Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Interesting News

Just read this article found it very interesting, wanted to share.

Sprint, Falcone’s LightSquared Said to Discuss Network Deal - Businessweek
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts

Sprint is all over the place with no true plan as usual
    Samsung GSII Epic 4G Touch
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,571 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slingbox View Post
    Sprint is all over the place with no true plan as usual
    +1000.... Sprints current 4G fiasco relies on Clearwire, which isn't healthy financially, and basically WiMax is a losing tech for phones now that everyone else has decided to embrace LTE. So they invested good amounts of money in Clearwire and gave them spectrum, and Clearwire basically has almost stopped deploying WiMax at the moment. Now Sprint is having to look at other partners for a 4G strategy which maybe LTE. If Clearwire goes under that spectrum will be sold off to the highest bidder(s), which won't be Sprint because they don't have the finances to pull it off!
    CrackBerry Addict

This reminds me of when HD DVD's and Blu-Ray came out. HD DVD's got left behind and everyone that didn't start with Blu-Ray switched to it. This is where I currently see Sprint. They started with Wi-Max got out of the gate quick, but LTE is where everything and everyone is going, and Sprint needs to switch now before they lose anymore ground getting into the LTE side.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZMc1834 View Post
    This reminds me of when HD DVD's and Blu-Ray came out. HD DVD's got left behind and everyone that didn't start with Blu-Ray switched to it. This is where I currently see Sprint. They started with Wi-Max got out of the gate quick, but LTE is where everything and everyone is going, and Sprint needs to switch now before they lose anymore ground getting into the LTE side.
    Right on!
    I remember the format war quite well Ive been member of Blu-ray.com since 2007.
    Sprints is definitely playing that game Its pretty sad really.
    I'm betting they loss big time due to it.

Global Posts
    7,571 Global Posts

Yep Sprint has wasted how many years and Billions on this WiMax rollout? What do they have to show for it? A ridiculously small footprint for a network that isn't even that fast, and that they don't even technically own or have any real rights too. They could have rolled out EVDO RevB, or HSPA+ and probably had a much more capable network than what they have now. Unfortunately when you try to do the Bleeding edge tech to soon it can make you bleed bad if you mess it up.
    CrackBerry User

well, the good this is that sprint can change to LTE with a change in hardware & firmware update sent to the current Wimax devices...and BAM! LTE network up & running.
    Intellectuals solve problems; Geniuses Prevent them!
    - A. Einstein
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,820 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terrellizme View Post
    well, the good this is that sprint can change to LTE with a change in hardware & firmware update sent to the current Wimax devices...and BAM! LTE network up & running.
    Unfortunately firmware to current device wont get the job done chips are not lte capable.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,132 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

if clearwire does get in trouble financially, Sprint owning over half the company can easily by them out at a much cheaper price. if not and they do auction off spektrum so what, Sprint has 3 times the amount of spektrum over Verizon with there cdma spektrum and Iden .there sitting on 6 billion in cash reserves, thats plenty of money to do what ever they want and the route there going with lightsquare is a smart one.

Global Posts
    7,571 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheech4 View Post
    if clearwire does get in trouble financially, Sprint owning over half the company can easily by them out at a much cheaper price. if not and they do auction off spektrum so what, Sprint has 3 times the amount of spektrum over Verizon with there cdma spektrum and Iden .there sitting on 6 billion in cash reserves, thats plenty of money to do what ever they want and the route there going with lightsquare is a smart one.
    You should look at this article as it explains some of the complexity of Clearwire's financial problems for both Clearwire and Sprint:

Sprintā€™s 4G Lead at Risk Amid Clearwire Cash Crunch - Bloomberg

Also that iDen and CDMA spectrum is being used. They'd have to shut down the iDen network and then reuse that spectrum for 4G. That would take a lot of time as you can't just cut off service to existing customers because of regulatory matters and they'd have to be transitioned to the CDMA network. This is something that should have already been done a long time ago. Sprint has some cash, but they have a lot more debt that they are still required to make payments on and they can't drop their cash reserves below a certain point without putting their own bonds in default.

Meanwhile T-Mobile is out there looking for LTE Spectrum for a 2014 to 2015 rollout and are rolling out and expanding a HSPA+ network that is faster and larger than the Clearwire WiMax network. I really liked that T-Mobile announced their plan through 2015 to investors and it is an achievable plan. They will be upgrading to 42 Mbps HSPA+ this year, then to 84 Mbps, and possible 168 Mbps before adding in LTE, and by that time LTE should be more mature. They are also gunning to displace Sprint as the number three carrier in the US, and have very little debt. If they execute the plan they laid out in January, they should do this easily.

Global Posts
    6,104 Global Posts

this is why i am holding off on 4g. honestly with my BB i dont think i would need it. i mean i bbm and txt and call ALOT but i dont thing 4g would help me.

when BB becomes a media style phone with netflix streaming then maybe ill think about 4g.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris

Global Posts
    17,752 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    this is why i am holding off on 4g. honestly with my BB i dont think i would need it. i mean i bbm and txt and call ALOT but i dont thing 4g would help me.

when BB becomes a media style phone with netflix streaming then maybe ill think about 4g.
    I agree with you , I just dont use my phone for media of that magnatude. Not to mention the screen isn't that big to take a movie in and be comfortable Thats what the PLAYBOOK is for