Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb Configure Gmail for IMAP on Storm

1. In your Gmail account: Goto Settings then Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Disable POP and enable IMAP. Save Changes.
    2. With your Storm's Browser goto Verizon's BIS site: BlackBerry Internet Service (Storm's Browser is used, to bypass having to manually login to BIS site)
    3. If you already have your Gmail account setup in BIS, delete it now.
    4. Click on Add An Email Account.
    5. Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Click Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [username@gmail.com].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
    8. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [username@gmail.com] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    9. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    10. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    11. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    12. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
    13. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
    14. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    15. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:
    1. Open the mailbox icon.
    2. Open the menu by pressing the BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    3. Select Email Reconciliation.
    4. Confirm the following settings:
      Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
      Wireless Reconcile: On
      On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    5. Select Save.

If you prefer not to receive Delivery Confirmations in your Gmail account:
    1. Open the mailbox icon.
    2. Open the menu by pressing the BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    3. Select Email Settings.
    4. Change Confirm Delivery to No.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

I said not to post this. This is now a waste, you copied information that was already in one thread.http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/gma...search-109103/ and put it here. For what purpose? If someone wants this information they can do a search.
    Most people think going from a Storm to a Curve is a downgrade... but in reality going from a Storm to anything is an UPGRADE!!!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Very redundant... http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=7110523 you have made the count go from 48 to 49
    Most people think going from a Storm to a Curve is a downgrade... but in reality going from a Storm to anything is an UPGRADE!!!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Im sorry, this forum has a lot of redundant stuff on it. I know you are trying to help, but the truth is that this will get burried fast. And when that happens the only real way to find it will to be a search and there are already 48 other threads about this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Very true , I do understand that it can be confusing.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm not too great with really specifics of email would changing to imap do anything to my existing email stuff or the emails I have another account forward to my gmail account

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

it took me forever to find those other posts, this being labeled could be easier to search and find

I don't blame reposting this one
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FE229D

I've followed these steps precisely, and I get an error during email account validation after re-entering my info 3 times. Then it email address configures, and I get an activation email. WTF
    Last edited by ls1norcal; 12-05-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

And imap will still suck on b berry compared to iphones

CrackBerry Master

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Scungi View Post
    it took me forever to find those other posts, this being labeled could be easier to search and find

I don't blame reposting this one
    Really? I typed in "Gmail IMAP" and got it instantly.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    25793D7D

This is good info. I thought that you had to use the GMail application for email on the blackberry. I thought there was some reason that you couldn't use imap. With that being said now maybe i can cancel my exchange account and start using google apps.
    CrackBerry User

So does following these instructions actually fix the fact that imap gmail.doesn't sync your read items with unread on gmail? Cuz if it doesn't, tjeres absolutely no point having gmail as imap, since both imap and pop push emails immediately and sync deletes as well.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clover86 View Post
    If you knew that is what you were looking for, yeah Gmail IMAP you will find......but many new people to blackberry and on here, and to even know what IMAP is, thats a different story.

When I was searching I was trying to figure my contacts and calendar sync for google, and I did the tradition email setup wizard, why not right? I am not a techie by any means of know any differences, I found the IMAP phenomenon by luck tried it and it seemed to cure my Sync, is it related? I dunno, but it works with IMAP now.......I did so many different things, I am not sure if that was the cure

Regardless, it is easier to find with it just labeled this way, because now when you search you get what you are looking for, instead of reading through a bunch of mindless threads to find it
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    573 Global Posts
    PIN
    request it

How hard it is to figure out to put the word "GMAIL" and the work "IMAP" into a search box?

Dont enable people to not learn how to search. Enable people to use the search function. It makes for a lot of positive learning and it also shows everyone the PC way to get to things.

Does there really need to be so many threads about the same thing? Seriously one thread with all information on it and with all replies makes it much easier to find everything.

This is my personal opinion and it works very well.

My old job I setup a sharepoint server and moved every bit of information to it from DOCS to Guides to set something up. Then everytime somebody asked how to do something I pointed them to the sharepoint address and told them to search for it.

Helpdesk tickets went down over 85% and things moved along a lot faster and smoother.

Same thing could be done or something along those lines.
    We the unwilling led by the unqualified for so long with so little we now attempt the impossible with nothing.

Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by observing its prisoners." Dostevsky said that... after doin' a little time.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

trust me I want people to search, but when you search "gmail" and "IMAP" threads about other things come up, not labeled correctly, its a pain in the *** to read non-sense that doesn't effect what you are looking for a trying to do, now with this one it comes up, most likely what you are looking to do, let it get lost on the board, who cares, but it will make for a more effective search for the next guy searching
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    971 Global Posts

Why dont you guys just use the GMail App? it works perfectly for me on my storm
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by ainvar View Post
    How hard it is to figure out to put the word "GMAIL" and the work "IMAP" into a search box?

Dont enable people to not learn how to search. Enable people to use the search function. It makes for a lot of positive learning and it also shows everyone the PC way to get to things.

Does there really need to be so many threads about the same thing? Seriously one thread with all information on it and with all replies makes it much easier to find everything.

This is my personal opinion and it works very well.

My old job I setup a sharepoint server and moved every bit of information to it from DOCS to Guides to set something up. Then everytime somebody asked how to do something I pointed them to the sharepoint address and told them to search for it.

Helpdesk tickets went down over 85% and things moved along a lot faster and smoother.

Same thing could be done or something along those lines.
    Typing that in is almost as easy as typing in "BlTCHlNG" and your post coming up
    Treo 650/750> HTC Tilt> Moto Q9c> Samsung Blackjack> BB 8100> BB 8310> iPhone 2g> iPhone 3g> LG Incite(sucks)> HTC Fuze(sucks)> BB Bold> BB Storm
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    - what I used to have with a bb

Do I have to setup these settings? I never did on my other blackberries and also I simply set it up on my regular email account and it seems to work just fine.

Why would I need to use this? Can someone explain? Or was this prior to .75?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Clover86 View Post
    You have a ton of great info for sure. BUT sometimes we forget where we came from. We want Blackberry to grow and not be the snotty snobs I see over at BGR. I know this was an old post but I certainly found this gmail help with my first search. No insults intended toward you in any way, but come on sometimes I think we take things to serious and again we forget WE we're once new to blackberry and posting.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FE229D

Quote Originally Posted by gnr-met View Post
    Do I have to setup these settings? I never did on my other blackberries and also I simply set it up on my regular email account and it seems to work just fine.

Why would I need to use this? Can someone explain? Or was this prior to .75?
    If you want to use IMAP, then you must configure it manually, yes. When you go through the setup wizard, and just put your email address/password, and it magically configures, it is using POP which is fine. IMAP has some added benefits though.
    CrackBerry User

Thank you so much! This will solve some major headaches! Cheers on the post!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Thanks for putting this in all one place!
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1ty44 View Post
    So does following these instructions actually fix the fact that imap gmail.doesn't sync your read items with unread on gmail? Cuz if it doesn't, tjeres absolutely no point having gmail as imap, since both imap and pop push emails immediately and sync deletes as well.

Yes, does this REALLY fix the read/unread problem?

I think the OP should post this, because as he said the thread titles always suck.

It isn't worth drifting through pages of "OMG GMAIL WONT WORK FRUSTRATING"
    CrackBerry User

Thumbs up

you people need to chill out!
    thanks for the post!
    ill rate this 5 stars
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Does anyone know how to setup IMAP for gmail?
    8830 -> 8130 -> 8330 -> 8130 -> 9530
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast