Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. diggerdpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Phone as Modem suddenly outlawed????

    Ok,
    I have been with Sprint for years, and new to BBs this Christmas. One of the big reasons we went with them was the ability to use them as modems. We live in an area with no highspeed internet other than 12K dialup, and the BBs work great.
    Recently, my USB port got too loose for my laptop to recognize it. It will still charge, but I couldnt use as a modem any longer, which I have done for months. I went with Bluetooth, and needed to verify Sprints ISP name.
    I signed on with Chat, which has been great, and they told me my plan is not compatible with Phone as a Modem.

    I split my BB, (had a bit of training, and nothing to lose), and fixed the USB port well enough it will now charge, but will not be recognized by my laptop, which is funny, the Chat tech on the other tab says it is strange my device would connect at all.

    Any thoughts? I smell some BS at Sprint!!
    Is using a USB cable considered different than a Phone as Modem?

    Thanks, Digger
    Steve "Digger" Treinish
    Blackwater Water Rescue
  2. wolf1989's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    581 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    If you don't specifically have PAM on your account they will tell you that you don't have. There are ways to get around it. I'm by no means an expert on it but had you not actually been paying the $30 a month sprint owes you nothing as far as PAM goes.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  3. randabis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    252 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Sounds like a hardware issue with the port. If you were able to tether before with no data charges, you should still be able to tether, but it is likely your port is damaged too badly for the USB to correctly connect with your PC.
  4. Dusteater's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I have an 8830WE and SEP. I do not pay for PAM, though it works just fine for me. I have never had an issue connecting my laptop to the internet via USB cable.
    "Don't tread on me."
  5. wolf1989's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    581 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    What I was saying is they won't give him the ISP if he doesn't pay for it. You can tether through the USB without paying.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  6. Slingbox's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I do through Simply Everything for free
    Samsung GSII Epic 4G Touch
  7. diggerdpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Update---

    I got BB jealously this Christmas after buying the wife a Curve. Since I had used my Sprint upgrade, they wanted almost 500 for one for me. I went to eBay and picked up a WE 8830, great price, and I can live without the camera.

    I changed our plan to a Share everything, 1500 cell mins, and unlimited data. The rep I was dealing with sold me this under the guise we could use the phones as modems, as our internet service out here in God's country is a whopping 8K dial up. Yes, there are still spots like this. With the BB, we can get much better speeds.

    Recently, my USB port loosened up to the point that I couldnt charge with it, and since I have an Otterbox, I really use it. I had enough electronic training that I felt comfortable splitting it, and resoldered the pins in it. Now, it will charge, but the laptop will not recognize it. No sweat, I thought, I will use Bluetooth. I can get the phone and laptop to find each other, but couldnt get connected.

    I then log into chat tonight, and find out the Phone as Modem plan doesnt apply to us, even though we have been doing it for months. I needed the ISP name from Sprint, and this is how it started. My wife's curve is loose now too, but she has insurance, but even then, bluetooth would be easier for us, we could lay the phone in the windowsill, and have better signal.

    BUT, I am logging onto Sprint now again, and will see what is up. NOT happy...
    Steve "Digger" Treinish
    Blackwater Water Rescue
  8. diggerdpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    PS, if someone is in the same boat with using as modems, I would love to hear it.
    Steve "Digger" Treinish
    Blackwater Water Rescue
  9. bigdrew4u's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Just got off the phone with Sprint. After months using my curve as a modem, I am being told that I can NOT use this any longer and there is not a plan available for me because I am on the simply everything plan. I was encouraged by a sales agent last year to give up my air card (unlimited) and get the curve because of the ability to use it as a modem for free with the simply everything plan. I am pissed.
  10. diggerdpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrew4u View Post
    Just got off the phone with Sprint. After months using my curve as a modem, I am being told that I can NOT use this any longer and there is not a plan available for me because I am on the simply everything plan. I was encouraged by a sales agent last year to give up my air card (unlimited) and get the curve because of the ability to use it as a modem for free with the simply everything plan. I am pissed.
    Big Drew, we are in the same exact boat, and I am getting more and more honked, especially after getting dumped on live chat. They told me I could go with a Worldwide Blackberry plan, an Employee discount plan, or a Powerpack something Blackberry plan for 30.00 a month.

    So, to fill us both in, as long as you connect via USB, you are cool. If you try to use it with Bluetooth, it is considered a modem?

    Drew, will keep you updated, what did Sprint say the solution is?
    Steve "Digger" Treinish
    Blackwater Water Rescue
  11. diggerdpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default

    I finally talked with someone who didnt have mush brain. Long story short, our plans went to set cell mins, which I really dont care anyway. But, to add the phone as a modem, and a BB data pack to the plan, it costs another 45 a month. Bottom line? Our monthly bill went up 20.00 per month. If it wasnt for the good service we have had, and the fact our house really likes Sprint signal, and the fact we use the BBs as our internet source, I would think about leaving. Personally, I think they are just seeing people doing this, and getting their 20.00 a month. Sucks, but I am not smart enough to get around it.
    Steve "Digger" Treinish
    Blackwater Water Rescue
  12. randabis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    252 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    It is not unreasonable for them to charge you extra to tether your blackberry for internet service to your computer.
  13. diggerdpilot's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    No, it is not. What is unreasonable is for them to tell people to cancel a broadband card (of course, at a cost), and to use the phone as a modem, then suddenly say that was not supposed to happen. It is not my issue if sales people dont know this was not supposed to happen, and I am not the only one this has happened to. As a matter of fact, I was told this three times, once by a counter sales, and twice by Sprint agents on chat that this was the best way to go.
    Anyhow, I did get it worked out, and am happily surfing again via bluetooth. Thanks to all for the info!
    Steve "Digger" Treinish
    Blackwater Water Rescue
  14. numus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    684 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdpilot View Post
    I finally talked with someone who didnt have mush brain. Long story short, our plans went to set cell mins, which I really dont care anyway. But, to add the phone as a modem, and a BB data pack to the plan, it costs another 45 a month. Bottom line? Our monthly bill went up 20.00 per month. If it wasnt for the good service we have had, and the fact our house really likes Sprint signal, and the fact we use the BBs as our internet source, I would think about leaving. Personally, I think they are just seeing people doing this, and getting their 20.00 a month. Sucks, but I am not smart enough to get around it.
    You do realize leaving sprint and going with another service is going to cost you a lot more then the 45 dollars a month right?
  15. githalantas's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    222 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Yeah the simply everything plans (Or anything that includes data in the plan) doesnt have the tether option period, it cant be added or included. Yes there are some people that are using PAM /w the everything plan and Sprint is slowly cutting access and transistioning to new logins for PAM. So if your PAM just up and stops working and your on an Everything plan expect to pay extra or not use it.
  16. bfoster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    PIN
    BBM not installed
    #16  

    Default

    I had an odd thing happen 3x lately (same day)... go to log on with my computer and got knocked off SSV saying it didn't allow multiple logins?! I've had PAM for a very long time and have never had this happen.

    I do have some questions whether someone can access it if they have your ESN?
    I have had very high data usage even though I've been using the wi-fi connection (so I could still use my BB while on the internet).
    Last edited by bfoster; 05-06-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    Mas importante que tener lo que quiero, es querer lo que tengo

    Never accept "No" from somebody who does not have the authority to give you a "Yes".
  17. arcadence's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,025 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,027 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Sell your Curve and buy a new one. Continue using the USB. It's free.
  18. floorguy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    why not get satilite internet??

    hugesnet or something like that??

    and not worry about it?
  19. bfoster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    PIN
    BBM not installed
    #19  

    Default

    Lots of misinformation here...
    Using USB and tethering is NOT 'free', and if caught (without a PAM plan) you could get a large data bill. NOT worth the risk... at least not worth it to ME, which is why I pay the extra $10mo. The cost per month is a lot more now, and you can thank the people in the thread who want to get something for nothing for that because they are the reason it's now like $30 or $40mo instead of just $10mo., because someone has to pay for all those people stealing 'free' service, right?

    As far as Hughesnet Satelite, it's been years ago but I had them back in the early '00s and was paying $55mo for DirecPC. Don't know how much it is now or what the service is like. Back then upload speed was slow like dialup but download was blazin' even with 5 computers networked, so I liked it (also great for gaming).

    So many options out there now for people without the $ for internet, no reason for stealing. Local libraries have internet service, many dialup services are now only $10mo... if you must have tethering then pay for it rather than drive the cost up for services for everyone.
    Mas importante que tener lo que quiero, es querer lo que tengo

    Never accept "No" from somebody who does not have the authority to give you a "Yes".
  20. magicman1692000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    190 Posts
    PIN
    3040cd6c
    #20  

    Default

    tethering (PAM) is NOT AN OPTION any more. its only available on the old plans. people are tethering thru sprints porgram they have on their site. if they wanna cut the usage down take smartview off their own dang site! its their own fault. peeple are greedy and will manipulate anything they can. so not its not free, heck its non existant!!!!
    your favorite bb totin sprint rep
    Rockin a Pre, Tour, i576, and Exclaim....at the same time!
  21. bfoster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    PIN
    BBM not installed
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magicman1692000 View Post
    tethering (PAM) is NOT AN OPTION any more. its only available on the old plans. people are tethering thru sprints porgram they have on their site. if they wanna cut the usage down take smartview off their own dang site! its their own fault. peeple are greedy and will manipulate anything they can. so not its not free, heck its non existant!!!!
    "Phone as modem" is not an option, but "tethering" IS and if you do a search on CB for one of my posts, or call a Sprint store, you can get pricing. I called a store one day recently to see how much it costs now but don't recall how much now. You can NOT add it to a SEP though.

    Your thought processes are off anyway. By your rationalization, I shouldn't dare wear a gold watch because people are greedy and would steal it but it wouldn't be their fault, it would be MINE for putting it out there. {HUGE EYEROLL}

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  22. dch5460's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    I have been using pam as long as I have had my curve 8330. All of the sudden a few days ago, it will no longer work. My notebook can't open the port anymore via usb. Looks like sprint has cut off the pam feature. I am on the simply everything plan already and sprint wants to charge me more money for pam.
  23. Curve63049's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    156 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    bfoster wrote:

    Your thought processes are off anyway. By your rationalization, I shouldn't dare wear a gold watch because people are greedy and would steal it but it wouldn't be their fault, it would be MINE for putting it out there.
    Except that it's really not as clear cut as stealing your watch.

    Point 1. The *Sprint* 8330 Curve manual provides step-by-step instructions on how to use your phone as modem (PAM) - it's all right there on page 47 and nothing *there* states that you need a separate PAM or tether plan.

    If ever there were a place for Sprint to tell a Blackberry user on a SEP plan that such customer cannot use their Blackberry in PAM mode - that's a pretty logical place to put such language (i.e., in the user's manual). Yet, none is there.

    Do you give your customers step-by-step instructions on how to steal YOUR watch?

    Point 2. Sprint CSRs have been known to give "conflicting" information on the issue. Some will even tell you that PAM is included in a SEP plan (although the written docs clearly say otherwise).

    One assumes that you don't give conflicting information about whether someone can - or cannot - use your watch.

    Point 3. Plenty of Sprint customers on SEP plans (including me) do - in fact - use their Blackberry to PAM (albeit, in my case, only rarely). And there has never been one documented case of being charged for the "extra" data use.

    One assumes that if YOUR watch is stolen, you'll call the cops - if not every time, then most of the time. Sprint - in contrast - rarely (if ever) calls the cops.

    If Sprint KNOWS that specific people are doing this (in violation of the TOS), then by not doing anything about it (i.e., charging its customers for the "extra" data), then it is implicitly giving the "ok" to such useage.

    If Sprint doesn't know that specific people are doing this (in violation of the TOS), then it has a rule it cannot enforce . . . which is pretty stupid imo.

    The more apt analogy - IMHO - is baseball. The rule book describes the "strike zone" as being "thus and so." Of course, umpires have been known to "expand" or "shrink" their zone. It's not kosher under the rule book, but it's a fact. And every rational pitcher and batter is going to know what the "strike zone" is for a given ump - and try to take advantage of it.

    Right now, Sprint has one rule on it's books . . . and a different rule in practice. The rational Sprint customer takes advantage of the difference.

    If Sprint wants to enforce the letter of the law - so be it. But until then . . .
  24. bfoster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    PIN
    BBM not installed
    #24  

    Default

    #1. You honestly don't understand that each person does not get their own individualized manual tailored to their own specific plan for which they've signed up?
    Wow. Ok, let me explain. The phones are mass produced. The manuals are as well. They can't possibly cover every plan scenario in the manual - plans change often, phones go to many different carriers.
    But I love your thought process... because it's in writing, you should be able to do it. Do you also think because the ads says so, if you buy a box of tampons you can go horseback riding and swimming? when does the class action lawsuit begin?

    #2. If you're getting conflicting info it's up to you to find out the proper info. It's your name on the contract, your credit on the line. Stop already with the 'it's not my fault' garbage and man up. I have AAA credit and take no chances with it, so get sick of the whiners who want something for nothing then cry when get caught 'well CS told me xyz, or someone told me this was ok' when 50 other people told you it WASN'T ok.

    #3. I cannot believe your rationalization is because you've been stealing and Sprint has not caught you that it is therefore ok for you to continue.

    One piece of advice if *I* were you and going thru life with an attitude of 'theft is ok': I would get, and keep on me at all times, the phone # of a good criminal attorney as well as a trusted bails bondsman.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  25. thatsmegc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfoster View Post
    #1. You honestly don't understand that each person does not get their own individualized manual tailored to their own specific plan for which they've signed up?
    Wow. Ok, let me explain. The phones are mass produced. The manuals are as well. They can't possibly cover every plan scenario in the manual - plans change often, phones go to many different carriers.
    But I love your thought process... because it's in writing, you should be able to do it. Do you also think because the ads says so, if you buy a box of tampons you can go horseback riding and swimming? when does the class action lawsuit begin?

    #2. If you're getting conflicting info it's up to you to find out the proper info. It's your name on the contract, your credit on the line. Stop already with the 'it's not my fault' garbage and man up. I have AAA credit and take no chances with it, so get sick of the whiners who want something for nothing then cry when get caught 'well CS told me xyz, or someone told me this was ok' when 50 other people told you it WASN'T ok.

    #3. I cannot believe your rationalization is because you've been stealing and Sprint has not caught you that it is therefore ok for you to continue.

    One piece of advice if *I* were you and going thru life with an attitude of 'theft is ok': I would get, and keep on me at all times, the phone # of a good criminal attorney as well as a trusted bails bondsman.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You need to stop, you sound like you work for Sprint. You are wrong and you need to understand that, this is Sprints fault no one elses.

    I have the Simply Everything plan, not only SEP but Simply Everything Data that includes unlimited data. When I got this plan I flat out asked to make sure I was clear if there was ANYTHING I could do with my new phone and new plan that I could possibly be charged extra for. I was told aside from going over my minutes no. Not until that was made clear did I agree to stay a Sprint customer. The only reason I know PAM/Tethering is not technically included is by coming here and reading threads on it, threads where many people report back saying they called CS and got different answers and no one there really seems to know anything, but most of them say you can't do it with SEP, and you aren't even allowed to add the option if you want to because you already have unlimited data.

    So because the Sprint CS lied to me when trying to keep me as a customer (Also didn't give me the agreed upon price for the phone when I got my bill 3 months later) now when I need to use my phone as a modem I have to worry about being hit with huge charges and having to fight, so at work I'm stuck using extremely slow open wifi except when I need to do something involving personal information then I switch to PAM and hope I don't have a huge bill.

    I really have no plan on staying with Sprint after this contract is up. I'll call and give them a chance to keep me but it will have to be the newest BB for free and a note on my account saying I have approval to use my phone as a modem all I want. But I know they will screw me over again if I agree to that just like last time.

    Now I get to call them in the next day or two and find out why they are saying my bill is past due for $150 something dollars when I paid it 8 days ago.This is going to be so much fun I hate you Sprint, sad thing is no one else is any better.

    Bottom is line is:
    Sprint when not directly telling people they can do it allows them to believe they can far more often then telling them they can't.
    When you are told no, and ask to pay for the privilege you are also told no.
    If Sprint didn't want you using it on SEP then they could block you just like the other companies do.

    SEP/SV users: Have you upgraded to the new version of SV they pop up on you? I've been telling it no incase there is a complication.
    Last edited by thatsmegc; 05-29-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions