. Had it on my 8130 and now on my Storm. Only issue I have seen is the screen hangs half way when I hit the back button. All I need to do is assist it to finish moving by flicking the screen. Not real sure on the memory hog part.
    the hanging on a screen is a KNOWN bug. you can either tap the screen when it hangs, or just hold the back button a tad longer and it'll go back just fine.

as for memory hog, you have to keep in mind that it is still in beta. but other than that viigo is your best bet when it comes to a fully compatible rss reader for the storm.

but a search would've gotten you this information too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by lastelement0 View Post
    the hanging on a screen is a KNOWN bug. you can either tap the screen when it hangs, or just hold the back button a tad longer and it'll go back just fine.

as for memory hog, you have to keep in mind that it is still in beta. but other than that viigo is your best bet when it comes to a fully compatible rss reader for the storm.

but a search would've gotten you this information too.
    *ahem* I did do a search but came up with lots of irrelevant info about other phones etc. So I posted this multipart question.

I will check out viigo too thanks. Didn't know if something simple was out and full screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,995 Global Posts

Viigo FTW
    No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
    CrackBerry User

I use Viigo. To keep it from being a memory hog just make sure to close it completely when not using it. The more feeds you have the long it takes to update them all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Oh I see. I don't need a whole lot of feeds. Mainly just my Patriots RSS updates, and a couple other things.

I did check that compatibility mode mentioned above for FreeRange, but it didn't seem to change anything. Any of you that use FreeRange have the same issue? Or does it work landscape or without the keypad?
    Last edited by Dave88LX; 01-01-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    PIN
    3048984c

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    I downloaded FreeRange, but it does not appear to work full-screen? I can't seem to get the darn keypad off the bottom of the screen? Also doesn't appear to work in landscape mode?
    A little birdie told me that an updated FreeRange is in the works.
    CrackBerry User

I would love to see some of the iPhone apps ported over to the Storm

Byline would be great or something similar that can do a 2 way sync. I like Viigo but find the text a little on the small side unless im missing a setting to enlarge the text. It would also be nice to be arrange the feeds.

Hopefully we will see a lot more apps in the future. Its still early days for the Storm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

I installed Viigo, so far it's pretty cool. I agree about arranging the feeds, I'd like to be able to move them around, maybe there's a way I just don't know about yet. It gets stuck when you hit back, but I read on here that's known so I just tap the screen an extra time. I understand it's still beta. Still going to play some more around.

Now, do audio/video RSS feeds work as well? Or only text?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    PIN
    3048984c

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
    I installed Viigo, so far it's pretty cool. I agree about arranging the feeds, I'd like to be able to move them around, maybe there's a way I just don't know about yet. It gets stuck when you hit back, but I read on here that's known so I just tap the screen an extra time. I understand it's still beta. Still going to play some more around.

Now, do audio/video RSS feeds work as well? Or only text?
    Viigo? Only text.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts

Viigo has been troublesome on my Storm, always takes a while to update and I only have 4 feeds and 10 articles per feed. Man if ANYONE knows an alternative to Viigo for simple RSS feeds (4 or 5 tech feeds, use AP Mobile for other news) I would love it.
    Mark
    I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation dont have maps and I believe that our education like such as in a South Africa and Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the US should help the US or should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for our children. - Miss Teen South Carolina
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    A little birdie told me that an updated FreeRange is in the works.
    This would be awsome. I really miss the flawless app that I had on my 8900...
    Do you have any news when the release is planned (maybe you could ask this little birdie??)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04 View Post
    Viigo has been troublesome on my Storm, always takes a while to update and I only have 4 feeds and 10 articles per feed. Man if ANYONE knows an alternative to Viigo for simple RSS feeds (4 or 5 tech feeds, use AP Mobile for other news) I would love it.
    I would recommend either the forbes or zdnet app. Both seem to be developed by the same people, as the interfaces are strikingly similar. Both have a tab that allows u to add feeds. I have all of mine on zd but I use both apps. Btw, both are free and are actual apps not launchers.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA

RSIC Reader...App World...2.99...Do it
    Blackberry Pearl -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Storm! .75 -> .151 -> 5.0.0.230 Hybrid Deal
    CrackBerry Master

WSJ (Wall Street Journal) Mobile Reader can be used as a RSS reader, in addition to regular WSJ news.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM or email first

Got rid of Viigo and now I use the Google reader exclusively.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ltrtiger View Post
    Got rid of Viigo and now I use the Google reader exclusively.
    As did I. I really wish google would make a reader app for the storm. I mean, most of the work is already done; they could base the code off of the gmail app. Instead of an inbox, it would be each feed, and instead of conversations for a multi-message conversation, each article would be minimized other than the one currently being read. ****, they could even throw in reader within the gmail app.

If this does not happen, then I hope that viigo will develop 2-way sync.

If that does not happen, then I hope newsgator go will eventually be developed for the storm.

The way things have been going for the storm, however, I'll probably just be using the google reader mobile site until january when I switch phones.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM or email first

Quote Originally Posted by jostrat21 View Post
    As did I. I really wish google would make a reader app for the storm. I mean, most of the work is already done; they could base the code off of the gmail app. Instead of an inbox, it would be each feed, and instead of conversations for a multi-message conversation, each article would be minimized other than the one currently being read. ****, they could even throw in reader within the gmail app.

If this does not happen, then I hope that viigo will develop 2-way sync.

If that does not happen, then I hope newsgator go will eventually be developed for the storm.

The way things have been going for the storm, however, I'll probably just be using the google reader mobile site until january when I switch phones.
    As much as I hate to consider the possibility, I suspect our freebies with Google will come to an end. They're going for a new computer OS and I suspect it will be highly anticipated and well received. They seem to have the golden touch. Most of their mobile bundle will likely go subscription or buy a license to use as well. They will become the next MS IMO. Can't stand to think of that day. Love everything Google. Dependent upon them to a great degree. Just have this feeling from all I've read that a change is coming.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    PIN
    3105B458
    Last edited by rrife; 07-08-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixed url.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ltrtiger View Post
    As much as I hate to consider the possibility, I suspect our freebies with Google will come to an end. They're going for a new computer OS and I suspect it will be highly anticipated and well received. They seem to have the golden touch. Most of their mobile bundle will likely go subscription or buy a license to use as well. They will become the next MS IMO. Can't stand to think of that day. Love everything Google. Dependent upon them to a great degree. Just have this feeling from all I've read that a change is coming.
    I agree with you. First it was android and now they are looking to roll out a netbook OS by mid-2010. That being said, I hope they don't stray too far away from their original business model, which is what gained them such notoriety in the first place.

They do continue to develop apps for the iphone, though (I believe there's a google reader app). Everyone knows how successful the iphone has been and that it is here to stay. The storm's future is still questionable. Will the storm 2 have surepress or not? I think that until developers have a better idea of what the future holds for touchscreen blackberrys, they are hesitant to take the time to code specifically for it. Who knows...
    Last edited by jostrat21; 07-08-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thirdeye7 View Post
    I would recommend either the forbes or zdnet app. Both seem to be developed by the same people, as the interfaces are strikingly similar. Both have a tab that allows u to add feeds. I have all of mine on zd but I use both apps. Btw, both are free and are actual apps not launchers.

I tried the ZDNet one and while it is pretty nice it is no good for me because it combines the articles from all your personal feeds into one section. I need to be able to break it up so each feed has it's own section. Still Viigo for me...

-Greg
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    THE TAIL ON THE DONKEY

Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04 View Post
    Ditto I think Viigo sucks.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

I used WM devices before coming to the Storm and I <really> liked NewsReader, which was an excellent RSS reader from Ilium Software. Once I came to the world of BB, I tried all the various RSS choices (Viigo and the others) and nothing did it for me. Tried and used the AP app, the WSJ app, ZDNet - all those, and didn't love them either. Either too memory heavy or clunky to navigate or something.

Now thought, I think I've found my perfect fix for quick news bites (you know it - get ready - yes I'm talking about) Twitter.

My use of Twitter has completely replaced all other news sources, feeds, etc. I just follow every single tech blog and news outlet on Twitter (using Uber right now, waiting for TweetGenius to finish their Storm version or maybe also Tweetev) and no more do I feel like I need an RSS reader.

I just bet Twitter will end up making RSS feeds obsolete.....my prediction....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast