Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Should I switch to Sprint?

Question for all of you Sprint subscribers. I am currently on T-mobile with the BB 9700. It is an incredible phone mired on a spotty 3G network. I like many aspects of T-mobile including their no contracts, cheaper plans, convenience of swapping SIM however the dropped calls and constant switching from 3G to EDGE for data and intermittent loss of all phone service to SOS Only is frustrating! The dropped calls I know have nothing to do with the 3G but I think it only demonstrates the weakness of the bands and signal overall. I have had ATT in the past and never lost signal ever when inside a building. I am in the middle of Kansas City with Sprint World Headquarters only minutes away. What kind of coverage do you all have not just in midwest but all over? I know that is a broad question but just wondering if any other former T-mo subscribers out there who made the switch and are happy. I am asking because a friend of mine is a Sprint employee and can get me a killer deal and just wanna know if it would be worth it. Thanks in advance to all of you who respond.

BTW probably going to go with the Tour or Tour 2 when it drops if I do switch.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

i have the same question. i have AT&T now and was thinking of switching to Sprint for their plans when the Tour 2 comes out.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,130 Global Posts

honestly your best bet is to look at our coverage map and see if they have coverage where you need it most.
    work,home, travels
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    honestly your best bet is to look at our coverage map and see if they have coverage where you need it most.
    work,home, travels
    I agree. Although if after that and Sprint has you covered then you really cant go wrong price wise.

Global Posts
    17,212 Global Posts

Problem is all the carrier coverage maps are pretty deceiving, unless they show that you would get basically no signal.

In other words, no signal shown is usually an indicator of something. But good signal shown is usually an indicator of nothing...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,668 Global Posts
    PIN
    The Dog Ate It

I've traveled our country extensively, Montana, Wyoming, Texas, NJ, NY, CA, FL, AZ, NV, NM, LA, GA, MN, IL, PA, Mexico and Canada and I've never experienced lack of coverage with voice. There were areas on remote freeways driving from CA to FL that I lacked data coverage.

In 10 years with Sprint I've been satisfied and can't imagine going to another carrier when Sprint service has been superb.

You best bet is to look at coverage and from there select the carrier that meets your needs in price and equipment.
    Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

There, Their, and They're are not interchangeable. Come on people learn the difference among the 3.

Oh and While I'm at it "alot" is not a word!

Global Posts
    6,130 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ERDude View Post
    I've traveled our country extensively, Montana, Wyoming, Texas, NJ, NY, CA, FL, AZ, NV, NM, LA, GA, MN, IL, PA, Mexico and Canada and I've never experienced lack of coverage with voice. There were areas on remote freeways driving from CA to FL that I lacked data coverage.

In 10 years with Sprint I've been satisfied and can't imagine going to another carrier when Sprint service has been superb.

You best bet is to look at coverage and from there select the carrier that meets your needs in price and equipment.
    yeah there are only 4 places i know i dont get coverage.
    on my way to rutland VT
    in my best buy at my local mall
    my fiance's work
    and a variety store locally.

other than that i do quite well.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks everyone so far for the responses I appreciate it. I use the coverage maps as a rough idea of areas covered. I guess I wonder what peoples experiences are when in basements and shopping malls too. I am not a techie by any means but I have seen discussions on my own Tmo boards that the Tmo coverage is smaller, decent but it is not of a strong enough spectrum to penetrate through buildings. Is there any truth to this? I have been in many situations meeting friends for a beer and all phones are on the table and lo and behold my BB 9700 has SOS only! I had the touch pro 2 and G1 with same issue of lost signal.

Global Posts
    17,212 Global Posts

Tmobile has a weaker footprint in general, regardless of building penetration.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had t-mobile when I shared a plan with one of my ex's (big mistake lol) and I did have that problem. I would get great service outside but as soon as I went inside my work or at the bar down the street like you mentioned I'd get may 1 bar.
    CrackBerry User

I've had Sprint for nearly 10 years. Never had a problem with reception. Last year, I drove cross country and no issues- CA, NV, AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, GA, TN, VA, WV, and DC. I've also used my phone in OR, WA, and UT.

When there has been a problem with reception, it was always a problem with the phone itself which usually required a replacement.

I always feel good about Sprint and wonder why more people don't make the switch! blah blah iPhone blah blah

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    3213EA39

I have had sprint for 10 years and have been very pleased. Sprint gets a bad rap.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    8,787 Global Posts

Don't forget Sprint also has a roaming agreement with Verizon, so wherever Verizon gets coverage, Sprint also gets coverage (in case you were also considering Big Red). That along with the cheapest prices, you really can't go wrong.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,668 Global Posts
    PIN
    The Dog Ate It

CDMA (Sprint & Verizon), has better building penetration than GSM (T-Mo & ATT), that's why you find a lot of government agencies using Sprint (more so), and Verizon. CDMA is the newer technology, one drawback to CDMA (which I've never experienced), is that as more people in one area begin to make calls the call quality decreases or so the experts claim.

There, Their, and They're are not interchangeable. Come on people learn the difference among the 3.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2

Hey, been using Sprint 5 years I guess. Over road truck driver here, travel all 48, Sprint isnt as bad as some make it out to be, lot better now.
    I dont care what ya hear, Sprint is the best for wireless data, speed & reliability for wireless data, check ur area & if u go Sprint u cant go wrong
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Stay far away from sprint at all cost there service is good i give tham that but there selections of phones suck the cs reps dont know a dam thing about nothing at all,they have so many changes to there contracts its crazy.so its up to you really who you go with but just dont go with them at all.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2

hey ya really cant go wrong with Sprint, their plans are great. Anyone living in a Sprint coverage area are nuts going with anyone else. I travel all the time, live on the road traveling & my Sprint does me fine, I do drop a few more calls travelling than my ATT & Verizon friends (while I am driving) Sprint doesnt seem to hand off tower to tower as the others, & I have noticed my friends on the Verizon never drop calls hardly but they sound so bad on my end its almost annoying talking to them, dunno why but every Verizon friend I know, that seems to be norm.
    Sprints wireless internet coverage & speed are 2nd to none, just got the 3g/4g card & I am amazed at price & speed
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

I honestly did not know that about the roaming agreements with Verizon. That sounds pretty good! GSM phones are nice in the sense that there are a few more choices and the ability to get unlocked phones from europe and asia. I am amazed that T-mobile lately seems to get the latest and greatest phones. first the 9700 which I have, then the Nexus One, and soon the HD2. But what good is the most high tech phone with all the bells and whistles on a craptacular network! LOL If I am going to switch (it pretty much looks like I will) I am either going for the Tour or maybe an Android. I may just wait until the Tour 2 drops. Sorry to bring up a phone debate when I know there is another thread on this! I just know I love my BB 9700 and it is amazing just wish it was on a better more dependable and widespread network. Thanks for the continued insight everyone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,166 Global Posts
    PIN
    None Now!

Quote Originally Posted by ejmdds View Post
    I honestly did not know that about the roaming agreements with Verizon. That sounds pretty good! GSM phones are nice in the sense that there are a few more choices and the ability to get unlocked phones from europe and asia. I am amazed that T-mobile lately seems to get the latest and greatest phones. first the 9700 which I have, then the Nexus One, and soon the HD2. But what good is the most high tech phone with all the bells and whistles on a craptacular network! LOL If I am going to switch (it pretty much looks like I will) I am either going for the Tour or maybe an Android. I may just wait until the Tour 2 drops. Sorry to bring up a phone debate when I know there is another thread on this! I just know I love my BB 9700 and it is amazing just wish it was on a better more dependable and widespread network. Thanks for the continued insight everyone.
    +1 i guess T-Mobile spends there money on getting the best phones which is why they still are in business lol but what is it if its running on a medicore 3g? if u can even call it that . They android selections right now are pretty good. but if you wait for Tour2 hopefully by then they might release the Wimax phone which might be till september..........
    Sprint Premier Member Since 09/19/04
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    30FCFB54

All carriers have their share of problems, but why spend all that extra money? Go with Sprint!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Went to the Sprint store this afternoon to look at the phone selection. Hero, Moment, or Tour are the frontrunners for me. I have the 9700 so am very familiar with the phone and OS but something keeps drawing me closer to the Android platform and curiosity is getting the best of me! I do not mean to start a whole new thread on which phone is better and what not since I have seen this posted before. I know that there are many variables that contribute to the phone experience, i.e. coverage, antenna quality in phone, etc. Just noticed many of you contributing on here have different phones and wondered if any of you have particular hangups with your phone and Sprint service. For example on Tmo the Nexus One has been released and is having less than spectacular experience for many users. Alot of evidence points toward the position and power of the internal antenna from HTC while google blames Tmo's network. Side by side comparisons however of G1 and MyTouch3G and Nexus One show on many occassions that the N1 never attains or keeps a signal when the other 2 phones have full strength 3G. Must be an amalgamation of several factors. Even the Bold 2 9700 I use on Tmo fails to keep a steady 3G.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,668 Global Posts
    PIN
    The Dog Ate It

Went from the Tour to the Hero and I have to say I'm happy with my decision. I don't miss the physical keyboard, the random reboots, having to reboot after installing and uninstalling apps and the battery pulls just to get the thing to work.

I say if you have time on your hands wait and see which Android device Sprint releases. If you can't wait try to pickup a Hero or Moment from e-bay or craigs list so that you're contract free and when something hits that catches your attention you'll have the ability to get new customer pricing.

CrackBerry User

yes, switch to sprint.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

Sprint has great coverage in the Midwest, especially in kansas city. Remember that you have a full thirty days that you can try as many phones as you want and can cancel your contract after you get a phone, so if you get a phone and don't like it you can always return it and try another. I would recomend sprint to anyone! And their phone selection is good unless you want an iPhone, otherwise I would say they are even or better than other carriers.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Well I am getting a pretty deep discount from my friend. I do not know specifics for sure but I know quite a bit less than what I am already paying with Tmo. Right now I pay $179 a month for 2 blackberries with unlimited everything and my home phone service included in that total. The landline service is VoIP and I plan on keeping that part. It is about $10 and some change a month. No contract so I can leave anytime without an ETF. Pretty positive I have made the decision to switch just going to decide now on what phone to go with. Might wait until the Tour 2 comes though. I do like the Android platform but just worry I will miss some of the simplicity of bberry.
    Last edited by ejmdds; 02-21-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast