CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    PIN
    3041444a
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Warranties and OS Shenanigans

I have to replace my phone due to some "damage" it incurred. I want to know if having an unofficial OS (4.5) will affect this process.

Will they deny me the device coverage I pay 7 bucks a month for because I have a newer OS? Will they even check?

Should I load the office Sprint OS on the phone and then turn it in for replacement?

Does anyone have experience with this very thing.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,823 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask!

Yeah! You might want to reload the official OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Banned

PIN
    EAPPLES with a dash of black pepper are scrumptious.

Quote Originally Posted by pmjohnson99 View Post
    I have to replace my phone due to some "damage" it incurred. I want to know if having an unofficial OS (4.5) will affect this process.

Will they deny me the device coverage I pay 7 bucks a month for because I have a newer OS? Will they even check?

Should I load the office Sprint OS on the phone and then turn it in for replacement?

Does anyone have experience with this very thing.
    pm, what's up buddy...long time no communicate with you/seen you on the boards. Btw, this is the user formerly known as 'hydroblack'. You're the one with an Audi too right? Just making sure.

What kind of damage do the "'s imply? I have the total equipment replacement plan ($7/month) as well; and I had an internal problem w/ my Curve where it wouldnt charge. So after I sent in my old phone into Asurion (Sprin't insurance provider)...they sent out a new Curve within 4 days. But anyways to address your question; and from what I know...they don't care about all that. They simply ask what the problem w/ the phone is; and I remember them specifically asking if there was any water damage done to the phone or not. Apparently they're real big on whether the malfunction/damage is water-related or not.

Btw, just as your PIN says that it never hurts to ask; well in this case...I suppose it never hurts to re-OS to the original version . Then again, hopefully your Curve isnt incapicitated to the point where you can't even go into to it to re-install the original OS.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 08-06-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Global Posts
    10,251 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by srplummer View Post
    Yeah! You might want to reload the official OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I'm sure if they really wanted to know, Sprint could find out. Regardless, I still agree with srplummer. Put the original OS back on your berry.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,130 Global Posts

Better safe than sorry - I would load the original OS back on too. What harm can it do at this point?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,995 Global Posts

Reload the official carrier OS before sending in. Even then, there is a chance that they can trace old Beta OSes

You should be fine, but who knows!
    No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    PIN
    3067e473

It matters if the "damage" is OS related as far as if you put a new OS and it bricked your phone, I know those are grounds to void your warranty but I am not sure if that would void any additional insurance you have purchased. Safe way to go is as everyone said and that is to just reload an official OS.
    OS 5.0.0.871

Follow Me
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,823 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask!

Very Nice, Bmcclure!

Global Posts
    10,251 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

LMAO - Funny as h*ll - especially if you remember the movie and the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post

Reload the official carrier OS before sending in. Even then, there is a chance that they can trace old Beta OSes

You should be fine, but who knows!
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,995 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklatino View Post
    LMAO - Funny as h*ll - especially if you remember the movie and the scene.
    Yeah, definitely hahaha... great movie
    No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    PIN
    3041444a
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

By "damages" I simply mean that (and I posted this here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/add...-iphone-56024/ ) after some serious dirt incursion on my phone I took it apart to clean it. Doing so killed my trackball. I have paid to replace the trackball as I felt I should since taking the phone apart was a risky venture. But what I have noticed now is that my earphone jack does not work anymore, probably due to the stone that was lodged then dislodged from it. Also call audio from the earpiece speaker is very buzzy probably due to too much dust in the system.

So taking the phone back for replacement under my $7 a month thing is basically what I should have done in the very beginning. I did, however, gain a whole mess of experience on how to (and how not to) take a phone apart, how to replace (and how not to replace) a trackball. And good place to order a trackball for about $6.99 plus shipping (PM if you want info).

So the whole endeavor was worth the headache...to a degree.

P.S. Super Troopers: GREATEST MOVIE EVER!...about Vermont State Troopers
    Last edited by pmjohnson99; 08-06-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are.