CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Doctors/Nurses with Storms

Hi all health care Storm users! ePocrates is now avaialbe for Storm users. Here are the directions for downloads from ePocrates support.

I understand that you would like to install Epocrates onto your BlackBerry Storm. Epocrates can be installed to a BlackBerry Storm or Thunder device in one of three ways.

A. Direct Wireless Install to the BlackBerry using WiFi or your carrier's cellular network

1. Open the web browser on your BlackBerry.
    2. Enter the following web address in the address bar (above the search bar) in your BlackBerry's browser.

Install Epocrates

Note that the prefix "www." is NOT part of this web address.

3. Select the "Install Now" button on-screen.
    4. Follow the instructions that are displayed on the BlackBerry.
    5. At the AutoUpdate screen, enter your Epocrates username and password, and select the "Continue Installation" button.

B. Email Message Install

1. Visit the Epocrates Rx product page, and click the "Download" button.
    2. Below the heading "Available for the following platforms," select BlackBerry.
    3. Click the "Free Download" button
    4. Sign in with your Epocrates username, if needed.
    5. Click "Continue" at the Configure page.
    6. At the "Wireless Install" page, click the "Email" link under the "Other Options" heading.
    7. Confirm or enter an email address that is to receive the install link, and click the "Submit" button.
    8. Open the email on your BlackBerry, and select the link therein to begin the install process.
    9. At the AutoUpdate screen, enter your Epocrates username and password, and select the "Continue Installation" button.

C. SMS Message Install

1. Visit the Epocrates Rx product page, and click the "Download" button.
    2. Below the heading "Available for the following platforms," select BlackBerry.
    3. Click the "Free Download" button
    4. Sign in with your Epocrates username, if needed.
    5. Click "Continue" at the Configure page.6. At the "Wireless Install" page, click the "SMS" link under the "Other Options" heading.
    7. Enter the phone number of your BlackBerry device and click the "Submit" button.
    8. Open the SMS message on your BlackBerry, and select the link therein to begin the install process.
    9. At the AutoUpdate screen, enter your Epocrates username and password, and select the "Continue Installation" button.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching"-Yogi Berra
    20th century philosopher
    Words to live by:
    Leave the gun, take the cannoli!
    StarTac 75>StarTac 150 (salt water kill)>LG8000>Treo 650p (bricked)>Treo 700p>Storm 9350(5.0.0.328)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

OOPS. should this be in 3rd Party apps??? sorry.
    20th century philosopher
    Words to live by:
    StarTac 75>StarTac 150 (salt water kill)>LG8000>Treo 650p (bricked)>Treo 700p>Storm 9350(5.0.0.328)
    CrackBerry User

Thanks! This should be great. I am installing it now. Says it takes 60 minutes??? How long did it actually take you? I also hope that it is as good as Epocrates for the iPhone!
    Joined VZW in 2002 = LG VX6000 > LG v60p > LG VX8100 > LG VX8300 > Treo 700W > Back to LG VX8300 > Storm 9530 > Storm 2 9550 ... And Loving It!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Medic3136 View Post
    Thanks! This should be great. I am installing it now. Says it takes 60 minutes??? How long did it actually take you? I also hope that it is as good as Epocrates for the iPhone!
    haven't had a chance to load it yet. Just got the email from ePocrates support this AM and rushed it to CB STAT.
    20th century philosopher
    Words to live by:
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA

Took me about thirty min because of the auto update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Yup, 25 minutes for me too. Pill ID is slower than on my co-worker's iPhone but it comes up after 4-6 seconds. Great feature since I work in the ED.
    CrackBerry User

Just loaded mine onto my phone via the BB browser. Took about 30 mins and I'm happy with it so far. Little tough selecting boxes because they are small and you have the touch screen though. I used this program before on my Palm Treo and I like the BB Storm version better.
    Joined VZW in 2002 = LG VX6000 > LG v60p > LG VX8100 > LG VX8300 > Treo 700W > Back to LG VX8300 > Storm 9530 > Storm 2 9550 ... And Loving It!
    CrackBerry Genius

I've read you can't close the application....is this true?, and if so, does it slow down your Storm?
    Thanks in advance!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've had epocrates installed since it officially came out on storm and have not noticed any slow downs. Yes, it does run in the background, and you can't close it, and when I checked my memory today for the first time, i had 14.8mb, but no slow down I could appreciate. So I'm going to wait before I see any slow downs, before using quickpull. So far, I love it.

My only issue with epocrates so far, is that in the portrain view, you can only use the multi-touch keyboard which does slow me down in terms of geting the information I need. Is there a way to use suretype??? Otherwise I can always switch to landscape view, and use the full keyboard.
    CrackBerry Master

I've had this on several BB's and it always takes 30-6o minutes to fully download. ePocrates has a lot of calculators, but try QXMD too.. (QxMD.com) Don't think they have anything for the storm.

Some ePocrates input issues are theme specific. I had to get a vendor to fix a problem I had with their theme and ePOcrates.

Good Luck!... makes my impending doom.. erm I mean.. probability of getting the storm even more likely.
    It could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    DoLoL Is A βeta Blocker

Epocrates is a great program...I like it very much. Very helpful in the Pharmacy profession with drug interactions, etc.
    We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.
    Blackberry 101: Lecture Series|Memory Optimization|How To Recover A Dead Blackberry|Posting Rules|How to Search Forums
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    PIN
    A COLADA

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPA View Post
    My only issue with epocrates so far, is that in the portrain view, you can only use the multi-touch keyboard which does slow me down in terms of geting the information I need. Is there a way to use suretype??? Otherwise I can always switch to landscape view, and use the full keyboard.
    i have OS .90 so i use the portrait qwerty
    CrackBerry User

thanks for the info, fcortese! installing right now.
    CrackBerry User

I installed today and it only took about 20-25 minutes to install. Sounds like a long time for app installation until you take into account it estimates it at around an hour.
    The program works really well with the Storm. Things move relatively quickly, and those that don't I'm sure will be addressed in some sort of upgrade. The biggest problem with this right now is the fact that it cannot be closed. Unlike a previous poster I noticed significant decreases in overall phone performance. Phone keyboard took a few seconds to come up, things were not fading out smoothly or quickly - things along that nature.
    As was mentioned, it is a major memory hog. Don't expect to be running too many other applications alongside this.
    Unfortunately I have a few other essential applications (or I should say essential for me) which are constantly running, so ePocrates really is not an option for me at this point.

With that said, I will definitely be downloading this when they update it and include a "close" feature.

Just my 2 cents.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtronics View Post
    I installed today and it only took about 20-25 minutes to install. Sounds like a long time for app installation until you take into account it estimates it at around an hour.
    The program works really well with the Storm. Things move relatively quickly, and those that don't I'm sure will be addressed in some sort of upgrade. The biggest problem with this right now is the fact that it cannot be closed. Unlike a previous poster I noticed significant decreases in overall phone performance. Phone keyboard took a few seconds to come up, things were not fading out smoothly or quickly - things along that nature.
    As was mentioned, it is a major memory hog. Don't expect to be running too many other applications alongside this.
    Unfortunately I have a few other essential applications (or I should say essential for me) which are constantly running, so ePocrates really is not an option for me at this point.

With that said, I will definitely be downloading this when they update it and include a "close" feature.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks...your informative post helped me make my decision. I, too, am going to wait.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Free Pro?

The epocrates website does say you can get epocrates rx pro free if you get a new blackberry...anyone know if this applies to the storm or new storm buyers (since epocrates didn't work for it when we bought it new)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Sedientokid11 View Post
    The epocrates website does say you can get epocrates rx pro free if you get a new blackberry...anyone know if this applies to the storm or new storm buyers (since epocrates didn't work for it when we bought it new)
    I see the option to download the epcrates rx but it says you must pay $60 for the pro version. Where do you see that you get pro for free?

ERR I figured it out...stand by for a small write up
    Last edited by koojo; 01-26-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 - v.5.0.328
    CrackBerry Abuser

I was able to get Epocrates RX Pro. Here is how.

Go to this website: https://www.blackberry.com/HealthCareOffer/index.do

Terms and Conditions state that in order to qualify for this offer, you need to have bought the Storm no more than 14 days ago. So, when it asks you for you Date Purchased on the above website, put in a date that's about 10 days or so ago.

Fill in the rest of the info. When it's asking your for the "First new BlackBerry® smartphone IMEI or ESN(dec)", go into Options -> Status, and type in the 18 or so digit MEID (dec) number (no spaces).

Once you're all done filling out the info on that page, click the Submit button. If all is good, you should be given an access code. Use this access code to 'purchase' the pro version of Rx online.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FREE VERSION OF EPOCRATES INSTALLED ON YOUR PHONE, YOU DON'T NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE WHOLE THING AGAIN. All you simply have to do is go into epocrates software on your phone and run the AutoUpdate (it will take about 15 min). After this, you will have access to the infectious disease section.

If you don't already have the free rx software on your phone, you will need download it. Use the istructions that they give you when you make an account/'purchase' the rx pro version.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 - v.5.0.328
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    PIN
    T

Quote Originally Posted by koojo View Post
    I was able to get Epocrates RX Pro. Here is how.

Go to this website: https://www.blackberry.com/HealthCareOffer/index.do

Terms and Conditions state that in order to qualify for this offer, you need to have bought the Storm no more than 14 days ago. So, when it asks you for you Date Purchased on the above website, put in a date that's about 10 days or so ago.

Fill in the rest of the info. When it's asking your for the "First new BlackBerry® smartphone IMEI or ESN(dec)", go into Options -> Status, and type in the 18 or so digit MEID (dec) number (no spaces).

Once you're all done filling out the info on that page, click the Submit button. If all is good, you should be given an access code. Use this access code to 'purchase' the pro version of Rx online.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FREE VERSION OF EPOCRATES INSTALLED ON YOUR PHONE, YOU DON'T NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE WHOLE THING AGAIN. All you simply have to do is go into epocrates software on your phone and run the AutoUpdate (it will take about 15 min). After this, you will have access to the infectious disease section.

If you don't already have the free rx software on your phone, you will need download it. Use the istructions that they give you when you make an account/'purchase' the rx pro version.
    Cool thanks! Was able to snag the pro version for free as well.
    CrackBerry User

yes epocrates is out for the storm, but its not specifically made for the storms OS, i mean the screen you view is smaller than the pearl, the scrolling sucks for the time being, not to mention memory leak and constantly on....best bet is use pharmacopia or another epocrates until a "storm combatible" version really comes out

fyi, i have had 3 other blackberries with epocrates and have the itouch and the storm has the worst experience out of the 3 so far
    CrackBerry User

Koojo: Thanks for the recs on how to get the pro version... worked beautifully.

Everyone else: I would at least give it a try. I find it pretty user friendly. The storm updated one seems to scroll well. Epocrates makes full use of the storm screen (is it possible that shahjige has it running in compatibility mode?, important to make sure it is disabled). I have had it running for the past week or so and don't think it slows down the storm. i do a quickpull daily and am running .90 os. i admittedly don't have much running in the background and make an effort to close all apps after I'm done. Other people though do seem to experience memory leaks with it. Another strange thing with these devices.

I put a few screen caps in the medical storm forum.
    Last edited by blondarb; 01-27-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    CrackBerry User

Epocrates is out for the Storm. Used it succesfuly even before the Storm came out. The Storm is my first BB and I received Epocrates Pro for free. It took me to a BB site and would not take my PIN. I emailed Epocrates twice and the emailed me a code for download. It is worth it and it does not slow it down.
    CrackBerry Newbie

im not sure if its ever gonna be able to close. i had it on my pearl and curve and was unable to close it then. ive been using the pearl version on the storm since for 2 months now and have been eagerly awaiting the official version. just my 2 cents
    CrackBerry Newbie

i just downloaded it and its the same version that i transferred from my pearl onto the storm in Nov. Is everyone else's scrolling weird like the when your in cursor mode on the internet or does mine just keep downloading the pearl version? thanks
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Anyone have any idea when Epocrates Essentials Deluxe will be available for storm?
    "The lips of the wise spread knowledge, but the hearts of fools are not so."
    Proverbs 15:7

-Ben Schrock EMT-B, PA-S
    "If you fib, I will shock you"