Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Official 4.5 update for Sprint

I read this article and surprise surprise, it updated my Sprint 8330...

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/11/blackberry-os-45-now-available-from-blackberrycomupgrades-no-seriously/

Is this a RIM official OS updated? And why is Sprint not saying anything about it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,154 Global Posts

Well I can't read that article from here but Sprint has not yet released 4.5. Other carriers have like verizon and people are putting VZW 4.5 on their Sprint curves but I won't.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    3041E082

It will work, as long as its the cdma version. Just google 4.5 os for 8330 and you'll find one. I'm running 4.5.0.97. Use crackmem or master control program to delete the vendor.xml file, install, and you're good to go. I'm with Sprint and have had two versions of 4.5 on my curve so far. No issues at all.

Adam D

BBerry Extraordinaire
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

No official word from Sprint. I too am running 4.5.0.97. Rock solid. No issues.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

If you have a sprint curve, I encourgae you not to wait for official OS. I am on my third OS(currently on .97) and I cant wait till .102 comes out for cdma.
    Maybe a bit of memory leak through out the week, but a easy fix everytime.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Installed .97 yesterday...no MMS but the sprint radio works though it did not work on .77...I can download xm radio app but it is kinda crappy sound quality...i get html email but it is worse than using the gmail app...it seems to run a bit quicker and a few more other options...i noticed it has flash player now...but the movie did not play cause it was so big a file.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    PIN
    Awaiting a new phone...

I'm also very curious to know when Sprint will make 4.5 official. I'm looking at the Empower HTML viewer standard program. Its very, at 50% off with the Heist sale going on. But why spend the money if 4.5 will be out soon
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3040A711

@nydog- I bought empower last time it was on sale, but when I upgraded to an unofficial 4.5 on my sprint 8330, the html email built in looks so much nicer!

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,514 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of sarcasm

I'd like to see a version of 4.5 that fixes the speaker problem (newer than 4.5.0.56).
    CrackBerry Abuser

So I am under the impression, after reading the above that my Sprint Curve 8330 will work with this upgrade although it is not a Sprint "official" one, yes?
    If so, could someone, very slowly, tell my exactly what i need to do to install the upgrade? Do i do it from my phone or my computer? Do I also do a seperate upgrade for my Desktop Manager? One before the other? I am kind of a novice here! TY
    Sprint
    Bold 9930
    Major Blackberry Fan
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    PIN
    Its Top Secret

Quote Originally Posted by DMD31842 View Post
    So I am under the impression, after reading the above that my Sprint Curve 8330 will work with this upgrade although it is not a Sprint "official" one, yes?
    If so, could someone, very slowly, tell my exactly what i need to do to install the upgrade? Do i do it from my phone or my computer? Do I also do a seperate upgrade for my Desktop Manager? One before the other? I am kind of a novice here! TY
    This need to be a sticky...Here are instuctions...I recommend 4.5.0.97 too not one issue and smooth as silk.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    RIM I will be back when you make a CDMA phone that compares with the EVO specs !!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

So this is not the sprint official one so I need to delete the vendor file, right?
    Sprint
    Bold 9930
    Major Blackberry Fan
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I'd just go to BlackBerry - Update your Device Software on my computer and plug in my Blackberry. The site gives you instructions...

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Has anyone tried this?

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28A17638

Quote Originally Posted by maddas View Post
    Installed .97 yesterday...no MMS but the sprint radio works though it did not work on .77...I can download xm radio app but it is kinda crappy sound quality...i get html email but it is worse than using the gmail app...it seems to run a bit quicker and a few more other options...i noticed it has flash player now...but the movie did not play cause it was so big a file.
    where did you get the xm radio app?
    "Living Life as Big, as My State"
    Follow Me on Twitter

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

A sprint employee posted the following in their forum (in the MMS thread)

From what I have been able to uncover...

The PictureMail update for the blackberries should come with the new OS update, that should also coincide with the release of the 8350i within the next few weeks. Interestingly Sprint seems to be skipping the OS 4.5 update alltogether and going straight to OS 4.6

EDIT: The OS update will be avalable for both the 8330 and the 8130, in addition to shipping with the 8350i.

If this is true, we'll be getting 4.6 instead, which probably means an even longer wait. One of their other employees also claims that MMS is almost ready, but didn't say if it would be pushed independently of an OS upgrade or included as part of one.
    Last edited by Rhoq; 12-01-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    PIN
    30312C9E

I call BS. There's been much discussion that the hardware for the older BBs can't support 4.6. And, I have mentioned in another thread that the people at buzzaboutwireless don't have any better info than any of us couldn't find on the web.

CrackBerry Newbie

The update is from Blackberry itself. I don't know how you get any more official than that?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    IT TO WIN IT

Quote Originally Posted by joe003 View Post
    No official word from Sprint. I too am running 4.5.0.97. Rock solid. No issues.
    With no mms right? If so whats the point of updating?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

With no mms right? If so whats the point of updating?
    I hope that was a joke. The added features of 4.5 have been covered, in detail, quite a few times already. MMS is overrated.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me and ask for it.

Anyone have a memory leak in 4.5.0.97 besides me?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Any idea if the 8830 is/will be included in OS updates? I'm just reading info on the curves it seems.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    November Oscar Papa Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom Dru View Post
    Anyone have a memory leak in 4.5.0.97 besides me?
    Yes - I think... After a battery pull restart, available memory on my curve is usually around 40mb. After several hours of uptime and with only the default applications running, memory decreases to around 30mb.

I would be curious to know if this is considered normal memory usage/fluctuation by RIM or if this is truly a leak.
    CrackBerry Newbie

how do i know what OS i have, what are the updates to 4.6 and can i update from my phone because im a mac user
    CrackBerry User

Default v4.5.0.101

upgraded about 2 weeks ago and runs smoothly, IMHO, worthy of trying to upgrade your BB!!!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast